It's 2020, why can't we have a completely wireless set up?

I'm picturing a rechargable power brick that connects via FAS Link to an FC controller and communicates with a dongle connected to the Axe. How badass would that be?

The same reason why gamers prefer wired controllers or mice, or why most people suggest a wired internet connection over wifi... Because its more reliable and less prone to latency and interference.
I've had far more "interference" in terms of bassists and vocalists stepping on my cables than with my wireless, which is a decent one, analog, and usually set-up-jump-enjoy-and-forget. 😅😅

I guess the Red army choir would have more trouble, but for five/six musicians on stage there is still enough spectrum IMO.

Regarding wireless MIDI control... I'd be hesitant of using digital bands as I indeed have seen problems with 2.4 GHz devices, but I am extremely interested in trying. I understand some people can see wireless MIDI as an extravagance... But when sharing the stage with other bands I appreciate easiness for packing/setting up everything. A single power cord in this case is far easier to disconnect and unlike signal/MIDI cables is usually not entangled with other wires.

Full wireless means it's just a matter of closing/opening the rack, pick up backup guitar and enter/leave the stage. Less than a minute. Additional connections imply winding up cables and watching for other connected things which may not be easily reachable, and all this in front of your audience, which is of course detrimental to the "scene magic".

When it comes to mission-critical applications and reliability, the KISS principle comes to mind. WiFi is mature and continually improving with each newer standard, but I still get dropouts from time to time. Not with Ethernet, which has only been a problem for me if the cable was bad - and this has only happened to me, like, twice in my life. And I worked for Broadcom at some point, writing C code for embedded Bluetooth devices. The Bluetooth spec is enormous and bogged down by having to be backward compatible with previous versions and such. It’s so bloated and complicated, that I’m not surprised that even Apple AirPods still suffer from dropouts from time to time. I cannot in good confidence put “reliable” and “Bluetooth” in the same sentence.

There’s also the problem of introducing additional points of failure when you add more bleeding-edge features to your signal chain (or even control peripherals). Active electronics require reliable power. Batteries need their levels checked periodically and power cables can fail (although I’m guessing this rarely happens), as well.

After having enough stuff break on me, I kind of just want to go back the stone ages... and I’m half-joking about that. Still don’t trust using my phone as an alarm because of the handful of times the alarm just didn’t go off for, like, no apparent reason.

Obviously you power the FC by stomping switches. Each switch generates a little little power to the unit, so you just have to press something frequently.

ask the guys at https://www.lectrosonics.com :p
Jon-Mendel-Records-the-Sound-of-Vermont-with-Lectrosonics.jpg

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/14339428/
Looking like that is likely to get you shot......as a terrorist!

Technology would be way more advanced if our governments did not hide the technology from us. Remember the book who killed the electric car? I am 49 now and when I was in grade school we went on a field trip to a factory cant remember where but our teacher showed us a engine that was cut in half in a glass case and the teacher told us that this is a synthetic motor that runs with no moving parts that has a lifetime warrantee but the automotive industry will not produce it because it would hurt them. this was in the mid 70's. They also had solar cars in the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom