ISP Stealth Power Amp / Live sound questions

Mitch5150

New to the community as i just picked up an Axe Fx IIXL. There is an Isp stealth power amp local to me cheep,Does anyone have any experience using this as a power amp? Been debating of how I'm going to go about getting my live sound. Been debating an frfr but being in Canada makes them incredibly expensive and difficult to get a hold of, I have a couple of cabinets as it is so a power amp makes more since. Does the ISP really colour the sound, does it have a decent feel? Compared to other options is it worth it? When only using a amp and not a cab, how does a guitar cab do at presenting the signal from the axe fx?

Thanks,
Mitch

I wasn't familiar with the ISP Stealth Pro Power Amp, so I went to the ISP web page to check it out.

Output Power Mono: 4Ω=75WRMS@1% THD/ 90WRMS@10%
8Ω=45WRMS@1% THD / 60WRMS@10%
Output Power Bridged: 8Ω=140WRMS@1% THD / 175WRMS@10%
16Ω=80WRMS@1% THD/ 106WRMS@ 10%

10% total harmonic distortion? Looks like it gets pretty dirty when driven hard.

Got a good review in two places I found. Type in ISP Stealth Power amplifier review and hunt for yourself. If it's cheep I' hop on it.

I used to run my Axe into an amp and cab rather than direct to PA and, while it sounded pretty good, nothing compared to that FRFR clarity. Just remember, the more you put in your chain, the more diluted your signal/tone will be.

I have one, along with many other solid state amps, and have tried several others. The ISP Stealth (IMHO) is one of my favorite sounding SS amps. It really holds its own even though the wattage is not that high (as mentioned above). I would suggest using 2 bridged for playing in loud situations. As a monitor or for rehearsal, one should cut it.

If the price is right, grab it. Even still, it's great backup amp you can keep in your glove box! =:·)

I am using an ISP Stealth (bridged mono) with a Marshall 2 x 12 cab (in a 4 x 12 sized cabinet). I am not sure if I should shut off cab blocks. I have had some issues where I shut off a cab block and the sound gets quite thin.
I tested the ISP with my Kemper, with the speaker emulation off (not trying to flame or start anything, I swear) and the sound was awesome with any preset.
I suspect I am not not setting the the AXE FX Plus correctly as It should sound as good.
Maybe a power amp setting in the amp block?
I would like to use the AXE FX for my live gigs as I have a really nice, light and small rack with everything inside.
Thanks
Rich

I am using an ISP Stealth (bridged mono) with a Marshall 2 x 12 cab (in a 4 x 12 sized cabinet). I am not sure if I should shut off cab blocks. I have had some issues where I shut off a cab block and the sound gets quite thin.
I tested the ISP with my Kemper, with the speaker emulation off (not trying to flame or start anything, I swear) and the sound was awesome with any preset.
I suspect I am not not setting the the AXE FX Plus correctly as It should sound as good.
Maybe a power amp setting in the amp block?
I would like to use the AXE FX for my live gigs as I have a really nice, light and small rack with everything inside.
Thanks
Rich

Cabs off makes more sense logically, but having them on could be great too so you should experiment with both and not consider either "right" or "wrong." Also, you may want to check out the speaker page in the amp block. I noticed a huge difference with some presets once I got those dialed in. Start here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/about-speaker-lf-resonance.78003/

Back
Top Bottom