Is this possible with the 3?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I never was able to accomplish this with the II due to processing limitations and also i had to use cable converter attachments. So basically here's what I want to do.

I've always struggled with my in ear monitor tone somewhat. Doesn't sound bad just not great. Since a good in ear tone doesn't necessarily translate well to Front of house, I basically want to run a preset with two identical signal chains. One that goes to output 1 to the FOH and output 2 that runs to my in ears. That way I can dial in my preset on my wedge for FOH translation and then the other signal chain can be dialed in while listening through my JHaudio 16's.

This would require two of every block unless there is an easier way to accomplish this.

Does the 3 have the processing power to run two chains like that? And also, can both chains be set up through midi to be controlled with the MFC indentically as well?

Any thoughts?

From what I'm seeing it has the processing power unless something is really crazy with effects. Could you just get at the end of the signal chain and add an eq that feeds the in ear output?

I dunno about double switching but I'd imagine so - it would definitely be helpful to turn on off more effects with one switch - I'm sure scenes would work.

That sounds complicated.

Have you put any EQ curves on your IEMs in general? I can’t use any IEMs as-is for performance and I make some pretty drastic changes on the parametric EQ on my IEM output channel.

Once I do this, everything sounds better and closer to what FOH sounds like and I stick with just one tone.

That sounds complicated.

Have you put any EQ curves on your IEMs in general? I can’t use any IEMs as-is for performance and I make some pretty drastic changes on the parametric EQ on my IEM output channel.

Once I do this, everything sounds better and closer to what FOH sounds like and I stick with just one tone.
This sounds like a much more practical solution.

I can see changing EQ to suit in-ears. Maybe adding a little reverb. But changing every block — amp, cabs, delays, and other effects — seems a little counterproductive. I want the tone I hear to be as close as possible to what FOH hears. Change your amp's gain structure, and you pretty much lose the last scrap of a clue as to what you sound like "out there."

But yes, the Axe III can run to pretty comprehensive chains.

Eq would definitely Change. Also I would probably run more stereo effects or delay for the in ears for more separation. So maybe I’d only have to run two identical amp blocks. I find it easier to tweak the amp within the amp block vs adding an eq block and just guessing which frequencies

I do feel the gain would change. Gain definitely gets muddier easier when listening through ear buds vs a FR speaker. So I may dial
Back the gain a bit in the in ears to clean up the signal.

The easiest way to do this would be to just add another output block for the IEMs, put an EQ block or two in front of it and use those. Rest of the chain would stay the same.

The easiest way to do this would be to just add another output block for the IEMs, put an EQ block or two in front of it and use those. Rest of the chain would stay the same.
But like I said, I would want to change some of the effects to stereo, I may have to tweak the gain of the amp slightly as well.

Last edited:
If you are not using your FX Loop then you could simply run a parallel shunt from the last effect block in your chain with an FX Loop in it and put an Eq in front of the FXLoop. I can't see any reason you couldn't do this on the Axe FX2

----Last block----------------------------||output 1
************\PEQ---FXLoop***||

there are numerous ways to achieve what you want with the III, as noted above, and plenty of cpu for you to do what you first suggested with independent signal chains, but I would experiment with all options.Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 8.09.21 AM.png

there are numerous ways to achieve what you want with the III, as noted above, and plenty of cpu for you to do what you first suggested with independent signal chains, but I would experiment with all options.View attachment 46665

This is basically what I was thinking. I’m sure there are other simplified ways to accomplish this but that way would allow me to make any necessary changes without effecting the foh chain. Simply eq’ing at the end is not what I’m looking to accomplish. I can eq right with my in ear system or within my behringer X32 for my in ears. I’d rather tweak my overall tone from scratch right within the amp block.

This is basically what I was thinking. I’m sure there are other simplified ways to accomplish this but that way would allow me to make any necessary changes without effecting the foh chain. Simply eq’ing at the end is not what I’m looking to accomplish. I can eq right with my in ear system or within my behringer X32 for my in ears. I’d rather tweak my overall tone from scratch right within the amp block.
And even with this setup, you have 2 free FX loops!

And if you attempt more complex patches , you can branch off your last pre-AMP block to share the preFX and conserve cpu if needed.

If you are not using your FX Loop then you could simply run a parallel shunt from the last effect block in your chain with an FX Loop in it and put an Eq in front of the FXLoop. I can't see any reason you couldn't do this on the Axe FX2

----Last block----------------------------||output 1
************\PEQ---FXLoop***||
There is no FXLoop on the Axe Fx III. There are multiple Input and Output blocks, which can be used for various purposes...

I OP's scenario, I would split the signal chain after the cab (or after a few post-cab efx if need be) and then put an EQ like many have suggested on the IEM chain plus perhaps delay and certainly reverb, as I tend to like my IEM mix a little more wet reverb wise than my normal cab / wedge / FOH mix, but I would not make 2 completely separate chains, way too much upkeep when dialing tones and I want to work with the same boost-od-amp gain stageing and gain structure on both FOH and IEM mix.

Back
Top Bottom