Is this Noise normal? / What to do against Noisy presets while sustaining notes?

Cem

Experienced

I'm going crazy! I fixed the ground problems of my room, an electrician buried a copper stick in the garden and connected it to my room directly. And I bought an Isolation Transformer to use with that outlet. NOTHING CHANGED!

I'm adding a recording of the noise I was talking about. Input threshold is OFF.

Suhr modern neck pickup. Stereo XLR outputs into Apollo Twin.

-----------------------

I am having trouble with some of my presets, especially one with Layout as this,

Drive: Blues OD, Drive 6.7, Tone 3.9, Level 4.6, Mix %100.
Amp: Suhr Badger 30 Gain 4, input trim 1, Bass 3, Mid 6, Treb 6 Bright On, Mv 8, Level -23
Cab: Stereo UR, F30, F26.

It starts humming right after a note starts sustaining.

I changed to XLRs, nothing changed.

Since it's while the note is singing, noise gate isn't working.

Guitar is Suhr Modern, Humbucker.

The ground in the room is okay.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
if you turn off the Input Noise gate (reduce threshold to fully counter-clockwise, ratio to 1.00), then mute your strings but have your guitar volume full up, do you hear the same type of noise?

if so, that's the noise floor and you need to solve that. still could be electrical, could be wiring in the guitar, etc. nothing can take away just noise, if it's as loud as the guitar signal you want.

if you turn off the Input Noise gate (reduce threshold to fully counter-clockwise, ratio to 1.00), then mute your strings but have your guitar volume full up, do you hear the same type of noise?

if so, that's the noise floor and you need to solve that. still could be electrical, could be wiring in the guitar, etc. nothing can take away just noise, if it's as loud as the guitar signal you want.

Yes I hear the exact same noise, wow! I just swapped to a Humbucker PRS it's the same. And I am sure of my guitars' wirings. I checked with other presets as well, when the Input Noise gate is Off, even the clean one hums like it's a strat. (Clean doesn't hum as loud as the one i wrote about above)

It should be dead silent if everything is right electrically, right?

Do you have any lights, neon or dimmer or computer screen near the guitar? Try to turn everything except the Axe and monitors off, and listen if it gets better.

Do you have any lights, neon or dimmer or computer screen near the guitar? Try to turn everything except the Axe and monitors off, and listen if it gets better.

Just tried, it's the same. Even shut down the monitors and used the monitor output of Apollo Twin, It's the same. Plugged off Macbook and External monitor. Turned off the Air Conditioner, nothing else is working, still the same.

I am having trouble with some of my presets, especially one with Layout as this,

Amp: Suhr Badger 30 Gain 4, input trim 1, Bass 3, Mid 6, Treb 6 Bright On, Mv 8, Level -23

It starts humming right after a note starts sustaining.

I changed to XLRs, nothing changed.

Since it's while the note is singing, noise gate isn't working.

Guitar is Suhr Modern, Humbucker.

The ground in the room is okay.

Any thoughts?

Could you upload your preset?
-
Austin

Are you plugging into the front AFX guitar input? Is there anything else connected to the AFX? If so try disconnecting everything and listen through the AFX headphones output and see if the hum is still there..

Made your preset as posted and I get a little hum only if I'm facing my computer monitor. Otherwise, it's pretty quiet (normal amount of amp noise) when I turn level up (-15) and play with humbuckers. Must be some interference in your room.

I'd make sure your input is set to front only, not summing with the rear inputs. If that doesn't work, I'd try the rear input as a comparison.

Made your preset as posted and I get a little hum only if I'm facing my computer monitor. Otherwise, it's pretty quiet (normal amount of amp noise) when I turn level up (-15) and play with humbuckers. Must be some interference in your room.
How to get rid of that interference in my room? :( I even tried when no other electrical device is working in the whole house, only the fridge was working rooms away.

I'm going crazy! I fixed the ground problems of my room, an electrician buried a copper stick in the garden and connected it to my room directly. And I bought an Isolation Transformer to use with that outlet. NOTHING CHANGED!

I'm adding a recording of the noise I was talking about. Input threshold is OFF.

Suhr modern neck pickup. Stereo XLR outputs into Apollo Twin.

Preset:

Is this noise "normal"? I don't think so! What are you guys thinking?

Attachments

• noise_check_Suhr.zip
    958.1 KB · Views: 18
Have you moved the Axe to another outlet in another room?

And lastly, try it in another house. It almost definitely is basic electrical interference (nothing to worry about, just something to pinpoint and correct)

Have you moved the Axe to another outlet in another room?

And lastly, try it in another house. It almost definitely is basic electrical interference (nothing to worry about, just something to pinpoint and correct)

I tried it everywhere in the house and also 3 of my friends' houses (But i don't know if their place is well wired either, so that wasn't a good control group)

OP edited, with sound files and latest situation.
Try lifting the ground on the Axe with a power cord cheater. Next, lift just the amp. Then try lifting the ground on both the Axe and your amp with 2 cheaters.

Try lifting the ground on the Axe with a power cord cheater. Next, lift just the amp. Then try lifting the ground on both the Axe and your amp with 2 cheaters.
You mean duck tapeing the ground on the power cord? If so, I tried that, didn't change anything.

Be carefull, disconecting the ground is very dangerous. And the buzz doesn't sound (to me) like a ground loop hum. Try again to switch off every circuit in the house except the one you plug the axe. Unplug everything else electricaly connected on this circuit, even if it's switch off. Listen to your guitar through headphones with nothing else connected to the axe (monitors, audio card ...). Also do you leave in a house or appartment ? it could also be emi interference coming from outside ...
If you still have noise with different guitars and cable with this simplest setup, il may be the axe. Do you have the opportunity to try the same config in a studio, they are supposed to be "clean ".

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly: Have you tried to connect both units with mono TRS cables or have you only tried the XLR connections?

While playing, have you tried changing your sitting position or the angle of your guitar? Maybe your pickups are picking up the noise from a certain direction in the room.

Just a quick reminder: When using the Twin with the TRS alternative, don't forget to change the Mic to Line input.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly: Have you tried to connect both units with mono TRS cables or have you only tried the XLR connections?

While playing, have you tried changing your sitting position or the angle of your guitar? Maybe your pickups are picking up the noise from a certain direction in the room.

Just a quick reminder: When using the Twin with the TRS alternative, don't forget to change the Mic to Line input.

There is no such thing as a mono TRS cable as far as I know. And yes I tried with unbalanced TS cables, the noise is there.

I tried changing my position, nothing changes. Only if I go to another room while playing (since it's a long cable and I can), it increases.

Twin channels are set to Line.

Back
Top Bottom