ISP Decimator G String II vs Intelligent Gate

bread

Power User
Since my Decimator G String II died last week, I’ve been forced to use the internal gates on the FX8 until I can get a replacement. I’m running a Mesa Boogie Mark V in 4CM with high gain settings, and where the Decimator has done a superb job in the past, I thought I would grab the opportunity to try out the FX8 Intelligent Gate as an alternative. What I’ve found so far is that the Intelligent Gate on the FX8 is easily as good as the Decimator and in some ways I prefer it due to the extra control. I’ve noticed I can eek out a bit extra sustain using the Intelligent Gate – the downside is that I cannot easily adjust it on the stage as I can the Decimator.

If I would be great if I could map the threshold control of the Intelligent Gate to one of the editing control knobs on the FX8 so I could adjust it on the fly, but I’m already persuaded to stay with the Intelligent Gate and free up some real estate on my board by getting rid of the decimator. I'm really impressed with it.

Since my Decimator G String II died last week, I’ve been forced to use the internal gates on the FX8 until I can get a replacement. I’m running a Mesa Boogie Mark V in 4CM with high gain settings, and where the Decimator has done a superb job in the past, I thought I would grab the opportunity to try out the FX8 Intelligent Gate as an alternative. What I’ve found so far is that the Intelligent Gate on the FX8 is easily as good as the Decimator and in some ways I prefer it due to the extra control. I’ve noticed I can eek out a bit extra sustain using the Intelligent Gate – the downside is that I cannot easily adjust it on the stage as I can the Decimator.

If I would be great if I could map the threshold control of the Intelligent Gate to one of the editing control knobs on the FX8 so I could adjust it on the fly, but I’m already persuaded to stay with the Intelligent Gate and free up some real estate on my board by getting rid of the decimator. I'm really impressed with it.
The threshold has a controller on it, so there are lots of external options.

Hi Joe thanks for replying. Would it be be possible to assign the threshold "controller" to one of the A B C D knobs on the editing panel at some point in the future. Same for (say) a global output volume control ?
I can put it on the list for discussion.

I find this to be working well. I have a relay setup to turn on my ch2 with gate in post switch8. I wish I could link the relay to the gate so they both shut off with one click when playing clean. I guess I could make a scene or preset now that I am writing this out. Never mind!

Mind posting your settings for a good starting point?

Hi Joe thanks for replying. Would it be be possible to assign the threshold "controller" to one of the A B C D knobs on the editing panel at some point in the future. Same for (say) a global output volume control ?

I think this is an excellent idea! In light of the limited number of expression pedal inputs (and board space!), the ability to assign those knobs to effect controllers would be awesome. I'ld like to be able to assign those knobs to key effect parameters (gain, tone, etc.) so I don't have to go into edit mode every time I want to tweak them. Being about to change them per preset and scene would be great.

Back
Top Bottom