Is this Suhr Trade seem like a fair deal?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I have a Suhr Custom Modern that I was looking to sell or trade. Main reason is because it has a floyd rose which I never use. It never gets played because of this. Im looking for the same guitar just with a standard trem.

Here's mine.
e472fbcd59027e2cdffd0e9b16b36a2a.jpg
f1d44beda85d5a214f6af342ee96597d.jpg

I have a trade offer for another suhr modern which is along the lines of what I want. However mine has some significant upgrades that this one doesn't have. Ie. 3/4" maple top, reverse headstock, black hardware, carved top, roasted neck. These are not imperative for me to have but I just want to make sure it's a fair trade and that I'm not giving away the guitar too cheap and getting the way short end of the stick.

Here's the trade I'm considering.
9a799e93dbe492c50b43556fcfeab69b.jpg

ed1fa0cee3be43208477059192b83f0f.jpg

The deal right now is $400 cash plus his guitar for mine. Both are same immaculate condition. Both have cases. I've included both spec sheets.

Do you think it's a fair trade or should I be getting more cash on his end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I'm not familiar enough with Suhr guitars to give the best advice on it, I'd say look at the price difference on both guitars if they were new, then decide from there if the cash on his end is enough. I mean you wouldn't want to trade a $4000.00 guitar for a $2500.00 guitar + $400 cash on it. Again, those are just guessed numbers since I'm not too familiar with their pricing and features.

Edit: Have you thought about just blocking your FR bridge? It might be simpler to just do that and keep the features you have and not lose out on a trade value.

Is it because of the Locking Trem? the 510 bridge is nice but it's still a trem. The overall deal seems fair from my perspective but it's your deal so it has to make sense to you. Personally I have lost money on deals like this but at the gain of something that I wanted so to me the money was not an issue.

There's about $1400 in upgrades but then again that's retail pricing. What's the real used value vs used value is what I'm wondering. $900 for a 3/4" maple top seems pretty steep and I don't think it adds that much value to the guitar on the used market. That's why I feel it's a fair deal for the most part. Definitely seems to be swayed more towards the other guy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it because of the Locking Trem? the 510 bridge is nice but it's still a trem. The overall deal seems fair from my perspective but it's your deal so it has to make sense to you. Personally I have lost money on deals like this but at the gain of something that I wanted so to me the money was not an issue.

Yes. I never liked the feel and sound of a locking trem.

Also the Neck Dimensions are different. His has a 16mm Radius is that what your looking for?

Yes all the specs on his are what I'm looking for I'm just trying to see if it's an equal value. It's local so I'll be able to try it first before I trade just incase

You ultimately need to decide what is most important to you.

First, you are getting a guitar that you will ACTUALLY play. To me, that's the most important part :)
Second, you have upgrades no doubt, yet this is a USED exchange, I don't think you can price things for what they cost new.
Third, you can look on the Suhr site and see what most of the upgrades cost:

3/4 Carved Quilt Top is a more significant than regular Quilt upgrade
Vulcanized Maple is NO LONGER available, only roasted maple for $150
Fingerboards are same, neck shape is same, lot's very similar
Black Hardware is $300 upgrade
Don't know about reverse headstock
What about pick-ups?
Black Gloss Headstock $100

The other guitar has a matching figured headstock $400 upgrade and mahogany body is $100

Bottom line, they both have "extras." You need to decide what it's worth to have a guitar you will play VS one you don't.
The trade price is up to you...seems pretty right from what I can tell.

Just me perspective (also a guy that dislikes FR bridges), it looks to me like you're on the wrong side of this deal, and that he'd be getting a lot more guitar with his $400 than he would otherwise.
...I would hold out for a better cash offer, but that's just me. And I prefer your guitar to his by those pics.

Is it equal value? No, IMHO yours is better. But, if his guitar has exactly what you want and is willing to give you $400 to boot, you might want to consider it. From what I'm seeing it's been a buyers market lately so people aren't getting as much for their equipment as they would like and it might be less hassle to just do the swap with the cash.

But if it were me I'd keep yours, it's sweet.

I agree that getting a guitar you'll enjoy and play more is really the key. I did a trade such as this a few years ago. Well, it was selling a guitar to a music store in order to buy a guitar they had in stock. The guitar I sold cost $1600 and the one I bought was $1100 off the rack. I took a bath on the first guitar, but Floyds and pointy headstocks just weren't my thing.

You could try selling your guitar and seeing what someone would pay for it. Suhr is a great name, but I'm not sure how easy they are to resell. Ebay or this forum would probably be your best bet. I've noticed that Craigslist, at least around the Dallas area, if it's not Fender, Gibson or PRS no one knows what it is and therefore won't bite.

Trades can be dicey, but if it's for a guitar you want plus some cash and the other party isn't yanking your chain, do it. At least the other party is offering a nice Suhr guitar in the deal. At least he's not offering you something laughable like a stack of guitar magazines from the 80s and a Van Halen poster in trade for your Suhr ;-)

I will definitely get a ton more use out of it. I just don't want to come to find out that the guitar was worth much more then I thought.

I will definitely get a ton more use out of it. I just don't want to come to find out that the guitar was worth much more then I thought.

Maybe you could just contact Suhr or a Suhr dealer and ask their opinion of the value of each guitar.

Last edited:

I agree, I think this is your answer.

Back
Top Bottom