It runs Doom

Don't know if this is apocryphal, but I've read Dali would hold a spoon such that it'd fall on the floor and wake him when he'd fall asleep in his armchair. Has anyone tried this method?

Don't know if this is apocryphal, but I've read Dali would hold a spoon such that it'd fall on the floor and wake him when he'd fall asleep in his armchair. Has anyone tried this method?

yeah, lots of times with keys. Great for apower nap and it makes sure that you do not sleep so long it will make it harder to fall asleep at night.

They key here is that he was in the liminal space between wakefulness and sleep. Some wild imagery (or solution) would appear and he would be woken up and remember what he caught a glimpse of. As opposed to fully falling asleep and waking up one or seven hours later and having difficulty recalling the dream.

They key here is that he was in the liminal space between wakefulness and sleep. Some wild imagery (or solution) would appear and he would be woken up and remember what he caught a glimpse of. As opposed to fully falling asleep and waking up one or seven hours later and having difficulty recalling the dream.

my reflexive reaction on the smash of the falling keys was always shouting “ no I DID hear what you said!” Usually in an empty room. I’d like to think I was responding to God whispering in my ear. I could be mistaken though...

Doesn't have to be a shower per se. I did some of my best thinking on mid-afternoon walks when I was working full-time.

It's not uncommon for me to wake up with some insight or realization of a problem in my programming work. So maybe going to sleep is a productivity tool!

Many times over the years I've come up with answers or solutions to vexing problems (mainly dealing with hard, technical networking issues at work) by literally walking away and going around the block a couple of times. The trick is to stop thinking about it and let your subconscious do it's thing.

Out of nowhere several solutions and options start to present themselves...I've read about this effect and it's very interesting.

As well as long walks (or bike rides) which I do frequently, I do my best thinking in the shower too, and cutting my lawn also yields a lot of insight.

As far as Doom goes, it's amazing the devices it's been ported to. I watched a review of this book on YouTube that dives deep into the mechanics, workings, source code, and porting of Doom to other platforms...very interesting stuff:

The "Game Engine Black Book: DOOM: v1.1"

I was working on a math problem many years ago and couldn't figure it out. One night I had a dream and in that dream someone said to me: "A hypocycloid of three cusps".

Now, to my knowledge I'd never even heard of a hypocycloid of three cusps. Turns out it was the solution. Still kind creeps me out to this day.

I was working on a math problem many years ago and couldn't figure it out. One night I had a dream and in that dream someone said to me: "A hypocycloid of three cusps".

Now, to my knowledge I'd never even heard of a hypocycloid of three cusps. Turns out it was the solution. Still kind creeps me out to this day.

That’s happened to me with a programming problem I had at work. It’s amazing what the mind can do when we’re sleeping.

Last edited:

There's definitely stuff out there beyond the 5 senses and current measuring capabilty. I have had occasional dreams that were detailed glimpses of future events in places that I had never been....

I hope you get a great night's sleep with lots of REM time! ;)

It seems our subconscious mind doesn't sleep and keeps working on things maybe? Tesla and some of the great inventors of the past believed there is a universal pool of knowledge they could sometimes tap into. Apparently no one has mastered that ability though, so who really knows?

It seems our subconscious mind doesn't sleep and keeps working on things maybe?
There is something to this!

Although unihemispheric sleep is not known to occur in humans, recent research has found that humans exhibit a similar sleeping style when they experience troubled sleep in a new location for the first time, called the "first night effect." This effect involves asymmetric dynamics between the two hemispheres: while the right hemisphere engages in normal slow-wave sleep, the left hemisphere experiences shallower sleep, suggesting that it may be staying partially alert.​

Not quite related, but check out "split brain" or "severed corpus callosum" for more freaky stuff.

Yeah same, but mostly when I was younger. I haven't had those dreams in like 15-20 years. Glitch in the matrix got fixed?
Possibly. Now I just get occasional weird ones that mash up people, places, and things from incongruent times and places, and some outright whiskey tango foxtrot Salvador Dali stuff on occasion....

There's definitely stuff out there beyond the 5 senses and current measuring capability.

Glitch in the matrix ...

Although unihemispheric sleep is not known to occur in humans, recent research has found that humans exhibit a similar sleeping style when they experience troubled sleep in a new location for the first time, called the "first night effect." This effect involves asymmetric dynamics between the two hemispheres: while the right hemisphere engages in normal slow-wave sleep, the left hemisphere experiences shallower sleep, suggesting that it may be staying partially alert.

All this is interesting. I've had a few intense "dream-vision" experiences when I was half-alert/asleep.

A few months ago I was trying to sleep in my SUV (it was snowing out) in which I had a rodent stowaway which was rustling around my car and I simply couldn't relax. But I was also exhausted. I was on the phone with a female friend to help me relax dozing in and out during which I had a wild creative vision/dream experience almost like a psychedelic trip, but now sadly I can't remember it. It was like I was seeing possibilities in four dimensions when normal reality is like flat 2D.

Back
Top Bottom