Issues with Importing Presets, Saving, Backing up, Adding User IRs

Chris B.

Just got the FM3 in today. I am having issues Issues with Importing Presets, Saving, Backing up, Adding User IRs. Sometimes if I power off the FM3, or close out FM3 edit/Fractal Bot I can make it one step further, but it is taking forever to do something that would take me 30 seconds to do on the Axe III. Any help is appreciated. I have not started to get the below warning, which does not always show up when there is an issue. I am using the same USB cable that I use with Axe III.
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 6.33.10 PM.png

I have found that trying to convert this preset from an AX3 preset to the FM3 causes the device to lock up every time. I have converted other presets with dual pitch blocks successfully now and it just leaves out the second pitch block.

Attachments

• RHCP_20201014_192227.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
I have found that trying to convert this preset from an AX3 preset to the FM3 causes the device to lock up every time. I have converted other presets with dual pitch blocks successfully now and it just leaves out the second pitch block.
The FM3 only has one 'Pitch' block available.

I believe that this is normal behavior for the FM3. Only one app can be connected at a time.
Thanks Moke! Good to know. That may have been the cause most of my problems. I know about the one pitch block but still not sure why the preset above is locking up the unit when trying to import. I’m just trying to figure out why my RATM preset is failing.

Even with the Reverb block set to 'Economy', it is overloading the CPU.
  1. Had to replace the Reverb block with one of my substitutes.
  2. Shortened the whole signal chain to fit the smaller grid, and save a bit more CPU%.
  3. Adjusted the Amp block levels a bit to match the original Axe-Fx III version.
  4. The Controllers didn't use to convert correctly, but it looks as though that has been fixed?

Try this one out.. Should get you close?

Attachments

• RHCP (MCP).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
@BryantP I am still getting a communication error today and I am just trying to connect to FM3-edit. No importing, exporting, etc. Powering down the FM3 temporarily resolves the issue. It also locks up on the FM3 when this happens.
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 8.10.40 PM.png

Also, should the FM3 have a lower volume output than the AX3 at the same position on the output knob (say 50%?). Is the taper the same?

Also, should the FM3 have a lower volume output than the AX3 at the same position on the output knob (say 50%?). Is the taper the same?
The FM3 volume is going to behave slightly differently than the AX3, yes.
@BryantP I am still getting a communication error today and I am just trying to connect to FM3-edit. No importing, exporting, etc. Powering down the FM3 temporarily resolves the issue. It also locks up on the FM3 when this happens.
As you pointed out in the other thread, the FM3 only supports one connection. Please make sure you don't have FractalBot open when trying to use FM3-Edit (and vice versa).

The FM3 volume is going to behave slightly differently than the AX3, yes.

As you pointed out in the other thread, the FM3 only supports one connection. Please make sure you don't have FractalBot open when trying to use FM3-Edit (and vice versa).
Thanks for the confirmation on the volume. As far as the fm3 lockup’s, I have only been connecting FM3-edit without fractalbot since but I’m still freezing up multiple times daily when trying to use fm3edit. I haven’t tried using the fm3 standalone yet but I might try over the next few days and see if I still have freezing issues. It’s hard for me to know where the issue is stemming from.

I haven’t tried using the fm3 standalone yet but I might try over the next few days and see if I still have freezing issues.
When you say it freezes, does it still pass audio and apply effects?

I think the preset you are working with is overloading the CPU. There is a certain amount of overhead required and the communications with FM3-Edit increase that overhead slightly. The next release will make it easier to tell when this is happening.

When you say it freezes, does it still pass audio and apply effects?

I think the preset you are working with is overloading the CPU. There is a certain amount of overhead required and the communications with FM3-Edit increase that overhead slightly. The next release will make it easier to tell when this is happening.
@BryantP I do not think it’s the preset cpu. I imported that preset from AX3 and modify it to get under 80% cpu usage. Making any modifications to other presets still has issues. To confirm sound still is produced just no control without a power cycle. Most of my final presets in fm3 Range from mid 60 to upper 70s cpu usage. Additionally I get this communication error when trying to add IRs, which I don’t think should be taxing. Saw this thread as well which is also related. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/communication-time-out.166177/

I do not know how you convert but redo them presets manually from scratch is recommended. I had problems with converted (from FX2)patches and had to cleanup all presets and reload the FW. Since I redid my presets manually I experience no problem whatever.

Back
Top Bottom