It possible to "DOUBLE" your guitar signal

jhp612

When recording , engineers often DOUBLE the guitar tracks which makes a noticable difference in how the guitar sounds usually making the guitar all around more awesome sounding . Since we have two output is it possible to emulate the same thing?

It will never sound the same as actually playing the same part 2,3,4 times like what's done on many albums. But a simple way to come close is, if you're running stereo, use a stereo cab block or 2 mono blocks (each with a different cab or mic etc) and pan them left and right. This is an easy way to get different but complimentary tones out of left and right which makes for a nice big stereo spread. You can do the same with 2 different amp blocks, panning them left and right.

Part of that sound is due to the subtle phasing issues because when you double they aren't parts aren't exactly in sync. So, you might want to add some time-based effect to one side (or just use a stereo chorus, delay, etc.).

For a hard panned L/R you two guitar effect... You want the enhancer block panned hard L/R with the width from 80-100%

i just split my input into 2 rows and use a different amp block in each then pan 1 hard left and 1 hard right. I use this for live and it sounds pretty damn good. It's no 2 guitarists, but it's like 1.5 guitarists lol ;)

rsf1977 said:
i just split my input into 2 rows and use a different amp block in each then pan 1 hard left and 1 hard right. I use this for live and it sounds pretty damn good. It's no 2 guitarists, but it's like 1.5 guitarists lol ;)

+1

I do that with a Das Metal or SLO100 left and a Blue Jr. right, cleans up nice and tight. Kinda like a WD instead of WDW. :mrgreen:

You can also delay one side 20ms or so, this will give you that "double tracked" feeling.
Use mono Delay on one side set to 20ms no feedback and 100% wet

:idea:

AndrewSimon said:
You can also delay one side 20ms or so, this will give you that "double tracked" feeling.
Use mono Delay on one side set to 20ms no feedback and 100% wet

:idea:

Could you add a modifier to the input of the delay to make it
more realistic?

John Petrucci uses this trick with his live rig: one side is real-time and the other side is 7ms late. I'm pretty sure 20ms is too much latency. You can also try to use a slight detune to make it sound more doubled. There are doubling pedals for vocalists that have a more random latency and also a randomly changing detune effect. I'm sure this could work with the Axe-Fx too.

Why not have the other side that's delayed using LFO1 to change a bit between 5ms-12ms and LFO2 could do the same thing with detuning... Damn... I'm a genius or something! :shock:

Clark Kent said:
John Petrucci uses this trick with his live rig: one side is real-time and the other side is 7ms late. I'm pretty sure 20ms is too much latency. You can also try to use a slight detune to make it sound more doubled. There are doubling pedals for vocalists that have a more random latency and also a randomly changing detune effect. I'm sure this could work with the Axe-Fx too.

Why not have the other side that's delayed using LFO1 to change a bit between 5ms-12ms and LFO2 could do the same thing with detuning... Damn... I'm a genius or something! :shock:

Sweet idea :D

I'd be very careful using the enhancer. Check it in mono and see if it goes to crap. When I was organizing all the presets, almost every crunch or high gain patch using the enhancer went to crap in mono. Most clubs' pa systems are usually running in mono and you might find your favorite preset giving you a hideous surprise at a gig.

Just my two cents.

I guess you'd need it to be stereo to avoid phasing issues. Used the pitch shifter to detune and pan... I think this sounds OK.

Attachments

• FauxDouble2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 39
Clark Kent said:

The detune thing is another good trick, so I'll +1 on that. I'll usually go up or down about 10 cents with it. But 20ms isn't close to too much latency IMHO. You just gotta make sure that your real-time and delayed signals are panned wide. When recording to a stereo track, I'll go as high as 30ms sometimes and it sounds great. For what it's worth, the Petrucci Rhythm patch in the Axe has the delayed signal set to 12ms. Not sure if Cliff wrote this one or it was a user patch that wound up in the unit though. Anyway, play around with the times on the delayed signal. See what your ears tell you. Happy delaying! :)

I'd recommend splitting the signal and putting it through the delay before the amp block, so that you have two signals delayed slightly and heading to different amp blocks. The idea is to get the two sounds pretty different harmonically so that you won't have phasing issues.

Clark Kent said:
diggi said:
[quote="Clark Kent":i4mld70a] Damn... I'm a genius or something! :shock:

NO, YOU'RE NOT. :|

At least I'm not an a**hole...[/quote:i4mld70a]

Ummmmm....I wouldn't get carried away with that statement.... :lol: :lol:

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. This is FAS forum and this kind of childish behavior is starting to give me a negative attitude towards the product itself. 8 out of 10 of my posts seem to get this kind of meaningless attacks. Seriously... are all Axe-Fx users a**holes?

Back
Top Bottom