issue with mk2 Turbo and Mastermind GT

jasonmauer

Inspired
I recently upgraded my guitar rigs by replacing my AxeFx III mk1 units with mk2 Turbos. I've run into an issue when using the new Turbo units with my Mastermind GT controller. When doing the Get Preset Names operation from the controller to load the AxeFx preset/scene names into the MMGT, both the preset name and the scene names are mangled with division symbols replacing some of their characters.

I reached out to Ron at RJM Music last week to assist, and initially we suspected a corrupt controller firmware or something like that, but after going through the process of elimination (trying different computers, USB thumb drives, cables, etc), I setup my mk1 side-by-side with the mk2 and have been able to verify that using the MMGT with the mk1 behaves as expected, but not with the mk2. (The funky behavior happens with both my mk2 units.)

Is there anything different with the SysEx data for the mk2 Turbo compared to other units? Seems like there's a bug around here somewhere.

I have a MkII (no turbo) and it works well with my GT/22.

I just tested this and cannot reproduce the problem. I tested using an RME Fireface UFX as the MIDI interface and a Mark II Turbo. All MIDI messages performed as expected and name/scene queries returned correct data.

@FractalAudio -- Just tested this out and snagged some logs with MIDI-OX. It looks like the issue is that the MkII Turbo is sending the SysEx response to both MIDI Out and Thru ports, instead of just the MIDI Out port as expected. (In my rig, I have MIDI Out and Thru merged together going back to the Mastermind to include MIDI output from other devices.)

[edit] Actually I'm not sure what's up -- I'm now able to replicate the same behavior on the mk1 as well. I think a copy of the SysEx messages may be making its way back through to the AxeFx's MIDI In, which would then end up going through MIDI Thru. I'm going to doublecheck my cabling and settings for the millionth time and try to narrow it down some more. [sigh]

Last edited:
@FractalAudio -- Just tested this out and snagged some logs with MIDI-OX. It looks like the issue is that the MkII Turbo is sending the SysEx response to both MIDI Out and Thru ports, instead of just the MIDI Out port as expected. (In my rig, I have MIDI Out and Thru merged together going back to the Mastermind to include MIDI output from other devices.)
Not possible. MIDI Thru is a hardware thru.

[edit] Actually I'm not sure what's up -- I'm now able to replicate the same behavior on the mk1 as well. I think a copy of the SysEx messages may be making its way back through to the AxeFx's MIDI In, which would then end up going through MIDI Thru. I'm going to doublecheck my cabling and settings for the millionth time and try to narrow it down some more. [sigh]

Post your GT config file.

Not possible. MIDI Thru is a hardware thru.
Good to know, thanks. I edited my message after that but wasn't real clear since I wrote it at like 4 in the morning -- I was able to confirm the AxeFx isn't generating the duplicate data. The extra SysEx messages are coming via the input from the Mastermind (before the AxeFx), which I was I was picking up as duplicate messages via the MIDI Thru.

Post your GT config file.
Here are a few test configs I sent to Ron at RJM Music. I can repro the issue after a factory reset and configuring the AxeFx as the first device for the MMGT. I originally suspected the MMGT, but after swapping out the mk2 Turbo for my mk1 (and not seeing the issue at the time), it seemed the Turbo was the culprit. Now I'm back to thinking there may be something amiss with my MMGT, possibly a hardware issue.

Thanks for everyone's help in trying to resolve this.

Why do you have incoming PCs disabled in your GT config? And you have the "CC Link" enabled in the button properties, which is not necessary. Do you use MIDI Clock (because it's enabled)?

Why do you have incoming PCs disabled in your GT config? And you have the "CC Link" enabled in the button properties, which is not necessary. Do you use MIDI Clock (because it's enabled)?
I don't know why incoming PCs are disabled at this point. I have tried it without that set and it didn't seem to make a difference, but it's worth checking again since there may have been something else funky going on. I'm cutting everything out of my MIDI chain except the MMGT and AxeFx to eliminate potential gremlins.

CC Link not needed -- I thought I noticed that setting wasn't needed when I was editing button pages recently. Thanks for confirming that.

MIDI clock -- yes I do use that. I use my MMGT as the master clock device. Haven't noticed any issues with that, but I'll try disabling it and see if it makes a difference. (maybe maxing out the MIDI bus perhaps?)

I don't know why incoming PCs are disabled at this point. I have tried it without that set and it didn't seem to make a difference, but it's worth checking again since there may have been something else funky going on. I'm cutting everything out of my MIDI chain except the MMGT and AxeFx to eliminate potential gremlins.

CC Link not needed -- I thought I noticed that setting wasn't needed when I was editing button pages recently. Thanks for confirming that.

MIDI clock -- yes I do use that. I use my MMGT as the master clock device. Haven't noticed any issues with that, but I'll try disabling it and see if it makes a difference. (maybe maxing out the MIDI bus perhaps?)

Disabling incoming PCs means that the GT won't follow when you switch presets on the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom