Its Hard to Say Good bye, MK II Users :(`

I'd like to keep my Axe 2 Mk2 up to date as long as possible. I have never used older software variations once the latest comes out.
Disclaimer: I never use ALL of the presets and amp models available to me but I ALWAYS use the latest firmware.

Any option available to Cliff, if he's willing, that frees space to allow for latest firmware at the expense of older stuff is a positive to me.

It's not that simple. With the Modeling Version in the amp block, users can install new firmware and retain the sound of their older presets. Thankfully newer firmware doesn't automatically change the sound of older presets because the Modeling Version parameter in the Amp block is set to whatever version was used when the presets were originally created. Newly created presets, on the other hand, use whatever version that the Default Modeling Version (in the Global menu) is set to. This is detailed in the release notes for the current firmware.
You know what else can retain the sound of the older presets? Not installing new firmware. I'd say, in exchange for the ability to keep up with firmware updates, giving away old modelling versions is a small price to pay.
I get that adjusting 40 presets to new firmware is time consuming, but it's really selfish to take away firmware updates from thousands of Axe users, just because some guitarist has no time or is too lazy... And yet, they don't even have to do it... just don't install new firmware!
This whole solution is obvious to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that simple. With the Modeling Version in the amp block, users can install new firmware and retain the sound of their older presets. Thankfully newer firmware doesn't automatically change the sound of older presets because the Modeling Version parameter in the Amp block is set to whatever version was used when the presets were originally created. Newly created presets, on the other hand, use whatever version that the Default Modeling Version (in the Global menu) is set to. This is detailed in the release notes for the current firmware.
That only applies for amp model updates, not other blocks. The drive block, wah, reverb, etc changes would cause the need to revisit all presets in the new firmware. The amp block modelling version is not a panacea.

It's so simple, for people how prefer older FW, they have it already, they won't miss anything. I vote for getting rid of the old FW versions in favour of more overall accuracy and better sound. I believe more people here want's that logically too.

Last edited:
This sucks...
I hope Cliff can wiz out a workaround again, but I fear this is the end for us Mark I/II users.

Last edited:
So since more overall accuracy is what everyone here is really after with continued updates how about this idea.
We get rid of everything but the basic tab.
What could be more accurate than having all the advanced parameters locked into their stock values right? I mean it's been stated a million times over that we should all be looking to move on to the new firmware modeling versions without looking back because we trust Cliff's decisions. SO, trust that Cliff made the right choices when he selected the stock values for those advanced parameters, and lock em down.
Imagine how much space that could free up not being able to select different values on deep level parameters, especially those values that you would never actually be able to set on an amp in the analog world because the amp would just blow up.

Sure, some people would complain about options being taken away from them, but hey it's all about accuracy right? So let's let the unit be as accurate as possible. It would probably drive new users to the Axe FX in droves as well, because let's face it, no one likes options right?

I don't understand.

Option 1 - Fractal still maintain the old modeling in new firmwares -> No updates anymore for mark II.
Option 2 - Fractal removes support for old modeling -> Updates for mark II.

How is this going to affect people that still want the old modeling support on mark ii, since there would be no more fw updates?

I think updates with no backward support is better than NO updates at all!

I don't understand.

Option 1 - Fractal still maintain the old modeling in new firmwares -> No updates anymore for mark II.

How is this going to affect people that still want the old modeling support on mark ii, since there would be no more fw updates?

But that will only last maybe a few more firmwares...then what? Will everyone come to terms with the end of the MK I/II?

I don't understand.

Yes, but what people are forgetting is that if you remove old modeling support for Mk users, you are also removing it for XL users, who have no reason to have it removed...

Really dissapointing news for MKi/II users. I believe the way to compromise is to get rid of previous firmwares. Most people are quite aware for instance that you can't use Windows 7,8 and 10 at the same time and should pick between one of them. It should be the same for MKI/II users and XL/XL+ users could get this option since they have a lot of spare memory

Really dissapointing news for MKi/II users. I believe the way to compromise is to get rid of previous firmwares. Most people are quite aware for instance that you can't use Windows 7,8 and 10 at the same time and should pick between one of them. It should be the same for MKI/II users and XL/XL+ users could get this option since they have a lot of spare memory
Already been stated that it is too much work to create multiple firmware versions for Mk and XL. They both run on the same firmware. Remove it for one, and you remove it for all...

You know, I said I wasn't going to let myself fall into this debate again, and here I am letting myself fall into this debate again....

Whatever shall be, shall be....

Drop the old remains, ring modulator and perhaps a few factory IR's, add those as optional user IR's, just like the ultrares samples that come with firmwares. One last update and then the mk2 is finally complete! No more update trouble, just enjoy good tone for years to come. :)

Drop the old remains, ring modulator and perhaps a few factory IR's, add those as optional user IR's, just like the ultrares samples that come with firmwares. One last update and then the mk2 is finally complete! No more update trouble, just enjoy good tone for years to come. :)

It's better just to sell the old units and buy the new ones or deal with the fact.

The Development and improvements will continue for a few more years before the Axe FX III comes out. Could all of us Mk I/II tolerate all of this future amazing new things coming out for XL/+ only units?

You know, I said I wasn't going to let myself fall into this debate again, and here I am letting myself fall into this debate again....

Whatever shall be, shall be....
I guess like most SW the Qx.y FW are built on a basic version that then is completed with add-ons and patches. Now we ask FAS to make the latest FW the base version combined with the need to maintain at least upgrade compatibility with the forelast FW (Q5.03), so kind of inversely integrate all evolutions. IMHO it's a lot of hassle, risky regarding non-regression issues (new bugs coming up) and effectively not easy to predict if it will be possible regarding memory space issues. Whatever be the outcome; we'll have to wait and see, but the road might be much more difficult than it looks like at first view.

I think Cliff is gonna fix it so we can get up to 6 .. :)
If I could afford it I would have bought an XL long time ago just to support FAS
and know that I had the latest and greatest ..

I sold all my old gear to be able to afford the II .. so I am out of luck on this one ..

but still I LOVE my mark II .. it sounds fantastic ..
it's just ... I've become a firmware junkie ..
at first I had it under control, I checked for updates once a week, but then the cravings
built up and since a couple of years I check for fw upgrades every day.

And if I can't check for it, I get very frustrated and cannot wait til I get in front of the computer
gassing for another fw update .. :)

I'm gonna try to print out the source code and chop it up with a razor and snort it to see if that's gonna
ease the withdrawals ..

;)

to my friends and family I say .. ohh I can quit upgrading anytime I want ..
.. it doesn't hurt anyone ... and it's my choice ..

and then I quickly get rid of them to go check for another firmware update ..

:)

That's why I sold my MKI when Cliff warned us about the eprom limitation.
It's still a good streetprice for MK I/II and I had to put about $500 for an XL+ upgrade.

Not a bad deal for 5 year old product if you compare to other used electronic gear like laptops/phones/ipads ....

Back
Top Bottom