Isolated guitar tracks on Youtube

GazzaBloom

Inspired
When I listen to the many isolated guitar track videos it's surprising how rough and different from my perception of what the guitar sounded like from the full recording, many od the tracks are. Some of the playing is sloppier than you woukd expect as well.

for example, The Police Message In A Bottle is quite a bit of a dirtier tone than I was expecting. It's good to be able to hear the solos as well with all the ancilliary sounds from the muted strings and even guitar body due to the amount of compression Andy Summer used, sounds like his pedal rather than studio comp to me.

Wish there was some early U2 and Sex Pistols isolated tracks

Sounds about right to me. The trick is to get the entire track sounding a certain way and the constituent tracks will be shaped to fit that goal. When taken in isolation, they are removed from the context that drove the decisions as to how they were recorded.

When practicing at home, there can be awesome and full sounds from any instrument and then these sounds will be a congested mess when all mixed together. One of the reasons that some bands sound professional is that they've tailored the sounds of their instruments to the greater whole. Many guitarists put a shelving cut at an arbitrary low frequency in order to not cloud up the punch of the bass and kick drum. Things like that. If one were to listen to the guitar alone, one could ask: "Why is that guitar lacking any girth?". The mix engineer and/or guitarist are allowing the bass and kick to do that.

Just an example.

The way the guitar sounds on such tracks is usually the sound after mixing. It's been the work of the tech to taylor it right, it's he who cut off some content and he arranged the signals. You don't hear how exactly how the guitar sounded before entering the console, you can only guess.
You could send such a tailored sound to the console, but then there is not much for the tech to work with. When you send a signal with a wider bandwith to the console the tech has enough content to do what he wants to do.
It's a different game when you are player and tech.

The way the guitar sounds on such tracks is usually the sound after mixing. It's been the work of the tech to taylor it right, it's he who cut off some content and he arranged the signals. You don't hear how exactly how the guitar sounded before entering the console, you can only guess.
You could send such a tailored sound to the console, but then there is not much for the tech to work with. When you send a signal with a wider bandwith to the console the tech has enough content to do what he wants to do.
It's a different game when you are player and tech.

I have some Def Leppard and Boston stuff that is pre-processing. Raw, no EQ, no effects...no nothing. Sounds like crap.

Back
Top Bottom