It's 2021 and the FC-12 display still looks like garbage

WillfullyDamned

Seriously, can a Fractal developer/engineer weigh in on this.

The text/display looks unforgivably awful. For such a integral tool of the Axe FX 3 the choice for the display seems like such a cop out and glaring design flaw.

Is there no really no way for Fractal to patch this thing to make the text more BOLD AND READABLE? Or are we going to have to dish another unreasonable amount of money for an updated display with a Mark 2/3 version of the unit? My eye sight is very good yet this unit still forces you to squint when standing up or at certain angles to read anything. Changing the display contrast and global brightness barely helps.

Its not best agree but me thinks its in the hardware and software update wont work to your satisfaction - is what it is

I agree, “seems” like a item ripe for improvement and those of us without great vision have to stoop down on stage to read which is not very rock and roll. Been on the wish list for a long time.

II have no issues or problems with the my FC-12 display, and I have to wear glasses. Can't operate a switch from 8' away, and have no issue remembering the layout.

There's bound to be a way of using a couple of (height/tilt adjustable for focus and view angle) made to measure, retrofit, magnifying substrate strips overlaying the windows. I call it the @ZenRigs Man challenge ..... c'mon you know you can do it ..... I'll only take 5% commission for the idea ... can't be fairer than that :)

II have no issues or problems with the my FC-12 display, and I have to wear glasses. Can't operate a switch from 8' away, and have no issue remembering the layout.
How tall are you? I’m 6’1” and like to see the display info from a foot or two back... I estimate that my average viewing distance is about 7 1/2’. The only display I can read consistently is the large lcd on the FC6. I started wearing overpowered contacts that correct past 20-20 for gigs, but still have to squint and bend down to pick out the yellow text.

There's bound to be a way of using a couple of (height/tilt adjustable for focus and view angle) made to measure, retrofit, magnifying substrate strips overlaying the windows. I call it the @ZenRigs Man challenge ..... c'mon you know you can do it ..... I'll only take 5% commission for the idea ... can't be fairer than that :)
Looked at it ages ago, tried several ideas, none of them worth the bother. For it to be useful magnification, the magnifier has to be a distance above the display. Directly in contact with or very close to it is pointless. When u start to get crazy with height mounting etc, prices get silly and it's uneconomical to make or buy. Better to invest in a good pair of glasses!

How tall are you? I’m 6’1” and like to see the display info from a foot or two back... I estimate that my average viewing distance is about 7 1/2’. The only display I can read consistently is the large lcd on the FC6. I started wearing overpowered contacts that correct past 20-20 for gigs, but still have to squint and bend down to pick out the yellow text.
6' and slightly over half the time sitting in a high chair, barely able to just touch the front edge of FC-12. If I want to hit a switch, I roll forward and then back. But when standing, much further back until I need to place foot on switch. Also, my "Bright" is set to only 75%.

6' and slightly over half the time sitting in a high chair, barely able to just touch the front edge of FC-12. If I want to hit a switch, I roll forward and then back. But when standing, much further back until I need to place foot on switch. Also, my "Bright" is set to only 75%.
Fair enough. I agree that bringing the brightness down helps....especially on the mini displays. All I can say is that your eyes work much better than mine. I'm jealous. :p

Fair enough. I agree that bringing the brightness down helps....especially on the mini displays. All I can say is that your eyes work much better than mine. I'm jealous. :p
Don't envy my eyess, cataracts are getting to the point they will (both!) probably need surgery this year. Nothing to look forward to at all.

Colour-coding your effects (or scenes,’or whatever) and putting the same switches in the same places can help.
My layout is as you describe, Scenes across the top, 1 to 6, effects on the bottom row, including a press & hold BOOST. Preset increment switches are external to the FC-12, but stuck to the frame.

I agree, there needs to be a larger text or bold option or something on these. Ideally, it would have been nice if the strips were a bit bigger.

Been thinking about this while sitting at my Axe and FC-12, and I believe it is because I use a standardized FC-12 layout for EVERY preset.
I "know" what each button is going to give me, so reading the labels is less important. Won't work for everyone, but me be happy!
Using a consistent layout is smart; You can memorize which switch handles what, and it becomes second nature eventually.

Back
Top Bottom