Is this possible? (FM3 workaround for one Amp Block)

Jeggz

Inspired
Set your normal preset to Out 1 , then have another row sharing the same input block going into a Drive Block, with an eq Block after it , to approximate a “power amp” going to Out 2.
Then send Out 1&2 to separate channels of a power amp going to two separate cabinets.

Not near my stuff, just thinking out loud.

I have seen this done with the drive block into a cab block, in place of an amp. Not sure if you will get a real amp sound with just a drive and EQ.

I don’t use Cab Blocks, because I use real cabs, but I’ll experiment, see what sounds good.
I’m pretty sure I can get a useable live tone with the Shred and Eq into a 4-12.
I’m envisioning it sorta sounding like a 5153 (Amp block) on one side of the stage and a Randall RG100 (Drive block with eq block) on the other.

I think that’s where the Eq will come into play.
Or not.

We’ll see tomorrow sometime.

Here’s a quick (one handed) demo.

As expected the EQ Block was necessary.

Being I’ve only one cabinet in the 400sqft apartment I can’t do the dual cab thing, but this shows it’s definitely a viable workaround.

9630531C-DD86-498F-984B-6A19960477A2.jpeg Here’s what a whole setup would look like, 63% CPU isn’t too bad either.
Wish I had another cab here to really test it out.

B.T.W... There is already a GEQ in the Drive block. Make sure that it is set to 'Post'. And the Amp block, for that matter. Saves some more CPU? And getting rid of most/all of those shunts will save even more.

Also, try out the 'Tube Drive 4-knob' model for this.

Shutting off the Input Block Gate, and removing the shunts brought me down to 58%.

I liked the 5 band Mesa EQ better, so I’ll leave it.

The Tube Driver is cool, but the Shred is more suited.

Now to try and mimic the Mimiq.

It could be also be set up to just use Output 2 to both cabinets. Use the split routing and pan one chain Left and the other Right at Output 2 (set to Stereo in the I/O)

Zen Master, Blackglass 7K, 3 and 4 knob Tube Drives are all capable of amp like behavior for some useful overdriven tones

Here's a setup that will route the two signal chains to L and R speakers on Output 2 and to Output 1 (with cabinet modeling) L and R FRFR or FOH monitors. Use either or both can be used at the same time. The two mixer blocks make the routing and the volume balancing straightforward. Channels A B C D can be used to set up different mix balances using scenes. Works great.

Here's a couple of screenshots. Output routing must be set to stereo, so that panning sends the signal to the different output destinations.
Both mixer blocks have the same row assignments for panning and the volume balancing. In the cab block speakers are panned to Left and Right or mixed as desired for FRFR.

Amp-and-Drive-Routing-Mixer.jpg
Amp-and-Drive-Routing-Cab.jpg

Last edited:
I can mimick a fairly decent dual amp sound by running the drive block parallel and between the amp and cab block. I did this on my axe fx 3 to see if I could downgrade to an fm3. I’m still not sure just based on DSP usage, but it definitely didn’t sound bad. Remember the drive block itself has some EQ.

Has anyone else ever done this? Did you have success?

Back
Top Bottom