It runs Doom

Cause we have better things to do.
burning-house-gif-1.gif

Indeed USMC_Trev, it got shut down fast, but I wasn't expecting a response from Cliff.

When people run Doom on a toaster, they don't request the toaster company to program Doom, they find a workaround and make creative use of hardware. Not that the amps and effects don't allow us to already be creative!

I thought it could be a discussion of the hardware and if it could do anything other than an amp/effect modeler.
What if someone wanted to write their own FW? What language would it be in?
Could there be an alternate FW to turn the screen into an oscilloscope? (Or play Doom?)

Wait until IA and quantum physics combine into dog collar that converts dog language into human
What's IA? (edit: I guess AI - artificial intelligence)

Shower thought: In the 22nd century, when tubes are no longer being made, and therefore no tube amps. Do you think that there will be a Carlsen-Musk mod on the AxeFX X?

Last edited:
Is it just me or does anyone else do their best deep thinking in the shower?

I've often wondered what kind of ideas I'd come up with in a sensory deprivation tank...
It's only because one is bored and needs to do something while repeating the daily grind! ;)

Archimedes was probably the first documented shower (bathtub, really) thought... so yeah I guess a lot of people have had "Eureka!" moments since then!
I've often wondered what kind of ideas I'd come up with in a sensory deprivation tank...

I was about to try one right before all the lock downs hit... I plan on still doing so once things are back to normal! There's only one way for you to find out!

No one is biting so I'll be direct. I am trying to move away from begging Cliff to emulate this or that existing amp or pedal.
I don't think anyone on the forum would be able to write a FW from scratch (outside of Cliff and, if the EULA even allows for it), but I do think that some of the more interesting advances in, let's call it, audio recording stem from the "misuse" of existing gear.

No one is biting so I'll be direct. I am trying to move away from begging Cliff to emulate this or that existing amp or pedal.
I don't think anyone on the forum would be able to write a FW from scratch (outside of Cliff and, if the EULA even allows for it), but I do think that some of the more interesting advances in, let's call it, audio recording stem from the "misuse" of existing gear.

I am quite positive that trying to emulate doom on axe fx will not result in any kind of advancement in amp simulation :)

as well, the axe-fix today is just that - custom firmware on a DSP chip. I am sure there’s information out there on which DSPs are used in the the various axe models. In fact, I would think emulating doom on a Tigersharc may not be that interesting - DSPs are closer to computers than a pregnancy test. I believe it would be quite straightforward for someone with enough knowledge

then again, I’ve been wrong before.

I agree that it will not result in any insights on amp simulation, nor was I requesting it as a feature from Fractal Audio.

I once followed the steps one after the other and soldered a guitar pedal from scratch, so my knowledge of hardware is effectively zero.
I can hack something together in Python for my purposes, so my knowledge of software is very limited.
I clearly don't have any of the answers.

One shouldn't mess with AC circuits, yet a Friedman is a modded Marshall which is a modded Fender which is a modded PA
A variac doesn't belong near a guitar amp
Fingers don't belong near the flange of reels
A recording that distorts is a failure on the part of the recording engineer
Yet here we are.

I'm trying to figure out if this is ironic or not. Head hurts.
I think they threw out a baby with the wash water by mistake around that time. A dozen people all take a bath in the same bathwater... and then they wash the baby... accidents happen

I wouldn't say deep thinking for me, more epiphany type solutions. I think it's because when you're half asleep and crawling into a warm/hot shower, you can kind of tap in to both conscious and subconscious thought at the same time. The biggest problem for me personally is the thoughts are kind of like dreams and can slip if I don't capture them quickly.

Back
Top Bottom