It's a parenting win when...

Rook

Power User
... you have to break up an argument between your kids only to find out that your 3 year old daughter is mad at your 5 year old son because SHE was listening to the new Cynic album and HE took it off to listen to the new Opeth album. And they are both over "Frozen".

Share your stories :)

... when you find your 6 years old daughter to strum your guitar after she said she wants to take drum lesson.... ;)

I'm still trying to get my 5yr old little girl to pick up the guitar. It's soo depressing at the moment, she prefers this annoying plastic battery operated guitar thing with buttons that plays kids tunes and many colourful lights. Maybe when my Axe FX arrives she will change her mind....!

I'm still trying to get my 5yr old little girl to pick up the guitar. It's soo depressing at the moment, she prefers this annoying plastic battery operated guitar thing with buttons that plays kids tunes and many colourful lights. Maybe when my Axe FX arrives she will change her mind....!

I've been a guitar teacher for several years and I've seen two kinds of kids coming to lessons - the ones who decided for themselves that they wanted to play the guitar and the ones whose parents pushed them into it. I know who I'd rather teach as there's a huge difference in attitude between those two groups. Kids have to come to this stuff on their own accord or they will never enjoy it IMO.

I've been a guitar teacher for several years and I've seen two kinds of kids coming to lessons - the ones who decided for themselves that they wanted to play the guitar and the ones whose parents pushed them into it. I know who I'd rather teach as there's a huge difference in attitude between those two groups. Kids have to come to this stuff on their own accord or they will never enjoy it IMO.

Very true what you say. FWIW, I'm not forcing her to learn, I'm encouraging her gently and only when she asks questions. Drums on the other hand get her grinning from ear to ear! :shock

You're right, everyone has to follow his/her inspiration and play whatever he or she wants.

When you tell your kid that you are tired of stepping in her dogs crap in the backyard, and you want her to do something about it, now! So she grabs a can of flourescent paint from the shed then sprays all the turd piles with it. :lol

A few years ago I bought the Guitar Hero on Tour pack because neither of my boys (8 and 10 then) had expressed and interest in learning an instrument. They like music but no interest in playing anything. The first few days they were less than enthused and a bit shy. One played the bass lines because it was easier while the other wanted to sing. I played the guitar parts. A week or so later they ask if we can all play. They wanted to do one of the Tool songs - Parabola which was impressive to me already.

I have it pumping through the surround sound and you can barely hear the clickity clack of the controllers. The 8 year old is singing and can't really read all of the words going by so he's just improving which is hilarious on it's own. By mid song we're all really getting into the groove and I can see the intensity on their faces. My 8 year old by this time is standing ON the coffee table leaning forward and belting out something that I'm sure Maynard would've been proud of. lol

Too funny.

I have heard people bagging on the Guitar Hero type games ("learn a REAL instrument"). This ^ is why they are wrong :) It is like a gateway drug to real music.

...when your 5yo can sing every word of highway to hell, complete with Brian Johnson impersonation and guitar fill mouth noises!

Back
Top Bottom