Issue With MFC Ethernet Jack

Vhalen50

Experienced
Hey everyone, i emailed support about this but wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this.

I have discovered now that my ethernet jack is broken. The two clips on the side to hold the cables in have apparently snapped off and was wondering if there was any possibility to replace it myself?

I got my MFC about a month or two before the mark 2 with ethercon came out. I would have much rather preferred ethercon and was going to get those neutrik jacks, but never got around to it. The story is that ive been using a best tronics cable for a few months now and recently at an out of town show, some guy stole it (i have no real idea why but it was sitting on my pedal board as we were loading out). Because of our show schedule, i didnt have time to order a new one from best tronics causing me to use a home internet cable, from best buy im pretty positive. But I remember trying to use these way back when and they just wouldnt "click" to stay in. Well the MFC side clicked rather easily but the axe fx side was always a chore, got it to work though. We got back from another out of town show and were setting up to practice and i noticed that my ethernet cable wouldnt stay in, thought maybe that end was just bad....both sides dont work, it just slides right out.

I reaaaaaaaly dont want to have to use the power supply because I use a very compact rig; a 4 space rack bag filled with my axe fx 2, matrix gt1000 and a power conditioner/wireless depending on the night. If i use my power conditioner, the wart is too big to fit in the back and doesnt fit on the front, plus it makes setup and tear down awful. Before it was just one cable to the front of the stage and I was done (which helps alot with some of the places we play).

any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

I performed this modification as well. Thanks Patzag for blazing the trail for us!

For the MFC, I simply desoldered the onboard RJ45 using a bulb style desoldering tool. I cut a regular ethernet Cat5/6 cable that I had in half and soldered those wires straight to the board using a low wattage soldering iron. I then purchased an ethercon connector that accepted the other half of my ethernet cable (it just clips in like normal). This way, I didn't even have to punch down the cables on the neutrik. I pretty much followed everything Patzag did with the exception of using a neutrik that accepted an RJ45 plug internally.

If you aren't comfortable with the desoldering/soldering work, you can probably find someone who can cheaply do the work for you. It's really not as difficult as it looks. Especially if you are patient and take your time.

I use a vafamsound patch panel on the AXE that also has Ethercon. Life is good.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom