ISP Vector FS8

There are 2 reviews by AX8 users in the link you sent to Sweetwater.
Seem to not have enough volume for use with a band (unless you buy at least 2).

Just read those reviews. Based on the first review I'm wondering if the person in the second review is having a gain staging issue.
Might have to get one to try it out.

I will say that the specs state fairly low dB levels compared to something similar like a QSC K8.
I'm not a fan of the QSC or anything, just pointing out that for the same price, size and weight...there seem to be much louder options.

122db peak output is very low actually, compared to other powered 8" speakers.
Yamaha DXR8 is 129db peak. That would likely sound night and day different in regards to headroom.

You can't go on spec sheets alone, but the max outputs are far enough away from each other to make a safe guess that it's not going to give you the punch of most of the other popular cabs discussed on the forum.

Ebay had a one item 20%/$100 off coupon any item today.
That took the Sweetwater price down to $499 free ship so I couldn't resist.
Will let you guys know my impressions when I get it.
I don't know if the coupon works for everyone, but its PSPRING20 ending at 8pm PST tonight (3/9/2018).

Ebay had a one item 20%/$100 off coupon any item today.
That took the Sweetwater price down to $499 free ship so I couldn't resist.
Will let you guys know my impressions when I get it.
I don't know if the coupon works for everyone, but its PSPRING20 ending at 8pm PST tonight (3/9/2018).

Did you ever receive your FS8? I’m curious of how it sounds. It looks like a possible solution for a bedroom/home studio FRFR.

Did you ever receive your FS8? I’m curious of how it sounds. It looks like a possible solution for a bedroom/home studio FRFR.
I've had it a few days. I've been A/B'ing it with my first-gen Xitone 10" semi open back FRFR, coming out of the AX8.
It has less bass and sounds a little compressed relative to the Xitone, but they sound pretty similar overall.
Both of them sound more like a guitar cab than many FRFRs I've tried.
Seems plenty loud, I think it could keep up with a moderately loud band.
My ears were ringing after a few minutes.

The guitar cab emulation mode is pretty subtle, I actually think it sounds better and more similar to the Xitone with the cab mode on.
I like the form factor, weight, and guitar cab-like tone.
The Xitone definitely sounds a bit better, but given the size, weight and price I'm probably going to keep the FS8 for a grab and go solution.
I'm also hoping the bass will open up a bit once the speaker breaks in.

Yeah, I’d give it a while for the LF driver to break in, although a 10” or 12” will typically have a bit more bottom end.

The size and weight is what has me interested. It seems like a good value for the price.

Thank you for the update!

Interesting discussion I had online:

How do you like the ISPs?

Love them. I've been using them for several months now. I don't know if they modified their design but ISP sent me some new input boards that would compensate for the Fractal Audio AX8's low output. Buck (the owner of ISP) told me if the modified boards worked they would start putting them in all of their cabs like this. They were very quick to address the problems and fix them.

To me they sound somewhere between an FRFR cab and a guitar cab. The highs are just right. Not too bright, not too muffled. Because of that, I can play a wide range of styles and tones and they all sound good. We do everything from 80's rock with heavy distortion to country with some twang and a little dirt to funk/dance music with that spanky, compressed clean tone.

There is plenty of volume. Some of my sounds have a lot of bottom and those 8" woofers have never distorted.

I had a different (major) brand before this and these are way better.

Back
Top Bottom