Issue when recording Audio to iPhone 13 while simultaneously recording video

Bryanman37

Hi All - looking for a little direction here. I was recording audio to my iPhone using the camera app and USB to lightning cable without issue but recently I made a change to my system where I'm now running my monitors from Output 2 vs Output 1. Now, when I plug the USB to lightning cable into the iPhone I don't get sound. I have the USB output mapping set to 1/2 - out1, 3/4- out 2 in the ax but even when I switch to 1/2 - out 2, 3/4 - out 1 I still don't get sound. I have no issue getting sound through normal USB to my laptop and recording in garage band so I'm stumped as to why the phone is not getting audio when using the camera app. Wondering if anyone has any experience in this regard? I read somewhere that the process should be to open the camera app first, select video and then plug in the lightning cable/AxFX which I did follow but no luck.

thanks!

Look into the Line 6 Sonic Port , it’s what I used back in the day to connect the Axe Audio to iPhone using a single 1/8 TRS cable

Thanks- I’ll look into that but I wonder how it would work with the lightning input. I also still wonder why everything worked before I changed my monitors to output 2. I still wonder if I didn’t accidentally change something inside the AxFx… then again, I can record to my DAW just fine.

Hi All - looking for a little direction here. I was recording audio to my iPhone using the camera app and USB to lightning cable without issue but recently I made a change to my system where I'm now running my monitors from Output 2 vs Output 1. Now, when I plug the USB to lightning cable into the iPhone I don't get sound. I have the USB output mapping set to 1/2 - out1, 3/4- out 2 in the ax but even when I switch to 1/2 - out 2, 3/4 - out 1 I still don't get sound. I have no issue getting sound through normal USB to my laptop and recording in garage band so I'm stumped as to why the phone is not getting audio when using the camera app. Wondering if anyone has any experience in this regard? I read somewhere that the process should be to open the camera app first, select video and then plug in the lightning cable/AxFX which I did follow but no luck.

thanks!
ios devices will only listen to usb channels 1/2, which normally is the output of the out1 block (the usb output mapping has no effect on that). You don't say what change you made to cause things to stop working, but I would guess you switched to using the out2 block. If you could say what you're trying to accomplish, someone here could provide a suggestion on how to do it.

I just followed the manual on how to use output 2 for my studio monitors. If memory serves, there wasn’t a whole lot of change I had to do. So, long story short, the output 2 knob on the front controls the volume of my monitors instead of the output 1 knob. It’s interesting to me that Injave zero issue recording to my laptop using the USB out on the Ax but when I plug the USB out on the ax to my phone I don’t get the audio. I’m looking around the manual again now. What I want to be able to do is record video using my phone’s camera app but get sound directly from the Ax.

You can record to your laptop because in your DAW you can choose which usb channels to record. It isn't possible to do that on an ios device. I still don't know what you did to make it stop working, but I would guess you probably switched to using an out2 block. And I still don't know what you're trying to accomplish. If the goal here is to have a front panel knob to control analog output level, you can do that with the out1 block, there's no need to use out2. You can record over usb and monitor from out1 out of the box on the Axe-FX. No need to change anything.

P.S. Configuration #1 in the recording guide covers what you're trying to do. Just substitute your ios device for the computer in the routing diagram and follow those instructions.

Last edited:
I had changed to output 2 for my studio monitors only- But I think I may understand what you’re saying. I think maybe a reset may be in order.

Back
Top Bottom