ISO suggestions for getting a Holdsworth tone

mudster

I'm interested in dialing in a timbre like Allan Holdsworth used for his solo "Three Sheets to the Wind" and his classic "Road Games" era sound as heard on the Live in Japan CD/DVD. Throughout his career his live lead tone retained a similar overall timbre. He used a solid-state amp on the 3sttw session, but I'm not sure what amp or drive would be the best starting place for that specific timbre. I don't play in Allan's style, so I'm not seeking to emulate his overall approach. I'm learning to use the FM9 and want to see if I can come up with that general sound.
I understand there are some presets for sale that might help, and I'd be grateful if anyone would post links to these for consideration, but I also want the learning experience of dialing it in to suit my ear and would love to hear your tips.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I’ve been a fan of AH since late 70’s. Was hoping for an answer here. I have a boss gr 100 and just got the fm 9 turbo last week. Will be tweaking to get his tone too. In the meantime check out a guy on FB Yoshinori Seki.

Back
Top Bottom