Is This Normal?

CudBucket

Inspired
If I have a high gain patch selected, while I've got my left hand muting all the strings on the fretboard, if I touch the strings with my right hand, I hear a momentary bit of noise/his and then I guess the gate kicks in. Happens with any high gain patch, stock or otherwise. This is while I'm going through a SS power amp and 2x12 cab. Is that normal? The guitar I'm using has Dimarzio Air Norton and Steve's Special to give you an idea of the type of pups.

Thanks.

Dave

CudBucket said:
If I have a high gain patch selected, while I've got my left hand muting all the strings on the fretboard, if I touch the strings with my right hand, I hear a momentary bit of noise/his and then I guess the gate kicks in. Happens with any high gain patch, stock or otherwise. This is while I'm going through a SS power amp and 2x12 cab. Is that normal? The guitar I'm using has Dimarzio Air Norton and Steve's Special to give you an idea of the type of pups.

Thanks.

Dave

Normal, you are actually momentarily "opening" the gate. If you have an Ultra you can add a second gate after your amp block and before any time based FX and vol pedal placement. This will tighten things up dramatically and give it that ISP Decimator ProRack G kind of goodness...even tighter I find :)

Mark

Thanks for the info. I have experienced this higher level extraneous noise also on high gain patches-some even with a basic Noisegate applied.
Dead quiet on clean patches.

Will try the second noise gate trick.

More gain causes more noises. Well known so far, anyone knows.
But I guess many people only use gain to get their tone fat and thick.
That works, but it causes noises and costs dynamics.

There is are second way to get it fat: Use an EQ (after amp) to boost the lows and low-mids (150 Hz to 600 Hz?) and reduce gain to get dynamics back and to reduce hum and noises. A slightly cut at 1 Khz (even -1db can make a a big change (increase the lost volume after it)) can also help.

Just try it!

Back
Top Bottom