IV anywhere on the horizon?

I've said this before (probably too many times) but for me, the only interface improvement I would realistically consider "game changing" and a sort of final piece of the puzzle, would be if Fractal released a separate unit that was a 1U row of knobs that rotated smoothly, without the "notched" or indented feeling when you spin them, with digital scratchpad labels, where you could assign each knob to whatever parameter you wanted.

So, basically a dedicated hardware version of the Performance Page with full size, smoothly rotating knobs that feel like real amp dials.

I don't see profiling as something missing that needs to be added - rather I see it as a less accurate, less flexible, less complete, more expensive alternative to fully functioning amp models. Personally, I have no interest in it, and, even if Fractal added it to function within existing hardware, I'd be disappointed at losing the unknown full amp modelling related improvements that were sacrificed to provide it.
I think profiling is a great tool for a couple of things:
  • Getting a close enough facsimile of your favorite amp at your favorite settings. For example you have a very expensive amp and are afraid to take it to gigs so you profile it and pack a good enough alternative of it into a modeler. It takes out all the guesswork of trying to dial some other digital model to your liking.
  • Appeasing all the folks asking for more amp models. It didn't take long for the QC online captures to be filled with all kinds of gear. This really helped when the selection of models on the QC itself is not that big.
I don't think the inability to tweak (or more like inability to tweak while keeping the same behavior as the real amp) is that big a deal if you have a starting point that is pretty close to your liking already. Modelers have all kinds of EQ tools to further shape it and people get a bit too hung up on having the amp model do it all when the end goal is just a sound that you like and works for your needs.

You heard 'em, Fractal. Better pack up operations.

Just joshin' ya.

Really the next wave of products will need:
-New UI (this is by far the #1 reason I read online where people chose a competitor's product)
- Much smaller form factor for floor units. Definitely gotta keep up with the likes of HX Stomp and QC here. I personally just can't lug the FM9.
-A suite of fullres IRs - maybe not a MUST but a great selling point
-Either profiling capability to profile pedals like the QC, or an update for pedal offerings. While I love what Fractal has, a decent numver of users at least on TGP say they prefer what Helix offers.

I agree that this generation is truly "there", but I think they can keep advancing and offering more.

Those things mean zero to me and probably most others. I would like a fully powered floor unit based on the III.

I don't see profiling as something missing that needs to be added - rather I see it as a less accurate, less flexible, less complete, more expensive alternative to fully functioning amp models. Personally, I have no interest in it, and, even if Fractal added it to function within existing hardware, I'd be disappointed at losing the unknown full amp modelling related improvements that were sacrificed to provide it.
What would be interesting, if it is possible, would be a version of profiling that could detect the circuit topology and tone stack corners in the profiled amp and figure out which model is closest to it, to eliminate the complaint that profile tone/volume controls don't act like the real amp. If Cliff put that out there, it would destroy the competition....

What would be interesting, if it is possible, would be a version of profiling that could detect the circuit topology and tone stack corners in the profiled amp and figure out which model is closest to it, to eliminate the complaint that profile tone/volume controls don't act like the real amp. If Cliff put that out there, it would destroy the competition....
now that I could get into - reference tone goes in, and a dialed in existing amp model comes out. Thinking about how this may need to operate internally though, it may inflict too much thinky pain to become reality.

so basically a miniature Cliff sitting in every unit, probing the target amp's circuit?

Time for a gym membership.

images

images

While I think the FM9 is an awesome unit, your witty, original comment can't hide the fact that its size stands out.

Those things mean zero to me and probably most others. I would like a fully powered floor unit based on the III.
Same. The "UI" complaints are really overhyped. I dont think a single pro player is picking a competitor for that reason. I still think the IV will have some enhancements, but Im not expecting them to abandom their already extremely good and simple interface. 🤷‍♂️

What do you have to feed him? Does the Axe-Fx 4 require feeding him some gourmet Michelin chef level food but the FM4 is ok with a bag of chips every now and then?
[tries to imagine gourmet food made from tires]
Honestly, FM4 Cliff is getting the better deal....

Back
Top Bottom