Its always been about the open "E" and open "A" chords for me!!

Liv4Truth

hello everyone, this is my second or third post now and I wanted to give some background to how I got here.

I didn't start playing guitar until later in life and at the request of my beautiful wife who has always supported my well being. She encouraged me to have something that I could do to help me get away from the stresses of the day/job/frustrations.... enter whatever else makes sense there.

I have always loved music and in particular the guitar.... fell in love with songs and bands who feature the guitar in a very prominent fashion. I decided to take lessons. I found a great guy at the local music shop and my journey began. I bought a a Mexi-Strat cause I thought that was pretty cool at the time and went for it. The first time he plugged me into an amp and taught me to play an open "E" chord and a power chord I was hooked. Just loved that sound! It brought me to a place where I thought I could be if I continued to learn and make music. There is something just MUSICAL about a distorted E chord.

No one told me that I would get this thing called GAS and it would send me on a quest for great tone. Ever since then I have always judged an amp by how dynamic and involved the open E or A chords sounded to me. I love a thick tone with great sustain that just dies away naturally while staying beautiful. I have run the circuit of expensive amps and became what many of you call a "cork sniffer". Problem is I never really improved much in simply playing the guitar which was the main goal right? I would happily move from amp to amp and play my limited repertoire always thinking there is better tone around the corner.

I knew about the AXE for some time but got disenchanted by modelers by my experience with Line 6 products (I think they are a great company just didn't inspire me). They just could not hold up to my open E test to my satisfaction so I moved on and never really considered digital stuff much anymore.

I started to get into home recording and got a double case of GAS (should have known better by now). And realized how good some of the modeling technology worked in this arena and I started to think there might be something to the AXE thing everyone raves about.

I never really got into the Pedal thing (must have a natural immunity to that strain of GAS) and always relied on the amp head to get what I needed. However, really started to learn about effects and different reverb's from home recording stuff and thought I might try a modeler.

Well, I jumped in with both feet (go figure.... is there a cure to GAS). I bought an AXE XL+ and a MFC-101. I am a full on geek so the thought of it was exciting in itself. I started reading this blog and became enthralled by the possibilities. Than the unit came and I started playing with it, presets mostly, but what I was immediately sold on was my open E test was flawless on almost every preset with gain.

Surprisingly I found myself not wanting to go anywhere else and sold my tube amps. That's right it was like I went to GAS AA and had overcome my need for gear. This thing does it all and has just musical tones galor that constantly keep me pleased with my open E and A "cork sniffing" test.

Thanks FAS team for an obviously solid product that is so very evident it was slaved over for years. My efforts can now go back to where they belong...... becoming a better musician!!

Cheers

Hi there I just started back in guitar after a long long break due too basically life got in the way and Iam in my late 40's and I also found a teacher around here to help me get my left and right hand in shape again it's a work in progress
And I too like the E 5 and A 5 Power chords and I am still very new to this amp tech stuff but it is so fascinating!!!
And the great folks on this forum that have been so helpful or just Awsome and very insightful and even some have created different kind of pdfs to help all of us with the learning

So I too just got the Axe FX 2 XL+
and understand that using this to help with stress
Welcome

Hi there I just started back in guitar after a long long break due too basically life got in the way and Iam in my late 40's and I also found a teacher around here to help me get my left and right hand in shape again it's a work in progress
And I too like the E 5 and A 5 Power chords and I am still very new to this amp tech stuff but it is so fascinating!!!
And the great folks on this forum that have been so helpful or just Awsome and very insightful and even some have created different kind of pdfs to help all of us with the learning

So I too just got the Axe FX 2 XL+
and understand that using this to help with stress
Welcome

Thanks Bcraig, this forum has been a wealth of info.... great community

I was wondering what kind of headphones?

At this time for now I have Sennheiser HD 280 pro 64-headphones
KRK Rokit 5 monitors

and so far sound really nice

Welcome @Liv4Truth

I think you will find quite a few of older folks here with similar stories (of course a multitude of variables in the journey). I too bought an AXEXL and it as been it's own path of wonderful discovery. I now have time to learn, play and enjoy ... best musical product I've ever purchased due to FAS and company with the constant improvements, fast responses and a great supporting community of helpful folks.

Back
Top Bottom