It really is different now. A lot.

zentman

Experienced
Stuff I never went near I am all over now. All the little mid gain amps have huge mojo now. I am even messing with the Dumble like tones and getting superb results.

It's opened up a whole new dimension in my approach. I always used Marshall , high gain, clean, and effects stuff before.

Now I am using Dr Z, AC Morgan, Dumble, and a whole slew of different stuff. I have also turned down the gain on a whole bunch of my old stuff, backed down delay, and am just enjoying the crystal clear tones. Very much more open sounding as well.

People on the web say Axe users HAVE to tweak all the time. I am tweaking stuff all day but not to get it to sound better, rather to enjoy and experiment with all the crap I can do to it. It used to be I was trying to make it sound better now it's just for fun. :)

Last edited:
I switched my main clean patch amp from the USA Clean 2 that I've been using for a couple of months to the AC-30 TB tonight. I didn't see that coming.

I agree. Hard to describe isn't it? Cliff has somehow turned a black box with a circuit board into a work of art. Instead of wood or solder, circuits, and tubes, he's used math. I can't help but think that he's uncovered something that will lead to other breakthroughs.

Cliff, have you ever thought of modeling hi end audiophile amps and preamps - McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Krell, etc? That would be interesting. And is there any way to apply this kind of math to the way wood, metal, and cloth behave in a piano or the way strings behave beneath a bow? Scary in some ways...sci fi to say the least.

I'm able for the first time to get old Santana tones, with the Ultra, nope, with the Axe II 6.02 firmware Nope, now YES so Cliff, whatever you're doing, it's working !!!!!

You are right ! This weekned gigs I just found enjoying myself not using any effects at all while playing solos ! It was for the first time that I didn't miss anything in my tone while using naked amp :) Magic !

I just upgraded last night.I usually gravitate towards higher gain amps.I came across the lonestar while checking out the new amps.In previous firmwares I played it a little but was uninspired.Last night it hooked me in for an hour.The compression knob is a pretty cool thing too.Thanks cliff!

Stuff I never went near I am all over now. All the little mid gain amps have huge mojo now. I am even messing with the Dumble like tones and getting superb results.

Now I am using Dr Z, AC Morgan, Dumble, and a whole slew of different stuff. I have also turned down the gain on a whole bunch of my old stuff, backed down delay, and am just enjoying the crystal clear tones. Very much more open sounding as well.

Agreed. I am hooked on the Dr. Z Maz. Now I know why Paisley loves it so much- those juicy, hairy cleans that ring out are delicious....like fresh, cold, watermelon!

The Dr.Z & Bogner Ecstasy are the two low-gain amps I use for everything that's not "hi-gain."

My champion hi-gain.....Uberschall!!! This thing is the champ, from versatility to crushing power to laser-like focus. That presence knob is awesome!

So yeah, I guess I'm learning how brilliant Reinhold Bogner is with his ridiculous German engineering.

All this talk and I dont even get home until Tuesday afternoon. You guys are killing me with this hype and excitement

I've never been a big Marshall guy, although I have used the boutique hot rodded versions quite a bit (HBE, etc.) I loaded up the new Treble Plexi and I haven't left it yet. Not only am I getting great 70s Jimmy Page and equivalent, but this thing has some creamy sustain that it was lacking before. The most common theme of this FW is the satisfaction from just playing the first preset or amp you try out and the next thing you know, a couple of hours have passed and you haven't really been tweaking. I have been messing with volume and tone on my guitar a lot more and rarely touching a knob on the Axe once I have it set. I'll go step on the overdrive button on the MFC periodically, but mostly I'm just playing.

Coming back from vacations, I upgraded to V7. I was expecting something big after all these more than positive feedbacks posted on the forum. I have not been disapointed ... This is really a giant step ahead ! I intended to give it a quick test and ended up with bleeding fingers several hours after. The Axe is definitely the best investment I made in guitar gear. I was already happy on day one and this thing does not stop improving, without any additional fee. Thanks Cliff and the team !

Yep. It's that way for me. Amps I'd always want a pedal in front of for drive I can get a great driven sound with no pedal and then clean up with volume. If I do use a pedal, it's better than ever. Huge clean Bill Frisell sounds are amazing. The notes now have the breadth and texture that I love. I've barely had time to explore many of the amps I now want to try, but my old favs are sounding better than ever.

The whole thing about tweaking being for pleasure and variety rather than trying to get closer to "there" is true with me. I set gain levels, put in a cab, add a little verb and it sounds great, just like on an amp. Everything else is just exploring different flavors of good-great.

Little snippets I've recorded direct sound amazing, too. I struggle for words to describe it, but there's a physicality and texture to the sounds now that makes them more 3D and alive than in previous firmwares.

I'm amazed by Cliff's work and delighted that he continues to have the determination and realistic appraisal of his creation to keep improving and improving it. I can't think of another product I've ever bought where the term "continuous improvement" was so clearly the guiding principle over all others.

I've never been a big Marshall guy, although I have used the boutique hot rodded versions quite a bit (HBE, etc.)
Ditto. The BE and HBE were my go-to sounds. The past three weeks have seen them supplanted by the Brit 800 -- that's a model I didn't use much before. But it's working so well in mix context it's ridiculous.

I don't know what to use any more -- the choices kind of leave me a little overwhelmed and flushed. :)

Long time no see I know but I've been busy.

V 7.0 <----- the best thing since the thing itself. Before, my guitars pickup positions sounded like something was there, a bit different and stuff you know.

But now! My guitar sounds like 16 different ones! That's the best thing that could ever happen with this unit. To make my guitar have so much character, the twang, the punch, the cooool double-o seven feel, it's all there!

Cliff, I bow to you in greatfulness. To you, your fractal team and your spirit. thank you.

People on the web say Axe users HAVE to tweak all the time. I am tweaking stuff all day but not to get it to sound better, rather to enjoy and experiment with all the crap I can do to it. It used to be I was trying to make it sound better now it's just for fun. :)

Exactly.

Brit 800, Brit Pre and the Super lead have dominated my time since 7.0 came out...................... and I'm a boogie guy
the Recto Red out thru my 50/50 -> recto cab FINALLY sounds and feels like a real recto to me now.
For some reason I could alway get great Recto patches set up to record with but never out to a power amp.
My USA Lead2+ Patch that I matched by ear to my Studio pre is dead on now.
the Cornford is also pretty happening now too.
I find myself hardly tweaking at all anymore but actaully playing (again finally)
I'm loving the Cameron 2 a lot more now as well.
going to do some tonestck experiments like Zentman did with these marshall amps thru My mesa 50/50 and see what I come up with :)

I agree. Hard to describe isn't it? Cliff has somehow turned a black box with a circuit board into a work of art. Instead of wood or solder, circuits, and tubes, he's used math. I can't help but think that he's uncovered something that will lead to other breakthroughs.

Cliff, have you ever thought of modeling hi end audiophile amps and preamps - McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Krell, etc? That would be interesting. And is there any way to apply this kind of math to the way wood, metal, and cloth behave in a piano or the way strings behave beneath a bow? Scary in some ways...sci fi to say the least.

Yes, an high end preamp like Neve or Millennia will be great. The tube pre model it's the only one that it's not very good

Back
Top Bottom