Is Ultra/Std still worth it ?

I just got my Standard today, and I think it destroys any amp sims I was using (Bias FX, TSE X50, BRAINWORX). It is just more clear, crisp, and heavy when I need it to be, and the cleans are defined. The effects are sick. I am a big production kinda guy with the metal music I write, so I am not worried about missing out on features of better versions of the axe fx. Coming from VST's, I feel grateful to have a really great sounding unit.

gen 1 and cab lab. you are good to go.

Yea thats exactly what I use. The new Zilla pack sounds sick with the Gen 1. I pretty much have a good handle on the Axe, its actually really simple and well laid out. Nothing too overbearing. My favorite amp models so far are the Rockerverb, Fryette, Engl, and Friedman. They sound great in a mix to my ears.

Yea thats exactly what I use. The new Zilla pack sounds sick with the Gen 1. I pretty much have a good handle on the Axe, its actually really simple and well laid out. Nothing too overbearing. My favorite amp models so far are the Rockerverb, Fryette, Engl, and Friedman. They sound great in a mix to my ears.

Ultra/Standard work with Cab Lab?

How do you use it with the ultra? Does it work in real time (for just playing) or do u record a track without a cab and apply the plugin then?

I love my ultra and this would definitely open a few more doors!

I've been playing my Standard the last few years. At the moment I would take it out to a live gig because I'm not ready to play my new AX8 live yet. Reason for buying a AX8 was that a I was looking for an MFC and found the AX8. I thought I could reduce the footprint of my rig. It is a really great unit and I love it. But if I never bought it I would be totally happy with my Standard.

How do you use it with the ultra? Does it work in real time (for just playing) or do u record a track without a cab and apply the plugin then?

I love my ultra and this would definitely open a few more doors!

What I would do is send your guitars per group track in your DAW with cab lab on the group tracks while bypassing the cab in the axe fx. You can hold up to 10 aftermarket impulses on the old ultra.

I have not read all the posts here yet, but I wanted to reply because I just (Oct 2016) bought a Gen1-Standard.

After day #2 (day#1 was only an hour or so), I can say it is great, and when I have the power speaker/monitor, it would be worth selling an amp or 2 and going with this. Maybe one day I will get the II or the AX8, but I can say the amount of sound I found on day 1, and how well they sounded, amazed me. I have not come close to dialing this thing in, I have made 2 patches of my own, and I have much to learn.

The biggest thing I have found is that it works best with an XLR cable and a power PA type speaker. The 2 way system with a speaker and tweeter makes it sound more like a modeling system and less like a pedal, if that even makes sense. When I plugged it into the front of my amp and used it like that, I was underwhelmed. Then, I went to the store and tried a powered speaker, and it sounded like a different system.

The guy at the store said to use the FX return plug to bypass the amp's preamp and it will sound better. However, at the end of the day, if you plug one of these into your amp, it seems you are limited to soundling like your old amp. I do not think there is some miracle device that will plug into any amp and make it sound totally like another amp and speaker. this is why the flat-response stuff is needed to get the most out of an AXE-FX. I am going to try a keyboard amp I have tomorrow and see how that sounds. I think the only hope for using a 4x12 cab is to buy a solid-state power amp, like the MonoPrice unit of a Crate Powerblock, or similar. I have heard some people use a Line6 Firehawk 1500, where you get both a guitar amp and a modeler like 2-in-1, I have to check that out more. Also saw someone used the Line6 AmpliFI, those are also modelers with 3 way speakers. Would love to find a way to use my Technics 3 ways I never sold that also have 15" woofers, tweeters, and horns in them, maybe I can use those with a power amp?

Anyway, I will read the rest of the posts, but I think the original Gen1 stuff still can be used, I have firmware 11 (Oct 2016). I did have to clean the VALUE pot, which is the main one, but that was not too hard to do. Best thing is, the Gen1's are around $600, and many more people can swallow that pill than $1500.

David

So what we dcan actually say is: the gen 1 units are stil absolutely worth it.
I dont know for how much they go in oversea but in germany you find some standarts for around 800€ and the ultras for about 1.2k
I bought my Ultra 2 years ago with a 3unit rack for 1.1k€ and I am very happy with it. I dont think that I already used all of its features so far, but it is just a killer unit. Apparently I cannot compare it with the gen 2 units, because I never got my hands on one so far. but compared to what I played on before (I was using an Avid Eleven Rack) it was such a big upgrade. My favourite amps so far are the Bogner Shiva Models and the Dr. Z. Maz 38.
In the studio 90% of the time I use the ultra only with the Lecab 2 plugin (do not see why I should spend money for the cablab 3 plugin, because I think that lecab does the same job and its even easier to tweak. and in over 90% of any studio situation I use the Ownhammer Bogner 4x12 IR Library.

For live shows, I have my 10 space rig with a tube amp and the ultra hooked up in 4 cable method. So I use the ultra only as an effects processor and it works very well for me.

You can have a look at it by clicking the link on my signature. Because that rig got me invited at Hughes&Kettner =)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom