It works! $99 Windows 10 Tablet Running AX8-Edit

I guess I just misread that part about the size of the Micro SD card. I just deducted when it said you could "expand the memory up to 64GB with the microSD card slot" that it was saying you could add a 32GB card to the already available 32GB internal drive to get a total of 64GB. I did just get finished reading that people have been able to use the 128GB cards with no issues. That $50 price tag at Best Buy is almost too good to pass up though. I may head out and pick one up later this afternoon. I don't really need 128GB of extra storage, but it would be nice to be able to throw some movies on it for when I am traveling. Give me something to watch on a portable device that is bigger than my Note 5.
Yeah, I bought a 64 and a 128 gb card. Gonna use one for my phone and the other for the tablet. Just not sure which will get which.

I disconnected the keyboard from the Nextbook Flexx 10 and connected it to my AX8. AX8-Edit runs great on what is now a tablet. Response when changing presets or scenes or calling up different blocks or swapping x/y etc... seems similar enough speed wise to my i7 16GB MacMini. Backing up the AX8 using Fractal Bot was slow, but it did work.

The beauty of this for me is that I can now tweak and create presets on my AX8 anywhere. I don't have to bring it upstairs to my computer. That means I can have it hooked up to whatever system I have set up in the basement at the time whether it be my Bose L1, Alto monitors, an acoustic guitar amp, in 4cm with an amp etc..... This is awesome. And I have a decently cool Windows tablet and mini pc with the keyboard. I'll still stick with my iPad for most tablet use though...

I bought one of these, nice little unit. Getting my Axe8 on Monday.

This would be a particularly nice solution for using with the AX8. Quick and easy changes at gigs without menu diving.

You can run Windows on iOS9 using Parallels: http://lifehacker.com/5638034/parallels-desktop-comes-to-ios

I haven't tried it so I don't know how (or if) it works - just sharing the link I found.

Also, Roland, iPUC and others have MIDI-over-Bluetooth devices.
This won't work unless you have the AX8 connected to your Mac. It's not running Windows on the iPad, but running a remote desktop on the Mac, which is running Windows.

Dang....got my hopes up, since I do have an iPad Air, and it would be great to just purchase an app for this purpose instead of a new tablet. However, that new tablet is very tempting...

Just a heads up

Just got my AX8 (thanks), and one of the first things I did was see to if the AX8-edit would work with a Zivix Puc+ wireless bluetooth midi device; It seems to. (there might be issues).

So I can have AX8-edit running without being tethered to the floor unit. I tried this with an Amplifire, but it doesn't work. Worked right away with this app using the Puc+ USB connector, which is two way,(apparently).

Sort of cool. $100 for the Puc+. I mean, it's just one more wire out of the way

Last edited:
Just a heads up

Just got my AX8 (thanks), and one of the first things I did was see to if the AX8-edit would work with a Zivix Puc+ wireless bluetooth midi device; It seems to. (there might be issues).

So I can have AX8-edit running without being tethered to the floor unit. I tried this with an Amplifire, but it doesn't work. Worked right away with this app using the Puc+ USB connector, which is two way,(apparently).

what are you going to use it with something like set maker? Ax-Edit won't work on an ios device

what are you going to use it with something like set maker? Ax-Edit won't work on an ios device

I have it running on a Macbook 12". I suppose I could use my Surface Pro for the high tech thing, then again I don't think this Puc+ works on WIndows (just Mac and iOS), not sure.

Last edited:
Just a heads up

The good thing is that AX8 also supports the MIDI power spec. I've used an mi-1 with my keyboard controlled from my iPad for changing patches. It powered on just fine when I plugged into the AX8, so it should work fine. It's only $48 from Amazon. I think I'll be purchasing another one. :)

The good thing is that AX8 also supports the MIDI power spec. I've used an mi-1 with my keyboard controlled from my iPad for changing patches. It powered on just fine when I plugged into the AX8, so it should work fine. It's only $48 from Amazon. I think I'll be purchasing another one. :)

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one.

This just went over my head. Are you saying that if you connect little, dual midi connector into the AX8's midi in and out, you can control the AX8 from an iPad? If so, what app is needed for the iPad?

It requires that your iPad is new enough to support midi over bluetooth (my iPad 2 does not, but air 2, 3, mini and several others do)

This just went over my head. Are you saying that if you connect little, dual midi connector into the AX8's midi in and out, you can control the AX8 from an iPad? If so, what app is needed for the iPad?
Some guys are using things like Setlist maker at gigs ect. Ax edit won't work with ipad

The good thing is that AX8 also supports the MIDI power spec. I've used an mi-1 with my keyboard controlled from my iPad for changing patches. :)

Wow, this thing is better than the Puc+ and costs half as much. :D

Thing is, I'm getting a 'time out' message when downloading blocks. Now, I don't have a direct USB connection to my Mac (maybe latter today-need dongle) to see if I can take care of that 'hardwired' and then use the BT midi after that. Or, I may not work do to time-outs.

We shall see.

I'm thinking it would be fun to try using a MIDI controller app on an iPhone/iPad as an external controller for something.

If I can't find something I like I may write something myself. I was thinking it'd be cool to take advantage of the proximity sensor they use to turn off the screen as you get the phone near similar to the Roland D-Beam. But according to the Apple documentation it only supports on/off.

Back
Top Bottom