It’s funny that

I usually regard the advanced stuff as being more about feel and getting the amp to react to the note the way I want it to.

Agreed...I only fiddle with the advanced controls to dial in a feel too...as you say, to get the amp to react right where you want it.

Personally I almost always use the 5-band Passive GEQ type. I feel it's the most "musical".

Oh yea, for sure; I've used the 5-band Passive GEQ exclusively since it became available. There is something special and unique in the way it dials in...for me that GEQ is quicker and easier to tune vs the other GEQ types. I use it on pretty much every preset...

Same here, I rarely touch the advance parameters.
I use few amp-sims and most of them is amps I've previously owned which makes it's easier to dial the tones I like.
... and I've settled down to just one cab IR which sounds pretty much as my real cab (2x12 v30/H75)

The parameters I do change:
- Speaker page (poweramp/cab)
- Dyn Depth (poweramp/cab)
- Speaker comp (FRFR))
- 5-band passive EQ (slight boost or cut)

.. and higain I always use drive or a peq to cut lows and boost mids

Last edited:
Personally I use the full 8 band. But I'm a fusspot and want more options when it comes to EQ.

...I've used the 5-band Passive GEQ exclusively since it became available. There is something special and unique in the way it dials in...for me that GEQ is quicker and easier to tune vs the other GEQ types. I use it on pretty much every preset...
The passive EQ types are all very musical. 5-Band does hit a lot of the sweet spots in electric guitar.

5-band Passive is excellent. I use it for lead boosting. I’ve been wanting to know the exact frequencies and Q of the sliders for a long time.

Nearly all my patches are just an amp model, maybe with a boost (usually I use an external boost).

Just the other day on a whim I reset the amp in my main patch just for fun, I just tweaked the gain and master, and I even move the EQ past about 0.5 from default.

It sounds really good, more 'raw,' whereas the patch previously had some advanced parameter tweaks which made it sound more processed in comparison.

It's nice to have a breath of fresh air every now and then.

... after years and years of owning, using and tweaking the Axe-Fx, I’m happy just using very basic and almost default amp and cab settings.

I do this all the time. All I'll adjust 90% of the time is BMT, Volume, and gain. The way I look at it, I wouldn't mess with any of that other stuff on the real amp. When I'm looking for something different I'll poke around with the advanced parameters - mostly switching tube types and tone stacks.

... after years and years of owning, using and tweaking the Axe-Fx, I’m happy just using very basic and almost default amp and cab settings.

Whenever I meet someone that is new to the Axe Fx, I share my story about the day got it, spent an hour going through stock presets, then going to a 3 hour gig and using it. I recently spoke to someone who just got one and how they were going to wait months before gigging with it. I said to go for it. I let them know the stock presets are great and to just use those as they learn and tweak.

I'm with you on this. I do very little tweaking. I occasionally do high and low cut on the cab to try and roughly mimic some studio sounds. Sometimes I'll tweak amp parameters to emulate mods like Slash or Randy Rhoads, etc... But largely I just plug and play. It's funny that this unit is capable of so much, yet I use it in its simplest form 99% of the time.

5 band mark, once you owned a Mesa Quad in it's time you're sold for that one. If not only basic page, std 8 band EQ and almost no advanced settings. Used to have transformer at 95% but don't remember ever retouching that since FW14 if I remember well. BTW the parameter doesn't exist anymore... Low cut at 120 and High cut at 7.5kHz, in the amp section but will go for doing this in the cab setting since I'm moving to 8.02 actually. And that's it.

5 band mark, once you owned a Mesa Quad in it's time you're sold for that one. If not only basic page, std 8 band EQ and almost no advanced settings. Used to have transformer at 95% but don't remember ever retouching that since FW14 if I remember well. BTW the parameter doesn't exist anymore... Low cut at 120 and High cut at 7.5kHz, in the amp section but will go for doing this in the cab setting since I'm moving to 8.02 actually. And that's it.
Which parameter doesn't exist anymore?

I wouldn't presume to put any words in Cliff's mouth, or even thoughts in his head .... But with the last few firmware releases it seems that is his strategy .... Get to the most realistic experience possible with the minimum number of user tweaks as possible ....

I've grown so lazy that I just pick a default preset and rely on post processing most of the time. Usable stuff has so far always been there for me to dig out with eq.

I use a 4x12 FRFR, so it has all the feeling of an amp in the room. But is has no tone by itself. Without any cab block, It sounds just like if u disable the cab block while listening through headphones, but louder.

For this reason, I only use 3 patches
Each one of them has just an amp block and a cab block.

Each cab block is just an IR and some low and high roll off to give tone to the 4x12.

The amp block is whatever amp i want to use.
Basically, my 3 patches are just 3 ready cabs. The amp doesn't matter.

My logics is that I pick a patch for the cab, not the amp. Then I just pick an amp I want and tweak drive and MBT if necesary.
Sometimes i hardly tweak anything.

For me, its like owning 3 cabs, and having a bunch of amps.

That's just how easy it is to tweak things.
Just like real amps to me. Plug and play

Back
Top Bottom