Is Ultra/Std still worth it ?

Maciek

Hi guys,

Im wondering about changing my whole set up from tube amp and pedalboard with some effects to axe . Never been a digital guy, always prefered the real thing. Ive tried FxII for few minutes and it was pretty amazing - not only the sound but the feel while playing was pretty close to playing the real amp (fractal was plugged to pc, and the studio monitors, no tube power amp included :D). Anyway - fxII is out of my price range, and for now i dont have a chance to try Fx , so here comes my question - is it still worth the money, and does it also have the feel of the real thing while playing ?

If you want to have the "real thing", then no. The Ultra/Std are good products, they still sound amazing, but when it comes to feel you'd be disappointed. Right now I use my old Ultra in the rehearsal room, because I moved away, so I don't want to carry my Axe II with me all the time. It's good enough for rehearsals, but it doesn't feel as good as my Axe II.

You could get an AX8, which has the same sound quality like the Axe II, but costs much less!

Loved my Ultras but personally I'd continue to save up a little longer and get yourself a used II or AX8. Ultra is great but II is a different beast and you already have that as your point of reference.

I started with an Ultra and bought the II when it came out. The II is better for a lot of reasons -- a little closer to "in-the-room" feel, USB makes computer hook up much easier -- but I still use the Ultra occasionally. It sounds much better than any other modeler and you can get one for less than half the price of a II. If money is a concern, I would say Ultras are definitely a consideration.

connecting the ultra to a PC is not its strong point. It is A great machine for lightning up your rig. but an axe fx II it is not.

It's funny how everyone dumps on the Gen1 units now, even here. When these units were current people were selling their boutique tube amps because they had found "it" with the Gen1s. They were talking about how they did not miss their old amps or that they were collecting dust because they had found a unit that not only sounded great but also felt great. Now, suddenly, they're "lacking", LOL. Wonder what people will say about the II when the next wizbang thing comes out.

FWIW, I play both my Ultra and II regularly. I LOVE my Ultra. It is SOOO dialed in. I am constantly d*cking with the II because half of my patches are out of date. All of my patches are named "something FW18,F19,Q1,Q2,Q204,FW12,etc" I probably have patches dialed for eight or nine different versions on it right now. I'll bring up a preset and think, does this sound funky because my ears are tired or because something changed? It is fun but it is the Neverending Story. It is an amazing unit but even though it has gotten easier to dial the never ending change causes much wheel spinning.

For base tones, I find that the Ultra is MUCH more work to dial up front but it is never going to change on you, this is both bad and good. It is rare for me to have a patch that does not have a PEQ somewhere in the chain, use of 'Advanced Parameters' is much more common, I almost never touch them on the II unless I am experimenting for fun on the Ultra it can be a necessity. It tends to sound more similar from model to model than the II. The II feels a *little* more 'alive' for lack of a better word. But, now that it is setup it is instant gratification. I fire it up and boom, it is there, right where I want it no guess work. Most of the II advantages disappear in the config I use it in: Ultra->Power Amp->Guitar Cab. A lot of the improvements in the cab section are not needed because I use the real deal. The real cab gives a real amp in the room experience and feel. But of course it can make great recordings, too. I used to run a tube preamp->tube power amp rack rig. The Ultra + SS Power Amp crushes any config of my tube rig (as does the II).

The II has better features. The II is more up to date. The II continues to improve. The II is WORTH the extra cost and the time investment.

That said, the Ultra and Standard are the best units you can possibly buy for what they go for on the used market. They are worth way more than the asking price. I would literally take them over any similarly priced product out there and could happily use them forever in their domain. They do not get enough love/respect anymore, IMHO.

If the tone is crushing today it will be crushing tomorrow or ten years from now, IMHO.

It's funny how everyone dumps on the Gen1 units now, even here. When these units were current people were selling their boutique tube amps because they had found "it" with the Gen1s. They were talking about how they did not miss their old amps or that they were collecting dust because they had found a unit that not only sounded great but also felt great. Now, suddenly, they're "lacking", LOL. Wonder what people will say about the II when the next wizbang thing comes out.

FWIW, I play both my Ultra and II regularly. I LOVE my Ultra. It is SOOO dialed in. I am constantly d*cking with the II because half of my patches are out of date. All of my patches are named "something FW18,F19,Q1,Q2,Q204,FW12,etc" I probably have patches dialed for eight or nine different versions on it right now. I'll bring up a preset and think, does this sound funky because my ears are tired or because something changed? It is fun but it is the Neverending Story. It is an amazing unit but even though it has gotten easier to dial the never ending change causes much wheel spinning.

For base tones, I find that the Ultra is MUCH more work to dial up front but it is never going to change on you, this is both bad and good. It is rare for me to have a patch that does not have a PEQ somewhere in the chain, use of 'Advanced Parameters' is much more common, I almost never touch them on the II unless I am experimenting for fun on the Ultra it can be a necessity. It tends to sound more similar from model to model than the II. The II feels a *little* more 'alive' for lack of a better word. But, now that it is setup it is instant gratification. I fire it up and boom, it is there, right where I want it no guess work. Most of the II advantages disappear in the config I use it in: Ultra->Power Amp->Guitar Cab. A lot of the improvements in the cab section are not needed because I use the real deal. The real cab gives a real amp in the room experience and feel. But of course it can make great recordings, too. I used to run a tube preamp->tube power amp rack rig. The Ultra + SS Power Amp crushes any config of my tube rig (as does the II).

The II has better features. The II is more up to date. The II continues to improve. The II is WORTH the extra cost and the time investment.

That said, the Ultra and Standard are the best units you can possibly buy for what they go for on the used market. They are worth way more than the asking price. I would literally take them over any similarly priced product out there and could happily use them forever in their domain. They do not get enough love/respect anymore, IMHO.

If the tone is crushing today it will be crushing tomorrow or ten years from now, IMHO.

I own an Axe-Fx Standard, and it does the job for me........nuff said.

I have an Ultra and an XL. I still use the Ultra for live work by choice. The presets change faster and there are a bevy of presets that have yet to be matched by any version. I use the XL for studio work.

It's funny how everyone dumps on the Gen1 units now, even here.
I don't think any here in this post dumped on the gen one units, or ment to. looks like all the post's were showing we loved our ultras but the axe II is better. I have a ultra, a mkII, and a xl. I plan on buying 2 ax-8 when I get my long awaited invite. Even then I do not plan on getting ride of the ultra.

As someone who owns both, and still uses the Ultra live three nights a week, I'd recommend saving for the II. The only reason I still use the Ultra is the time it would take to reprogram all of my band's repertoire from scratch in the II.

The Ultra was the best product on the market at the time to replace my 12-space rack full of preamps and effects. But I wish the II had been out when I started the Fractal path. If you plan on creating a large number of presets, don't get stuck in the same situation as me. Save for the II. It is, IMOHO, far superior in most every respect.

The Ultra was good enough to make me sell my Mesa Road King II to buy it. If you can get a deal and you want to get you feet wet, it won't be a waste of money. It didn't suddenly sound crappy with the advent of the II.

If you can save for the II, then by all means do so. It's everything the Ultra was taken to another level.

If you want real-thing feel at close to the Ultra price, you should consider the AX8. Axe FX II sound at less cost. NOT Axe FX II capable, but with the cuts in how involved your presets can get and not in the quality of sound. It's a monster box for those with needing top of the line tone and don't need colossal presets to get there.

I just picked up an Ultra and I couldn't be happier. Dialled in it's an absolute tone monster, and second hand it was a far more affordable option than an AFX2.

Hi Guys,
I'm VERY new. Just landed my first Fractal product (Ultra) last week and had enough time to dial in a few sounds for my Saturday gig. I've used some pretty good gear over the years, but I have never gotten compliments on my sound as I did when using the Ultra. I don't even have a handle on the thing yet!! :) I'm very happy with it and it is MONSTEROUS sounding with my 2 2x12 & Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp. Considering that you would spend more the two lowest priced amps and a few pedals modeled in the Fractal, I think it's a winner all the way around.

I think they are fine, at least your tones wont change every other firmware (exaggeration but it's pretty close). Still lots of great tones to be had. I also think it's funny those who dump on them now, when they were the shit a few years ago.

Hi all!
I'm also completely NEW here and got my FIRST Fractal a week ago. Some issues trying to connect it to my Mac and finding a suitable controller...dealing with midi stuff is not my strong point lol... But that ULTRA is the best piece of gear I've had up to now. For someone who is changing a whole set from tube amp and fx like me, the Ultra is a good first step. You'll always be on time to resell it and buy a II or go back to tubes (not my case)

Hi, I´m new at this forum. I have looked at the Axe-FX for a while. but never had a change to get one!

But tomorrow, yes tomorrow I will bought an Axe FX Standard, a used one ! This will be a wonderful journey with my new units to my old Marshall EL34 100/100 Power Amp and Engl 4x12 and 2x12 guitar rig :) And all of my five Jericho Guitars I have...

Axe FX Standard Here we come
IF I like that I will soon upgrade the latest XL+

/ johan
sweden (lead guitarplayer The Grand Station)

As someone who owns both, and still uses the Ultra live three nights a week, I'd recommend saving for the II. The only reason I still use the Ultra is the time it would take to reprogram all of my band's repertoire from scratch in the II.

The Ultra was the best product on the market at the time to replace my 12-space rack full of preamps and effects. But I wish the II had been out when I started the Fractal path. If you plan on creating a large number of presets, don't get stuck in the same situation as me. Save for the II. It is, IMOHO, far superior in most every respect.

Or better yet, start saving for the Axe-FX 3 now and get ahead of the game!

To update from my previous post, I just completed an overseas tour with my band and used the Axe Ultra direct to FOH for all the shows (a festival, some outdoor gigs and a few clubs) and consistently got sounds I was happy with, and that kept the FOH and monitor guys happy. Plus it's made setup and sound check a breeze which has resulted in less stress before a gig and more time to have fun!

Back
Top Bottom