That dude was responsible for killing music
How? Or do you mean the 90's music killed the 80's hairband scene? Because thank the maker for that. :)

Back to OP.
I remember not caring much at the time, I was in 8th grade and a metal head. The kids that were in to the Seattle scene were all upset and a friend had told me what happened. It didn't click for me. I was way to busy becoming a guitarist and thought only of playing more guitar. Not much has changed. I would not become a Nirvana fan for almost another ten years when I was in college and roomed together with my childhood best friend. He reintroduced me to a LOT of different musics, Nirvana being one.
And here it is 20 years later. Holy cow, what happened to the time? Yesterday I was a boy.

Last edited:
IMHO Nirvana has been overrated most of the time. Bands like Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, Queensryche, which are also from Seattle (if I'm not right, correct me, please) didn't get the same attention, for whatever reason. So this bloke shot himself and became more famous than he was already, when he was alive. I've read Cobain's biography, but a dysfunctional childhood is nothing you can blame at all, when you are old enough to handle your fate.

Nevermind & In Utero are really great albums, IMHO Dave Grohl's music with the Foo Fighters has a lot more potential.

@ Funeral: Yeah, you're damn right. Time goes by....

Yes and no: Suicide runs in his family. Not for you or I to decide how much pain he was in or how much he could take. I was oon the way to a state police barracks to pick up my mother's possessions (she'd just been killed in a pretty horrific car accident, along with my stepfather a few days before) when I heard the news over the radio. Not a good day at all. On a lighter note, my kids were 4 and 6 when Nevermind came out. I have many happy memories of us jumping on my bed like a trampoline to Lithium...
IMHO Nirvana has been overrated most of the time. Bands like Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, Queensryche, which are also from Seattle (if I'm not right, correct me, please) didn't get the same attention, for whatever reason. So this bloke shot himself and became more famous than he was already, when he was alive. I've read Cobain's biography, but a dysfunctional childhood is nothing you can blame at all, when you are old enough to handle your fate.

Nevermind & In Utero are really great albums, IMHO Dave Grohl's music with the Foo Fighters has a lot more potential.

@ Funeral: Yeah, you're damn right. Time goes by....

I always felt that if the 80's rock guitar was about how technically proficient your playing was, I felt the 90's was about how minimalist your playing was. Excessiveness led to minimalism. The reason I wasn't a fan of Nirvana was because their music didn't just feel minimal. To me, it felt like punk that lacked even more intelligence. They just felt "dumb" to me. I was so happy when I discovered that other guitarists felt the same way I did.

The odds of anyone being noticed at all are so small in the music industry. I just couldn't understand how someone could win the lottery and then commit suicide.

Death by drugs I can understand. If you take drugs and suddenly have a mountain of money bad things can happen.

How can you be suicidal because your house is too big, your car is too nice, and too many people love your music? Those things sound like treatment for suicidal tendencies to me!

The odds of anyone being noticed at all are so small in the music industry. I just couldn't understand how someone could win the lottery and then commit suicide.

Death by drugs I can understand. If you take drugs and suddenly have a mountain of money bad things can happen.

How can you be suicidal because your house is too big, your car is too nice, and too many people love your music? Those things sound like treatment for suicidal tendencies to me!

For a private guy, being one of the most famous people on the planet can be torturous. He didn't want the money or the fame. He just wanted to make music and have fun, but found himself in a situation where he was saddled with a massive amount of responsibility.

Besides, Courtney Love killed him.

Bands like Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, Queensryche, which are also from Seattle
And let's not forget Alice in Chains, which kinda got "lost" in the big shadow that was Nirvana at that time and never got the fandom it deserved.
I don't know what it is with grunge bands that attracts the suicide of lead singers. RIP Layne.
IMHO Dave Grohl's music with the Foo Fighters has a lot more potential.
Couldn't agree more. The Foo Fighters are an incredible band that still prove up to this day that rock music indeed CAN make it's way into the charts. Plus, Dave Grohl is one of the most amazing and down-to-earth stars on this planet and a great entertainer on his own.

Well, maybe the guy was actually sick. Mental health really dosn't care how big your house is or how nice your car is....

How? Or do you mean the 90's music killed the 80's hairband scene? Because thank the maker for that. :).

The hairband scene gets a lot of abuse but the fact of the matter is that those hairbands brought virtuoso guitar playing to the mass radio markets to a degree we may never see again. I could certainly do without the glam but that music is responsible with my love affair with these 6 strings

How? Or do you mean the 90's music killed the 80's hairband scene? Because thank the maker for that. :)

Back to OP.
I remember not caring much at the time, I was in 8th grade and a metal head. The kids that were in to the Seattle scene were all upset and a friend had told me what happened. It didn't click for me. I was way to busy becoming a guitarist and thought only of playing more guitar. Not much has changed. I would not become a Nirvana fan for almost another ten years when I was in college and roomed together with my childhood best friend. He reintroduced me to a LOT of different musics, Nirvana being one.
And here it is 20 years later. Holy cow, what happened to the time? Yesterday I was a boy.

+1

Similar story for me, didn't really notice them until later. Cobain was constantly fighting the tape and was quite a serious song writer...His legacy will live on for some time, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom