Is this possible? Axe Fx with external interface.

rich2k4

Inspired
Is it possible to have both the interface and the axe fx both plugged in via USB. Have the monitor speakers connected to the interface, and then in a DAW set the Axe Fx as the input, and the interface as the output for monitoring?

Or do you have to plug the axe fx into the interface?

The reason I ask is that sometimes I will make recordings that don't use guitar at all, and I don't want to use my axe fx as an interface and have the axe fx running constantly just to get sound out of my monitors, or watching youtube and having to have the axe fx turned on just to hear sound.

Is it possible to have both the interface and the axe fx both plugged in via USB. Have the monitor speakers connected to the interface, and then in a DAW set the Axe Fx as the input, and the interface as the output for monitoring?

You can do this on a Mac, however Windows is another story. While you can have both the interface and Axe FX plugged in via USB, most DAW's won't let you use both interfaces simultaneously, thus you have to choose one or the other for inputs and monitoring. Some people claim ASIO4ALL can overcome this limitation, but my system became unstable when I tried using it. Personally, I run the Axe FX into my interface using TRS cables, which works great.

Last edited:
As Jason said, it is much easier to do if you have a Mac. And as far as I know, it's only available in Logic Pro X and Avid Pro Tools. But I can be wrong.
But be ready that this whole set up will consume some of your PC resources (CPU mostly) and may add some latency (in Logic it definitely will).

Back
Top Bottom