Issues getting a full sound that opens up / gets louder with harder playing

Alabama man

Inspired
I'm currently running my XL+ into a Matrix GT1000FX power amp and mesa recto 2x12 cab (V30's). I have cab sims off and power amp modeling on.

Was hoping I could get some suggestions on which parameters to mess with in the amp block for the following issues I'm having with this setup:

1) Not enough bass / depth. When playing with my bandmates who are using tube amps, their clean and dirty sounds have much more "oomph." I've messed with the standard bass controls, but it still feels like something is missing.

2) On clean sounds, I'm finding that if I start playing heavier, the Axe fx isn't "opening up", getting louder, etc. It's capping out relatively soon. If I'm playing my real deluxe reverb and start digging in, the sound gets bigger and little louder. (I'm not running any compressor blocks in the axe for these patches).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also interested in this topic. Seems like the recto cab and a very popular power amp should be able to sit with the other amps, at least with regard to your first issue.

I am an FRFR user but I would try:

1. Turn Amp block XFMR Match down to 0.700
2. Turn Amp block Preamp Dynamics up to between 2.0 - 3.0.
3. Turn Amp block Output Comp to Type: Feedback, Comp: 0.5, leave threshold default ( a little goes a long way here)

With the above the output comp setting might be where you dial in the feel and sound.

Edit: Also try a GEQ block after the amp (and cab if used) block but before delay and reverb. Type: 5 band passive. Lower the Q to 0.7 to 0.5 Make a frowny curve. The interaction of the of the post amp block GEQ as a mid boost and the output comp in feedback mode can really give a great "bloom" to the notes.

Last edited:
Too high Input drive and/or Master volume value.

For my cleans, I use the Deluxe Verb Nrml. I have the master set around 6-7 (where I have the real amp set when I use it) and the input drive around 3. For heavy sounds, I use the HBE - master set to 4-5 and the gain set to 6.50.

I am an FRFR user but I would try:

1. Turn Amp block XFMR Match down to 0.700
2. Turn Amp block Preamp Dynamics up to between 2.0 - 3.0.
3. Turn Amp block Output Comp to Type: Feedback, Comp: 0.5, leave threshold default ( a little goes a long way here)

With the above the output comp setting might be where you dial in the feel and sound.

Edit: Also try a GEQ block after the amp (and cab if used) block but before delay and reverb. Type: 5 band passive. Lower the Q to 0.7 to 0.5 Make a frowny curve. The interaction of the of the post amp block GEQ as a mid boost and the output comp in feedback mode can really give a great "bloom" to the notes.

Some good suggestions! Thank you!

For my cleans, I use the Deluxe Verb Nrml. I have the master set around 6-7 (where I have the real amp set when I use it) and the input drive around 3. For heavy sounds, I use the HBE - master set to 4-5 and the gain set to 6.50.
where are you playing that you can run a real Deluxe at 7 on the Master??

Since I have no idea what guitar, pickups, pedals etc.... you are using this means not so much. Use your ears and set the Master volume and gain until the Amp responds to your liking. Do this at the loudness and conditions you are going to use your presets. Then use the input trim, master volume trim, ir and different versions of ew available in the axe to fine tune the sound. But remember that the more you push you amp the more it will compress.

thing that i do to bring "dynamic" is
associate a enveloppe controller(=controlled by the attack of the pick) to the master volume trim
when you pick harder the master volume of the amp gets higher : more volume, different "texture"(and it's less "caricatural" and more natural than assign the same controller to the level parameter)
it -to me - really makes a difference.
i can help you with a patch but i'm in fw 15.07 ( i think it's the best firmware ever made for axe fx , serious mojo in this one ! , and i prefer g2 modeling for some reason) don't know if it's compatiple with quantum ?

+1

This was a big one for me when I first got my AFX. Because you don't have the amp roaring in the background, you can make the mistake of running the MV or preamp too hard which means you don't have any headroom left for the amp to open up as you dig in more.

Exactly..

Touching on your #2 in the OP...

There's no Master Volume on a Deluxe Reverb, although that's one of the many benefits you get with the Axe FX modeling. You don't have the limitations in the Axe that you have with the real amp. I tend to always run the master volume full up on any modeled amps in the Axe that do not have a master volume on the real tube amp being modeled. I adjust the Input Trim and Input Drive until I get the right balance of power amp breakup/compression (adjusting Input Drive) and then adjust the Input Trim for the amount of gain I want w/ guitar volume full up. I like to run something like a Fender or Marshall amp where it's breaking up but not saturated. I usually use a drive pedal as a boost to get give me more drive when needed. Some amps sound really good using the Saturation switch as well..

Not sure what to suggest for your #1 comment in the OP- I use CLR's when using the Axe FX and haven't spent much time with separate power amps and traditional cabs, so I'm not sure how that might be playing into your situation. I will say that it takes a bit of work to get the low end dialed in right for me on almost any preset (using FRFR).

Exactly..

Touching on your #2 in the OP...

There's no Master Volume on a Deluxe Reverb, although that's one of the many benefits you get with the Axe FX modeling. You don't have the limitations in the Axe that you have with the real amp. I tend to always run the master volume full up on any modeled amps in the Axe that do not have a master volume on the real tube amp being modeled. I adjust the Input Trim and Input Drive until I get the right balance of power amp breakup/compression (adjusting Input Drive) and then adjust the Input Trim for the amount of gain I want w/ guitar volume full up. I like to run something like a Fender or Marshall amp where it's breaking up but not saturated. I usually use a drive pedal as a boost to get give me more drive when needed. Some amps sound really good using the Saturation switch as well..

Not sure what to suggest for your #1 comment in the OP- I use CLR's when using the Axe FX and haven't spent much time with separate power amps and traditional cabs, so I'm not sure how that might be playing into your situation. I will say that it takes a bit of work to get the low end dialed in right for me on almost any preset (using FRFR).

Wouldn't cranking the master to 10 prevent me from getting a boost in volume with playing dynamics / pedals / etc. (because the signal is compressing)? Or is that something that is remedied with the input drive / trim in reducing gain, thus reducing compression?

Wouldn't cranking the master to 10 prevent me from getting a boost in volume with playing dynamics / pedals / etc. (because the signal is compressing)? Or is that something that is remedied with the input drive / trim in reducing gain, thus reducing compression?

If you are out of the MV sweet spot too low, then the tone can sound thin and without feeling.

Since you originally describe your issue like that, then turning up the MV might get you into the sweet spot.

XL+, VHT 50/50, all kinds of Mesa cabs, Marshall cabs. The "Jimi Hendrix" Marshalls sound the best IMO. Your question is about dynamics. Here is my advice: turn your cab sim on, and scroll thru the menu and I bet you will find what you are looking for. I bought a few cab packs and that is what makes the difference. Yes, even running a power amp into a cabinet. The cab sims are valuable for tuning your sound in that way. I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom