Is this normal to have -41db in amp block for level?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Trying to go FRFR with my new CLR and having wonders about having to reduce my amp block level to -41db. If I don't then I clip the output #2. I use to have to run my global 1 and 2 output levels at -9db to avoid this when I used my power amp and cabinet. What am I doing wrong?

Sys file attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• Hudson .syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 10
I have Global (if you mean the Global menu button/Outputs 1 & 2 on the front of the AxeFXII) at 0 db and my amp block outputs are usually around -12Db. I have the physical output knob for 1 and 2 usually around 12 O'Clock.

I tried your preset. I don't use a volume block so I may simply not understand what is going on there but it seems to me that is a part of the problem. When I bypass that block the level drops a great deal yet eliminating the block (make it a Shunt) doesn't result in the same as bypassing it....
It seems to be adding gain even when bypassed.
I had to add a cabinet block selection since you were using a cab selection that is empty in my AxeFx so I don't know what effect that had on examining your preset...

In any case, it's because of the vol/pan block. You have assigned a controlller to both volume and level of the block - the culprit being the level parameter, which at max goes to +20dB

Yep, I deleted the Vol block, added a cab block selection, brought the Amp block up to -16Db and tweaked a few things like delay input gain and now have a really nice Van Halen preset, thanks!
If you want to keep the Vol block remove the controller from the Vol block level parameter.

Yep, I deleted the Vol block, added a cab block selection, brought the Amp block up to -16Db and tweaked a few things like delay input gain and now have a really nice Van Halen preset, thanks!
If you want to keep the Vol block remove the controller from the Vol block level parameter.
Thanks! It's a more modern type evh sound. Going for the gist of it than exact.

You all were right. Volume block was culprit. Why though? I just added exp 1 to control it and left settings stock in volume section. What do I need to do? This has been my issue for years and finally spent time and asked to resolve. Thank you!

You all were right. Volume block was culprit. Why though? I just added exp 1 to control it and left settings stock in volume section. What do I need to do? This has been my issue for years and finally spent time and asked to resolve. Thank you!

Read AlbertA's response above.

In any case, it's because of the vol/pan block. You have assigned a controlller to both volume and level of the block - the culprit being the level parameter, which at max goes to +20dB
I never assigned the volume to be the level of the amp block though. Ever. Not sure how this would happen? Divine intervention? Immaculate conception?

I never assigned the volume to be the level of the amp block though. Ever. Not sure how this would happen? Divine intervention? Immaculate conception?
He never mentioned the 'Amp' block? He said that you have a modifier connected to the 'Volume' and 'Level' parameters in the 'Vol/Pan' block. The max setting on the 'Level' parameter is set to +20dB. Remove the modifier from the 'Level' parameter and you're good.

He never mentioned the 'Amp' block? He said that you have a modifier connected to the 'Volume' and 'Level' parameters in the 'Vol/Pan' block. The max setting on the 'Level' parameter is set to +20dB. Remove the modifier from the 'Level' parameter and you're good.
Hot diggity...you were right. Crazy and not sure how some patches had both assigned. Thanks!

I do have one preset with amp level at -32dB with everything else at unity. Master volume at 10 will do that sometimes. -16 to -26 is pretty much usual. I run the output in the utility menu at just a bit over 0.

Took some getting used to not dialling with my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom