IT WAS THE SOUNDCARD! WTF!!!

What do the settings under Output 2 look like?

oxwiYCr.png

Exactly which "sound card" are you using that has an XLR connector? Do you mean a USB interface?

What OS, Windows or MacOS? If Windows, what driver version is the interface/card? Does the card/interface need to have its input toggled to the XLR?

Hello everyone !!
I FOUND IT !
It was my fu***** soundcard who thought it was a good idea to send 33V DC (why 33??) even when the phantom power switch is off..... It just fried the out 2, and out 1 the next day. I just send my Axe Fx to G66 and my soundcard to Thomann to fix the problem. But i wanted to share my problem with you guys, if anyone use the axe fx like me (direct into a soundcard) use some DI !!!!! don't be like me....

Hello everyone !!
I FOUND IT !
It was my fu***** soundcard who thought it was a good idea to send 33V DC (why 33??) even when the phantom power switch is off..... It just fried the out 2, and out 1 the next day. I just send my Axe Fx to G66 and my soundcard to Thomann to fix the problem. But i wanted to share my problem with you guys, if anyone use the axe fx like me (direct into a soundcard) use some DI !!!!! don't be like me....
What kind of soundcard is it?

Hmmm, I thought the outs on the fractal stuff were safe from phantom power? Although phantom power isn’t 33v, maybe it had high current?

Hmmm, I thought the outs on the fractal stuff were safe from phantom power? Although phantom power isn’t 33v, maybe it had high current?
High current isn’t possible since the Axe output isn’t going to draw anything. In fact no current is possible at all which is why phantom power at the outputs does not effect the Axe. Something else going on here. Not really possible to “fry“ the outputs with an audio interface.

High current isn’t possible since the Axe output isn’t going to draw anything. In fact no current is possible at all which is why phantom power at the outputs does not effect the Axe. Something else going on here. Not really possible to “fry“ the outputs with an audio interface.
Direct from Knut from G66 (they sell fractal products in europe) : "I hope that Phantom Power was turned off at the clarett 8, because 48V PP can toast the OUTS of the AXE FX 3"

This is not true. The Axe-Fx III has phantom power protection on the XLR outputs.
It's not me who said it, it's the tech support
But what are the chances that my soundcard have troubles with the phantom power and that the output of my axe fx out who are connected to the soundcard stoped working?
i was wondering : on the out 1 if the xlr connectors stop working (imagine they are disconnected) do the jack outputs (of out1) still work? because mine don't.... and when the out 1 stoped working, both Left and Right stoped working.

Ditto on the UA stuff. I run an Apollo Quad with many FX I purchased for it and couldn't be happier.

This is not true. The Axe-Fx III has phantom power protection on the XLR outputs.
Of course is the AXE FX 3 protected against PP. Fairly good.
But I do worry about the units, the AXE FX is connected to!

As I lost a lot of gear to PP issues over the last 30 years, I always suggest to turn off PP when connecting gear to consoles.
Especially when it's from Behringer. ;-)

Just kidding. Even when I plug the AXE / FM to my RME UFX II, I always check PP first.

Saftey first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole
Nah Focusrites are solid (everything else you mentioned is great too). Especially the Clarett line.

Definitely. No problems whatsoever with my 3rd gen Scarlett 2i2, and I'd expect even better performance from the Clarett line.
Honestly, I had a Scarlett 18i20 that I got after selling my M-Audio Profire 2626, and I seriously regretted it for ages. The Scarlett drivers were utterly trash, and the noise floor of the 18i20 unit was piss poor.

I eventually replaced it with a MOTU 8-Pre which was much better, but then got an Apollo x8p which was fantastic.... I sold that after moving over to using more outboard, and now I'm saving up for an Antelope Discreet 8.

(sorry, slightly off topic!)

Back
Top Bottom