It's that time of the week. The new Axe Fx T&T video is out

Max Haze

Inspired
Today I'm showing you how you can make a really smooth change between your rhythm sound to your solo sound. I found that it was a very noticeable change when I added a volume block at the end of the signal chain to be able to boost the solo sound so I wanted to make this much smoother. So thats the great thing about the Axe Fx from Fractal Audio. you can male it do anything you want. So check out this video to see how I did it...

That's cool. I hadn't thought of using the damping on the scene controllers before. I tend to think of scenes as being discrete things, so a sudden jump is what you'd expect.

That's cool. I hadn't thought of using the damping on the scene controllers before. I tend to think of scenes as being discrete things, so a sudden jump is what you'd expect.
That's the cool thing with Axe Fx. Because you can add these things to any effect the world really open up. If you had a ordinary guitar pedal then you need that feature to be in the pedal but now you can add this to any effect. So it's a little like thinking outside of the box. In a way it's limited less. So if you come up with some cool ways of using it then let me know. But use it for good not for evil :cool:

Handy trick, Max. I can think of several of my presets where that'll be handy.

How do you convert your "-" or "+dB" settings to a percentage so the converted rhythm volume is exactly the same as your pre-converted rhythm level?

I think I know what you mean but It's hard to explain. But I will make a video about it in the future. For now I just use my ears...

This is a pretty cool way to do it. I didn't even remember scene controllers existed. Subscribed to the channel.

That said, could you please stop using the channel logo as a fade effect? It is pretty jarring to see it and gives it a cheap car salesman vibe.

Honestly, I read the description and thought nothing in this video would be useful, I watched it anyway. Having seen it I must admit I will probably start using that damping option, had not thought to do something like that.

The 'Damping' parameter is really handy. I use it in the 'Gain' and 'Volume' changes in my 'Clean to Mean' packs. It 'morphs' from one scene to the next, almost like using you guitar volume. Nice videos Max Haze

Just a couple of things to note.....
  1. The 'AX8' doesn't allow for attaching a controller to the 'Level' parameter in the Amp block. You can use the 'Level' parameter in the Cab block, a 'Vol/Pan' block, or (almost) any block really. Just make sure that it's after the Amp block (to affect only volume, not gain), and before any 'Delay' or 'Reverb' blocks (to keep the trails volumes unaltered). And that the block stays on in all scenes that you want the modified volume to be active.
  2. Set the 'Min' and 'Max' range in the 'Edit Modifier' window to actual values needed, and use a total range that is easily divisible buy 10 ( to make it easier to calculate the actual values).

For example.... Cab block 'Level' parameter with a 'Min' setting of '-5' and a 'Max' setting of '+5' (a total of 10 dB). Each 10% of the Scene Controller will equal '1 dB'.

Now a 'Scene Controller value of 0% will equal '-5 dB' (the 'Min' setting). A 'Scene Controller value of 10% will equal '-4 dB'. A 'Scene Controller value of 20% will equal '-3 dB'. A 'Scene Controller value of 30% will equal '-2 dB'. A 'Scene Controller value of 40% will equal '-1 dB'. A 'Scene Controller value of 50% will equal '0 dB'. etc.. Up to a 'Scene Controller value of 100% will equal '+5 dB' (the 'Max' setting)
  3. You can attach several parameters (even in different blocks) to the same 'Scene Controller' and set the 'Min', 'Max' (including negative values), 'Damp', and 'Mid' values of each attachment individually. Now a 0% 'Scene Controller' setting will give an exact 'Min' value of each attached parameter. A 100% 'Scene Controller' setting will give an exact 'Max' value of each attached parameter. And a 50% 'Scene Controller' setting will give an exact 'Mid' value of each attached parameter.

Last edited:
This is a pretty cool way to do it. I didn't even remember scene controllers existed. Subscribed to the channel.

That said, could you please stop using the channel logo as a fade effect? It is pretty jarring to see it and gives it a cheap car salesman vibe.
Thanks for liking the video. But I am just a cheap car salesman

Honestly, I read the description and thought nothing in this video would be useful, I watched it anyway. Having seen it I must admit I will probably start using that damping option, had not thought to do something like that.
That was very nice to hear. It's not a life changing thing but it works really well and it can make a big differens. You will look more professional. Watch out for more videos :):cool:

The 'Damping' parameter is really handy. I use it in the 'Gain' and 'Volume' changes in my 'Clean to Mean' packs. It 'morphs' from one scene to the next, almost like using you guitar volume. Nice videos Max Haze

Just a couple of things to note.....
  1. The 'AX8' doesn't allow for attaching a controller to the 'Level' parameter in the Amp block. You can use the 'Level' parameter in the Cab block, a 'Vol/Pan' block, or (almost) any block really. Just make sure that it's after the Amp block (to affect only volume, not gain), and before any 'Delay' or 'Reverb' blocks (to keep the trails volumes unaltered). And that the block stays on in all scenes that you want the modified volume to be active.
  2. Set the 'Min' and 'Max' range in the 'Edit Modifier' window to actual values needed, and use a total range that is easily divisible buy 10 ( to make it easier to calculate the actual values).

For example.... Cab block 'Level' parameter with a 'Min' setting of '-5' and a 'Max' setting of '+5' (a total of 10 dB). Each 10% of the Scene Controller will equal '1 dB'.

Now a 'Scene Controller value of 0% will equal '-5 dB' (the 'Min' setting). A 'Scene Controller value of 10% will equal '-4 dB'. A 'Scene Controller value of 20% will equal '-3 dB'. A 'Scene Controller value of 30% will equal '-2 dB'. A 'Scene Controller value of 40% will equal '-1 dB'. A 'Scene Controller value of 50% will equal '0 dB'. etc.. Up to a 'Scene Controller value of 100% will equal '+5 dB' (the 'Max' setting)
  3. You can attach several parameters (even in different blocks) to the same 'Scene Controller' and set the 'Min', 'Max' (including negative values), 'Damp', and 'Mid' values of each attachment individually. Now a 0% 'Scene Controller' setting will give an exact 'Min' value of each attached parameter. A 100% 'Scene Controller' setting will give an exact 'Max' value of each attached parameter. And a 50% 'Scene Controller' setting will give an exact 'Mid' value of each attached parameter.
Thanks my friend. Nice to hear that you liked the video. Thank you for all your information. I will be making a new video about scenes settings soon.

Back
Top Bottom