Issues using USB to play audio...

guitarno

Experienced
I'm starting to have an issue playing audio over USB. I have my FM9 hooked up to my 2017 Quad Core i5 iMac directly to a USB port on the back of the iMac. I'm using the app "Anytune" to play audio files to practice to (and this applies to any audio app or browser I tried as well). I have XLR's running from the Out1 jacks to my Yamaha DXR10's. Everything has been working fine this way for a number of days. Now, it will work as normal for a while and then the audio will just quit entirely. My guitar audio works as usual but the USB transmission just cuts off completely, at seemingly random points.

I did have FM9-Edit running originally and shut that down, and re-started the FM9. It did work after power cycling the FM9 but only for a while, and then it happened again. I tried different USB cables - no different. I tried different USB ports - no different. Power cycling does sometimes seem to fix it but it will happen again after a while. I'm not sure what's causing this. I haven't tried recording yet so I don't know if it affects USB out as well as in yet.

I'll report back after I do some more testing. Hopefully I find the reason, or it's just a random bug that clears up...

Last edited:
Interesting as I had a very similar issue and I was also using Anytune at the time. Not sure if it was just a coincidence as I've not seen this issue with other audio apps and I don't often use the Axe-FX as my output source for my computer audio. I was at rehearsal and running everything out of my III so a different unit as well. When this drop out occurred I had been playing for about 5 minutes, I rebooted, and then only got audio for a few seconds so I gave up. When I got home I could not reproduce the issue.

That is interesting indeed! My setup worked without issue for days, then I had the dropouts as I described (it happened a number of times over the course of a few hours), and since then, I have not been able to reproduce it either. I'm at a loss to understand why it happened. Maybe it is some "Anytune" anomaly, or a Mac USB transmission issue, though my iMac is normally very stable.

Back
Top Bottom