Its Hard to Say Good bye, MK II Users :(`

file0001519937273_zpsw2imw6b8.jpg

Don't anybody dare breath.

Last edited:
It's a rough notion to take in.
Affording an XL isn't an option for many, and selling the II isn't going to get as much now that it can't be updated- I feel like that's going to hurt the market value of the product.

In that recent thread poll, it was something like 96% of the people who replied were OK with losing the older modeling algorithms if it meant continued MKI/II support. I have never once use anything but the most recent modeling algorithm, and I'm always using the latest features, bug fixes, and improvements. I've been really looking forward to those new bass amps, as 50% of my professional playing is on bass, as well as guitar. I really, really hope that this isn't the end of updates for my unit.

I think the part that's tough for me to reconcile with was the line was always "There's room for hundreds more amp models" when new firmware would come out and people would ask how many more could it hold. Then the Q4 hit and the doom got dropped on us "Hey MK1/II guys, the end is near." For me personally, I never use previous versions, but I also wouldn't want to see it taken away from people with the memory to support it.

What we need is a clever hack like the old piggybacked RAM on Atari 520ST computers to get them up to a meg of ram. Of course with the frequencies involved in computer gear these days solid copper wires carrying the signals for a couple of address lines likely wouldn't cut it.

I guess I just have to bite the bullet, save up a thousand bucks or so and try to flip my MKII and upgrade. With the state of the Canadian dollar it will be a bit of a kick in the nuts as it was pretty close to par when I bought my MKII IIRC and now it's like 70 cents on the dollar.

i agree - dump teh old firmwares - then we can all still benefit from improvements for mk1 /2 but if people have to use an older firmware they can choose to stay on 5.0.3.

that seems a fair balance as currently the few people that HAVE to have old firmware are spoiling it for the rest of us.................

Get rid of old amp modelling completely.
If people want to keep their presets, they can just keep old firmware.

It's not that simple. With the Modeling Version in the amp block, users can install new firmware and retain the sound of their older presets. Thankfully newer firmware doesn't automatically change the sound of older presets because the Modeling Version parameter in the Amp block is set to whatever version was used when the presets were originally created. Newly created presets, on the other hand, use whatever version that the Default Modeling Version (in the Global menu) is set to. This is detailed in the release notes for the current firmware.

Last edited:
Yeah, i've never used the rollback feature, happy to see it go if that's possible and frees up space.

However, I'm more interested in the Fx aspect of the the continued upgrades, as in the improvement to the drive pedals in the last upgrade, and perhaps the addition of other fx as they come to hand etc. I'd be happy if the amps remained the same, there's more than enough in there already i reckon, and they sound pretty damn good. I use a handful on regular basis and some others on occasion, but really the majority of them are an idle flicking through for personal entertainment kinda of thing.

What i'm saying is i'd be happy if the the amp modelling and number of amps stopped here for the Axe I/II, but upgrades for fx and bug fixes continued. If that's possible..

Mk2 user here, and in love with it.
Never use old FW !!!
Never because the soul of the AFX is to move forward to better modeling. Period.
So get rid of these and keep us updated, please cliff, as far as you can in terms of IT Techs.

What's more i'm fully ok to get rid of some advanced param i never use. And even less amp choice... there are so many amp in fact as a vast majority of peop' I use about 10 amps max. ok... and i move from 10 to others tens ...!!

What makes sense for me is to have the last fw for better feeling and sound texture, staying as simple as possible on the amp usage. With a good modeling amp, my point of view is that standard params along with eq are widely enought to get to great tone.

Last edited:
Mk2 user here, and in love with it.
Never use old FW !!!
Never because the soul of the AFX is to move forward to better modeling. Period.
So get rid of these and keep us updated, please cliff, as far as you can in terms of IT Techs.

What's more i'm fully ok to get rid of some advanced param i never use. And even less amp choice... there are so many amp in fact as a vast majority of peop' I use about 10 amps max. ok... and i move from 10 to others tens ...!!

What makes sense for me is to have the last fw for better feeling and sound texture, staying as simple as possible on the amp usage. With a good modeling my point of view is that standard along with eq are widely enought to get to great tone.

+1
That sums up my position pretty well. And frankly, I don't see why anyone would want to depend on a less accurate tube model to get their tone, especially when there are so many drive options and extra tweaks to alter the tone of a tube amp (or model there of), away from the natural tone.

Funny how the first firmware that us Mark I/II users might not get has the correct tone stacks for the Solo 88 models, and that's pretty much all I use. Remove the older firmware versions I say!

What if.....

We somehow were able to delete the amps we don't use to free up space? And store them on our computers just in case. Then, when you want to upload a new FW, Fractalbot tells us if we still have enough space on our units. I know I use a lot of ampmodels, but that's still just a fraction of the ampmodels I don't use.

Disclaimer; I have no idea how these things work technically whatsoever so this might well be one of the most idiotic posts on this forum in a long time, maybe even ever.

Back
Top Bottom