Issues with Expression Pedal Setup (without MFC)

Etudica

Inspired
I just received my Axe-FX II and have not been able to purchase the MFC yet, so I have a FV-500H directly connected to the pedal input on the back of the Axe-FX II (Exp. out on the pedal itself) to be used as volume pedal. I set my output in I/O menu to use pedal, and it indeed works to control volume. However, does not seem to be calibrated properly - almost no change in the 1st/last 25% of the pedal throw. When I go into the pedal menu and choose calibrate, nothing happens when putting the pedal through its full motion, and no calibration values are displayed after hitting enter to finish. Manually entering start/end values seems to have no effect either. Set to continuous pedal type.

What should I be seeing (if anything) during the calibration process? Is there a different process for calibrating a pedal like this without an MFC inline? I keep seeing people posting values that they obtain after running a pedal calibration, usually 0-115 in this case. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem..Any advice would be greatly appreciated..Looks like calibration process doesn't work..

Hi
I use TRS( I just reversed tip and ring on cable to get it working correctly now) and my pedal works ok at full range..But..I need to calibrate my pedal for shorter move for my wah wah setup ( i lock physically some of the moving way of my pedal)..Normally at this case I use calibration process on my deferent machines,but with Axe II it seems to not work at all with my pedal..Of course I use some workarounds in wah paremeter adjasting,but it's not an ideal way..
Any advice ?
Thanks,
jacek

I use TRS( I just reversed tip and ring on cable to get it working correctly now) and my pedal works ok at full range..

Could you explain what you mean by reversing the tip and ring? I am using TRS into the Exp out Jack on the pedal and still don't get full range.

Update: So I just received my MFC (had to wait until they were in stock) and plugged the 500H into it. Calibration onboard the MFC registered correctly from 0-115, and when using it for output1 volume all is good - full range.

However, when configuring it for use on a patch volume block instead of the global output1, its still not registering the full range. Looking at the modifier view on the Axe-FX II, I can see the digital graph only registers changes during the middle range of the pedal. I have not yet tried to reverse the tip and ring on one end of the TRS cable yet. Any chance that might solve this? Or does the fact that the MFC registers it's range properly make the TRS cable mod pointless?

Still upset about not getting full range out of a volume block in a patch. Like I mentioned earlier, not getting full range on a volume block but DO seem to get full range for volume when controlling output1. I'm thinking about ditching the Boss for use a volume pedal and trying a Mission pedal instead. Can anyone confirm this will not be an issue with the Mission pedals?

While the theoretical range is 0-127, I find my Missions go up to about 116 or 117.

i am connecting a FV-500H to the input on the back of the axe also.i bought a trs cable and only get very little movement.i then reversed one end "tip and ring" and got no movement.i then flipped the cord around and still got nothing.
now when i go to ext 1 and try to change it to pedal it hangs on "programing"? i am lost

Make sure that you are using 1/4" TRS -TRS (stereo) cable. There should be a single TRS jack on both ends. Plug one end into the EXP jack on the Boss and the other into the pedal jack on the Axe or MFC. This is the preferred cabling. An insert cable has TRS one end, and 2 x TS the other. If this is what you have, plug the two TS ends into the Input and Output on the BOSS and the TRS end into the Axe. Next, check the minimum volume knob on the side. This is a trim pot that will reduce the minimum volume level. For an expression pedal this should be turned all the way back. If you are connected directly to the Axe-Fx, run the calibration utility on the Axe - Press enter on the Pedal Cal page and sweep the pedal up and down a couple of times, them press enter again. More information on expression pedals here All About Expression Pedals. Mission.

I have a cable with trs on both ends.then i have one i made trs on one end and the other end i flip tr like this thread says.i tried both cables.even tried flipping the cable around on the one i had...tried the volume
Pot on the side...nothing but the cable i bought works.and it only work a little. I calibrated it like you said.i assigned ext.1 to pedal.nothing.....in the edit block the last knob that shows range shows 10 when the pedal in down and 7 when its down.should be 0.

I have a cable with trs on both ends.then i have one i made trs on one end and the other end i flip tr like this thread says.i tried both cables.even tried flipping the cable around on the one i had...tried the volume
Pot on the side...nothing but the cable i bought works.and it only work a little. I calibrated it like you said.i assigned ext.1 to pedal.nothing.....in the edit block the last knob that shows range shows 10 when the pedal in down and 7 when its down.should be 0.

Ok i got it.
So here is what i did wrong .......i was moving it to fast to calibrate.
Once you hit enter count to five..then push it down and count to five..up, five ect.
Other that it reading 0-115 and not 0-120 it works now.

I received my FV-500H and noticed the same problem when connecting to the pedal input of the Axe II directly using a TRS - TRS cable. There are deadzones of ~20-25 % of the pedal range in both ends. I measured the resistance out of the EXP jack and the 0-10k sweep indeed starts/stops in the middle part of the movement range so its not a calibration problem but a problem of the boss / potentiometer. Could any FV-500H owners confirm if this is the way these things are supposed to work or do we have faulty pots in our pedals?

If I were to connect one of these to a rocktron all access which needs reverse polarity, would I reverse it on both ends of the cable or just one? Or would using a y cable work better?

If I were to connect one of these to a rocktron all access which needs reverse polarity, would I reverse it on both ends of the cable or just one? Or would using a y cable work better?

Well if you would reverse both ends of the cable then it wouldn't be reversed anymore would it :) So just reverse on either one of the ends the tip and the ring. Using the Y-cable you are getting logarithmic 250 k resistance instead of the linear 10 k from the EXP out. It depends on what you connect it to if it works or not (don't know about the rocktron).

I have just swapped the potentiometer in my FV500H. It is now active for the whole range of the pedal but the resistance varies between 2,5 k - 7,5 k (instead of 0 - 10 k) because the mechanical range of the pedal is smaller than the range of my new pot. I'll check tonight if it works with the AXE II or not.

Back
Top Bottom