Jackson DK2QM or Charvel DK24?

Shenks

Experienced
I am considering one of the above guitars as my next mid-range purchase but for the life of me I can't make my mind up...

Not much to choose between them in terms of construction (as you'd expect), but I'm not sure if I can adjust to the idea of having a Jackson and a pointy headstock and whether it's a bit too 80's for me, but the Chlorine Burst finish looks splendid. As for the DK24, classic super-start looks in the Trans Purple Burst finish, but is there a drawback?

I've been debating over this for the better part of a week and suspect I am going to take the plunge soon but in the meantime if anybody has any direct experience of either of the above it may help me decide.

I have a Jackson pro sl 7 and the fit and finish is really really good. That chlorine burst finish on the DK2M is stunning. I almost bought one on the spot at GC but I resisted...my next guitar is going to be a Jackson MM pro series. My vote is for the Jackson.

And now I am beginning to think the Chlorine Burst is the finish I want and there is a Charvel San Dimas Style 1 in that finish even though it's only (only?) 22 frets... is this the point where I say I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure?
One way or another I will be pulling the trigger in the next 24 hours

@Bman - looks real nice but I've already pulled the trigger on a Charvel DK24 in Trans Purple Burst so maybe that's my next purchase when funds allow.

+1 on the Charvels, recently bought a white San Dimas and been playing it a lot. Post up the pic when you get it.

After my purchase, I started listening back to old Ozzy and Badlands. I rediscovered Jake E Lee. I'm so bummed that the first Badlands album is no longer 'In print' or can't be purchased. I listened to the last one on Apple Radio. Some great tones.

Funny, I've been looking at those two choices too the last few days. I think both are MIM, which I like. It's still kind of in the neighborhood, compared to Indonesia...

@Bman - looks real nice but I've already pulled the trigger on a Charvel DK24 in Trans Purple Burst so maybe that's my next purchase when funds allow.
I have a Charvel San Dimas Style 2 (Tele body shape) and I love it! Mine is the natural finish. The neck is incredible! The unfinished maple is super smooth and fast.

Funny, I've been looking at those two choices too the last few days. I think both are MIM, which I like. It's still kind of in the neighborhood, compared to Indonesia...

It's hard to find anyone has a poorly made Charvel regardless of where it's made. I picked up a 2002 MIJ Charvel Traditional Pro that's 24 frets. It's got the HSS configuration that I've been wanting and has the dinky style body. Real light and a shredder's neck. But I found a barely used USA Select HSS (same as pic I posted above) and jumped on it. I love this guitar! So I've got the MIJ up on Reverb trying to sell it for what I paid for it. It's really a cool guitar and I'd keep it but it's redundant.

My Les Paul collects dust at the moment. These new Charvels are so versatile. The coil tapping/splitting and lower output neck pickups make it so fun to play. They clean up so nicely and I don't have to rely on a 'clean' preset.

After spending 24 hours with my new DK24 I'll have to say that is fast becoming my preference over my other guitars, in fact it has knocked my Ibanez RG Prestige off the top spot which I didn't think would happen.
The neck profile feels considerably better in my hands as compared to the RG, I like the pickup switching options available from the 5 position switch, the trans purple burst is classy without being too obvious and in your face.

Pics to follow once I can force myself to put it down and pick up my camera :)

How does the neck profile on that DK24 (or any of the Mexico made Pro-Mod guitars) compare to modern Fender necks? I haven't been able to find any measurements. I'm not a fan of super thin necks like on Jackson and Ibanez guitars. They make my hand cramp up.

How does the neck profile on that DK24 (or any of the Mexico made Pro-Mod guitars) compare to modern Fender necks? I haven't been able to find any measurements. I'm not a fan of super thin necks like on Jackson and Ibanez guitars. They make my hand cramp up.

I have a Fender Am Deluxe Tele with Modern C and a Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas. They are both 1-11/16 at nut, but heel of Charvel is very slightly wider i think.

To me, the Charvel feels slightly wider and slightly thinner than the Fender Modern C. But not a major difference, still a much chunkier feel than a thin Ibanez neck.

DK24 small.jpg @mr_fender - I agree with @db2112 ... the neck profile is similar to a modern C Fender but with a few differences. For me it is possibly the most comfortable neck I have had on a guitar. My RG neck feels positively anaemic by comparison.

The heel of the DK24 is nicely shaved and shaped which helps when you get to the 'dusty end' of the fretboard. I also love the jack positioning where it is sat in its own angled recess.

Picture attached which doesn't really convey the quilted top and trans purple burst effect... in some ways this is the only criticism I have - the burst could be a bit brighter and bolder.

View attachment 46491 @mr_fender - I agree with @db2112 ... the neck profile is similar to a modern C Fender but with a few differences. For me it is possibly the most comfortable neck I have had on a guitar. My RG neck feels positively anaemic by comparison.

The heel of the DK24 is nicely shaved and shaped which helps when you get to the 'dusty end' of the fretboard. I also love the jack positioning where it is sat in its own angled recess.

Picture attached which doesn't really convey the quilted top and trans purple burst effect... in some ways this is the only criticism I have - the burst could be a bit brighter and bolder.
NICE! thank god it has double blacks as opposed to the double whites that they seem to love putting on their guitars, which I can not stand the look of.

Back
Top Bottom