Is your studio still evolving?

I have had a small spare room\studio for a long time now. Recording stuff, etc has always been good but chairs and desks sucked=always.
So I finally sprung for an adjustable desk./ Got the V2 4 leg uplift desk. Sorry I waited so long. It is amazing (thank You @iaresee) His input helped move me along! Just finished 2 days ago but still working on organizing wires\cables. Just got the needed parts for that today.
I love it.
Still need a GOOD chair, but hey, I am standing mostly so that can wait. Back and neck feel so much better!

I hate practicing mostly because I hate to suck at something.

Re: "more time" - a suggestion. Find something new you want to learn. Spend 15 min practicing it per day come hell or high water. We can all find 15 min, right? If not, 10 min, 5min, ...

In a few days/weeks, you'll notice a difference. Of course, "practice" isn't noodling on stuff you know, or playing sloppy on something you don't. A wise person once said "play slow to learn fast".
I'd say that disciplined study has never been easy for me. I can recall in college trying to study when I was on campus full-time, and distractions made it near impossible to study well.

Though finding 15 to 20 minutes a day is feasible, setting a time for it each day may prove daunting.

My computer and my phone has a metronome on each, and if anything I'd likely need to remember what basic things I was taught way back when, and build upward.

Just like building a house, you start with a foundation, and work your way up. Lots of work ahead.

I'd say that disciplined study has never been easy for me. I can recall in college trying to study when I was on campus full-time, and distractions made it near impossible to study well.

Though finding 15 to 20 minutes a day is feasible, setting a time for it each day may prove daunting.

My computer and my phone has a metronome on each, and if anything I'd likely need to remember what basic things I was taught way back when, and build upward.

Just like building a house, you start with a foundation, and work your way up. Lots of work ahead.
Yeah, I wouldn't approach it by scheduling a set 15 min. I'd make it a must do item for sometime in the day. If it's bedtime and you haven't gotten to it, that's the time. Otherwise, every time you have a few free minutes, ask if you can squeeze it in.

I always kept a guitar in my office and tried to grab it every day, even though I was a busy medium-wig at a Really Big Company.

I really like where my studio is at, although I fear its days are numbered...not because I want to change anything, but because I might be forced to :confused:

Aside from my own projects I do session work for a few local studios/artists, both guitar (acoustic/electric) and keyboard. Sometimes drum tracking. Gear list is basically this:

• AX8 / FM3
  • Custom Avatar speaker cab, also an Epiphone Valve Jr, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Supreme 160, Ampeg VH140C, I've got amps covered.
  • Presonus 1818VSL
  • UAD 4-710d preamp & A/D
  • Neumann TLM102, matched set of Australian KM84 clone mics, SM7B, usual 57/58, Beta 52
  • Full Native Instruments software suite and 88-key controller
  • Twin UAD Accelerator PCI cards with many extra plugins activated
  • HS7 monitors / HS8 sub

So with the Presonus connected by USB, I've got a full 18 inputs to work with...the 8 preamps it's got, plus 4 (much better) preamps and 4 line-in via the UAD 4-710d connected through ADAT, and the SPDIF which I usually use for the Fractal gear. Basically good enough to track anything from solo acoustic to vocals to full band, it all works and sounds great, no latency issues at all, etc.

Now the bad. I've upgraded the main computer with 2 TB SSDs internally, 20 GB ram. Plenty fast. It's also over 12 years old and still running Windows 7 with only USB 2.0 onboard. No HDMI, just VGA. Motherboard architecture does not support USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. Presonus abandoned support for the 1818VSL years ago and basically the only way to use it besides just general playback is through the DAW software, which in my case is Studio One 3. Can't upgrade that without going to Windows 10. If I go to Win 10, I pretty much have to reinstall everything from scratch, which is over 500 GB of Native Instruments libraries alone, plus all the licensing for the UAD hardware and various iLok stuff. I'm on legacy drivers for the 1818VSL as it is, so who knows what the compatibility will be there.

At that point I would question even spending the time to upgrade all that software on a 12-year-old machine that is still stuck with USB 2.0, so I'd probably just start over with a new PC. And of course at that point I'd want an interface that's more flexible and better supported, without losing any of the routing or inputs I have now. And then, and then, and then...$$$ and a lot of downtime and figuring out how to get all that crap transferred and working properly.

Fact is, I don't need anything better than what I've got, it works perfectly fine, and I rather enjoy the fact that most of the software is so far beyond support that I don't have to worry about surprise updates or new subscription-based services. I can still track in true 24-bit/48Khz that the local studios want to work with. It's just that to make any meaningful changes, there's a lot that needs to change.

Yeah, I wouldn't approach it by scheduling a set 15 min. I'd make it a must do item for sometime in the day. If it's bedtime and you haven't gotten to it, that's the time. Otherwise, every time you have a few free minutes, ask if you can squeeze it in.

I always kept a guitar in my office and tried to grab it every day, even though I was a busy medium-wig at a Really Big Company.
My work involves front store retail sales (my degree didn't work out the way I'd hoped, fortunately) and my non-work day typically consists of non-secular study, computer time, household chores, gardening, various business and medical appointments, drive time, and shopping.

The largest chunk of time of my non-work days is computer time, mostly online with gear forums, messaging, or viewing/copying new recipes that advances my cooking ability.

I'd guess that I spend on the average a good 8 to 10 hours on the computer. The key would be to take a break from the computer and set aside time for guitar practice, perhaps 15 to 20 minutes to begin with. I usually work straight thru without breaks for a couple hours, so learning to parcel out break time so that it's productive would be of the best benefit.

I really don't have an issue with taking time out for practice, it's the initial motivation that's the problem. Most folks do have issues about something, just don't make mine a case of a reading something and sneezing...news flash...

One of the last upgrades to this bedroom "studio" was

Martin Acoustic Electric Guitar, and acoustic guitar stand

wireless keyboard and mouse - now I can easily move them off the desk and use the desk as a temporary guitar workstation

A 55" Series 6 TCL LED TV with a great low lag/no lag game mode. Sometimes I play rocksmith.

Iso monitor stand

Next upgrade : a couple more guitar stands. I keep guitars stored on the wall. I'll bring a few down to set on stands in my playing area, so I can just grab one, switch over. I think I'll order those today. Two more stands should do well.

Soon : Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170

Last edited:
Not sure what I’ll be doing to upgrade mine while I’m living in an apartment. Maybe a vocal booth because the inability to record vocals (I get loud) in there is really holding back a lot of progress. I’ve got it to a point where my mixes are nearly 1:1 between the studio and other listening devices. Getting ready to drop a couple plug-in subscriptions (Slate) that I haven’t used in a year.

I’ll probably focus more money towards live gear and upgrading my cabs.

Not sure what I’ll be doing to upgrade mine while I’m living in an apartment. Maybe a vocal booth because the inability to record vocals (I get loud) in there is really holding back a lot of progress. I’ve got it to a point where my mixes are nearly 1:1 between the studio and other listening devices. Getting ready to drop a couple plug-in subscriptions (Slate) that I haven’t used in a year.

I’ll probably focus more money towards live gear and upgrading my cabs.
TBH, at one stage in my life, I intended on owning a speaker isolation cabinet. The intent was for recording purposes, but that didn't pan out, and I found more efficient/effective ways of recording direct and utilizing my DAWs plug-ins for adding effects and mastering. It was just as well. Had I put an isolation cab in my music room basement, I would not have had room for the rest of my music gear, workstation, and repair table.

My work involves front store retail sales (my degree didn't work out the way I'd hoped, fortunately) and my non-work day typically consists of non-secular study, computer time, household chores, gardening, various business and medical appointments, drive time, and shopping.

The largest chunk of time of my non-work days is computer time, mostly online with gear forums, messaging, or viewing/copying new recipes that advances my cooking ability.

I'd guess that I spend on the average a good 8 to 10 hours on the computer. The key would be to take a break from the computer and set aside time for guitar practice, perhaps 15 to 20 minutes to begin with. I usually work straight thru without breaks for a couple hours, so learning to parcel out break time so that it's productive would be of the best benefit.

I really don't have an issue with taking time out for practice, it's the initial motivation that's the problem. Most folks do have issues about something, just don't make mine a case of a reading something and sneezing...news flash...
Yeah, it's easy to get sucked in to the computer. Maybe do it first and have computer time as a reward?

Yeah, it's easy to get sucked in to the computer. Maybe do it first and have computer time as a reward?

Also, NOT having social media, time-sucking apps, and Internet access on a computer can help. Not everyone
can afford it, but a dedicated music only computer/laptop, is great for those like me who lack discipline. :)

mine is still evolving…as a dream mostly. I had my wife talked into finishing my unfinished basement office/guitar area into a finished room which would get the studio treatment….and we found out about the surprise 3rd kid on the way.

So studio is delayed but not forgotten. 2B7530D3-38A7-44A1-BDF8-8081F5FD253C.jpeg

That works! I practice on a strict schedule. First thing in the morning for a 2-3 hours. Early before it's light. Before the day starts. But for me consistency is the key.

I think my best practice timer typically occurs between 3 and 7 PM. Usually when I'm channeling my emotions. I've discovered that sadness, anger, anxiety, my negative side often improves when I channel, because much like kids channel their energy into after-school sports when their emotions are "charged up," I often practice best when my mind is alert, focused, and paying attention. It's a form of cathartic release, if you will. I don't think of things specifically skewed to help me with study or practice, except that being upright and focused does what's important in my instance.

This afternoon, I set aside time to work in my garden, installing CD-reflective bird and rodent deterrents, cleaning/maintaining my grill, planting some seeds in clay pots for the front window.

Wednesday I'll need to also spend time disassembling one of my grill burner venturis, cleaning that, and reassembling. It's supposed to be upper 80s/low 90s Wednesday, so I think I might need to try all of this before the sun crests the roofline into the backyard ASAP.

With that chore accomplished, a cool shower and drink, while setting up for practice seems appropriate. I think if I've prepared adequately, the usual anxiety gives way to more confident practice, and the channelling of residual negative emotions is successfully changed to positive feelings. TBH, its essentially a balancing act of how bad feelings can change into good ones, given the correct attitude and "treatment." I think I might need to be watchful of my most "base" emotions, and strive for positive ones given the fact that unless one finds happiness despite the greater negative environment, we'd truly have no hope. Look for the positive (the silver lining instead of seeing the doom & gloom).

The reward will likely be treating myself to a nice dinner or perhaps something that reinforces positive feelings. And really, this is how parents would like to help their children feel better after a tough day in school or work. If a person can find an outlet to channel the negative emotions, (the gym, for instance), you'll feel, breathe, and sleep better.

Last edited:
It's more DEvolving right now... I just moved from a house where I had a spare bedroom for office / studio, now I'm in one-bedroom apartment. So not only don't have much space, I have to get used to thinking about neighbors ;-) . Sold a few pieces already, and almost all the rest of the gear is in a Storage space while I organize the apartment; then I'll bring it over.

Looks like I'll have room for just about all of it, but there won't be much of a "studio" - it'll be like @Morphine said, a corner.

Over the years I've always had a dedicated space/corner for my studio. I'm at the point now where if anything I'm trying to streamline as opposed to add more. I've been a real gearslut at heart for so long just chasing gear and toys for the pure enjoyment and sake of doing so. I have more than enough good gear to produce music and yet I don't. I have felt guilty for that for so long and have also come to realize that part of the enjoyment is just having the space should I finally motivate myself to finish song ideas. I recently sold my full sized 88 keyboard cuz it just takes up so much floor space and I wasnt playing it as much lately. I instead got a 61 key Komplete keyboard (sits on top my desk) which fills the need for playing keys. It was an adjustment as i grew up playing a proper piano and so used to the 88 keys. I have been using the same desk from parts i cobbled together, for 15 yrs now. The one thing I will eventually change is a nicer studio desk. Thats about it.

I can't prove it for certain, but digging through the detritus on my studio desk, I see the remains of earlier pieces of gear that provide strong evidence that it is in fact evolving.

My studio computer just went out and I ordered a creation Station CS400 from Sweetwater and it should be here soon. It's going to be a job putting everything on a new computer. I guess that's an evolving event.

It's basically been shut down since COVID - which hit about a day after I launched the scheduling form :(

I did get a chance to record 4 songs and mix this EP (2 we're done in CA before the PDX studio was online):

All guitars are Axe FX III.
I've spent the last two days bringing everything back up and installing a fresh Axe FX III Turbo in the credenza and a new Mac Studio computer :) Should be open for business soon!

Back
Top Bottom