Is this normal behavior for the Axe FX II?

jiggajewjay

Inspired
Hey

for the last year or so I have been noticing that there is this buzzing noise coming from my patches. even on a slightly overdriven clean sound i am getting this buzz. it kinda sounds the way a real amp does when you get too close. Did Cliff mimic this into the amps? high gain amps squeal when i am not playing. I recently watched a video of Cooper Carter and noticed that he had the same buzz when doing a demo. so perhaps this is somewhat normal.

I went so far as to send my Axe back to Fractal and they replaced the fan unit in my Axe so the actual unit is quieter however the buzz is still there. Tech support said they didn't hear any buzz. so i am wondering are many Axe users experiencing this buzz and just chalking it up to the fact that the Axe is mimicking real life amps.

If you are NOT experiencing this do you mean to tell me that on super high gain patches everything is dead quiet when you stop playing? i know you can put a filter block or limiter to get rid of the buzz when you are not playing but the buzz is still there mixed in with the tone when i am playing. this has killed quite a few good takes with some of my artists... kinda sucks...especially when you let a power chord fade out... i know that most of you will reply back that its the electricity or lighting in my studio - and that may be, but consider that ALL my other preamps, Neve, API, LA610, Great River are ALL dead quiet. i am running the axe via AES/EBU into an RME Fireface UFX. i get the buzz when monitoring direct thru the RME and when armed in Pro Tools.

really not sure where to go from here......very frustrated.....

can you upload a preset or provide a recording that exhibits the buzz you are talking about? it's really hard to know what you're talking about otherwise.

what i've read is that you hear a buzz on your unit that you've heard in other axe videos.

with high gain amps, it's not dead quiet - it hums just like any other high gain amp would since the amp's gain is basically increasing the noise floor. but again, it's difficult to help when we don't know what you are talking about.

Chris

figured you would be one of the first to respond - thank you! I will post something up and hopefully you or someone else can shed some light on this for me and perhaps other users.

can you upload a preset or provide a recording that exhibits the buzz you are talking about? it's really hard to know what you're talking about otherwise.

what i've read is that you hear a buzz on your unit that you've heard in other axe videos.

with high gain amps, it's not dead quiet - it hums just like any other high gain amp would since the amp's gain is basically increasing the noise floor. but again, it's difficult to help when we don't know what you are talking about.

Are you running an amplified signal into those preamps. What you are picking up is probably not from the Axe-fx, but from the guitar picking up noise from the environment. If the noise gate kills the buzz then the buzz is coming from the guitar and the high gain presets are amplifying the noise.

If you post a clip of the buzz, we could tell you almost instantly. If the buzz changes as you turn your guitar, then it is almost certainly EM noise being picked up by your guitar.

I will be home in a few hours and will throw something up.... thanks Sean

Are you running an amplified signal into those preamps. What you are picking up is probably not from the Axe-fx, but from the guitar picking up noise from the environment. If the noise gate kills the buzz then the buzz is coming from the guitar and the high gain presets are amplifying the noise.

If you post a clip of the buzz, we could tell you almost instantly. If the buzz changes as you turn your guitar, then it is almost certainly EM noise being picked up by your guitar.

This was my first thought as well. I get a helluva lot of noise off my old iMac's monitor. I have to step away to record and turn perpendicular to the monitor to keep my pickups out of its field. Happens with single coils and 'buckers.

Back
Top Bottom