It just keeps on givin

jiagap

Inspired
I have had my Ultra since June 08. I wrote my initial thoughts way back when, and subsequent thoughts on other threads. Initially, going through all the presets was a blast, some, of course, better than others. Then 6.XX hit, and wow, great improvement. And in the time I have had it I have learned a ton from ya'll on programing and getting ideas - THANK YOU! This thing is a bottomless pit - and I know I am still on the surface. While I have some of my own presets, I still from time to time go back and review the stock presets in different settings and on different guitars. Last night I dusted off my old 60's Hagstrom Viking I - a hollow body with strange pickups - P-90s or Single coils or something??? This guitar often sounds pretty lifeless. I found a preset called Smokey Jazz - wow, what a tone. Then to tweak around with the tonestack, add a little FET boost, alternate between neck and bridge pickup, or whatever - just limitless tones. My three electrics are all very different - Strat (SC), Godin LGX-SA (HB), and the Hagstrom - and all respond different to the various Axe presets. So what you get out of it is very much colored by what you put into it. WHAT A LEARNING CURVE - but enjoying it all the way. I do NOT miss my old Boss GT-8 AT ALL!

Still waiting on the Atomic/Fractal FRFR solution, and the 101 controller. But my midi mate works for now. And in my home studio I have been playing through a pair of Mackie HR824's and live through a Fender Bassman RI. The Bassman sounds very good in some settings, but with the open back cab I have noticed it is very unpredictable on how it will sound at different locations, so I am holding out for a stereo FRFR solution and will probably sell the Bassman to help pay for it. But the Bassman does have a unique and pleasing quality I have not been able to fully recreate with the Axe into the Mackies or other systems I have tried - but the versatility of the Axe with a solid FRFR system in stereo seems like the way I really want to go long term.

Thanks, Cliff, great product.

I can't agree more.

I totally love my Ultra. Best thing I ever bought!

Today I tried to copy my Mesa Boogie V-twin and T-rex

Mesa-Boogie-V-Twin-PreAmp-Pedal.jpg

trex_dr_swamp.jpg

Well, it took me less than 10 minutes for each pedal to copy it.

Thanks Cliff! :cool:

Care to share your process and final Axe settings? Wondering because I'm planning on trying to clone a couple pedals- just to see if I can. Thanks in advance!

TonyGring said:
Care to share your process and final Axe settings? Wondering because I'm planning on trying to clone a couple pedals- just to see if I can. Thanks in advance!

Sure!

I use a clean amp (BROWNFACE) and a routing this way:

-DRIVE1-----\
------------- MIXER ---- AMP (brownface) ---- CAB ---- REVERB
-FXLOOP----/

then in the mixer I connect an external controller to GAIN1 (start:0% - end:100%) and GAIN3 (start:100% - end:0%)

next I connect my pedal to the axe-fx (output2 left -> pedal in - pedal out-> input2 left)

then I select with the external controller the FXLOOP and adjust input2, output2 levels on the front of the axe-fx and the Mix level of the fxloop.
levels must be the same when the pedal is bypassed or not.

next step is seeking for a good sound with the external pedal

last step: seek a drive pedal that sounds close and adjust the parameters.
use the external controller to switch between drive1 and the external controller so you can check the difference

I will give the settings of my pedals when I'm back from work :cool:

TonyGring said:

And here are the settings:

Mesa-Boogie-V-Twin-PreAmp-Pedal.jpg

Mesa Boogie V-twin (Solo channel)

Type: Hard Fuzz
Drive: 4.84
Tone: 8.11
Level: 6.46
Slew Limit: 8.03

trex_dr_swamp.jpg

T-Rex Dr. Swamp

Type: T808 OD
Drive: 8.23
Tone: 9.92
Level: 6.93
Slew Limit: 0.00

Thanks for the method and the settings. That method is very creative, Patrick. Amazing all the stuff we can do with an Axe-FX...

Daniel

Wow! Very interesting and creative. I was just going to A / B my real amp and pedal(s) with the Axe and see what I could do. It's early and I think I need to print your method out so I can get a better grasp on it. Thanks so much for taking the time to 'splain!

Is this a great forum (and piece of gear) or what! Thanks Voes for your creativity..... keep it coming.

-richard

You actually don't need the mixer, just use the bypass modifier in the drive block and fx loop and set on modifier to start at 0 and go thru 100% while the other starts at 100% and goes thru 0%. That will switch one off while the other comes on.

Additionally, if you have an Ultra, you can put a delay-looper block in front a loop a quick riff. That way you can tweak hands free.

javajunkie said:
You actually don't need the mixer, just use the bypass modifier in the drive block and fx loop and set on modifier to start at 0 and go thru 100% while the other starts at 100% and goes thru 0%. That will switch one off while the other comes on.

Additionally, if you have an Ultra, you can put a delay-looper block in front a loop a quick riff. That way you can tweak hands free.

Thanks Java for the looper tip! Didn't thought about that

Copy and paste, copy and paste.

My axe "how to" folder is getting quite large with all the helpful tips on this forum.

Thanks a bunch.

Windoor

Back
Top Bottom