Is this a real 75 Les Paul?

warlockII

Fractal Fanatic
Guys and Gals,
I know squat about how to tell if a Les Paul is authentic. I'm going to post some pics here and hopefully some experts will be able to chime in. This 1975 supposedly was originally a Deluxe with p 90's that was converted to full size humbuckers.
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Les paul serial number.jpg
    Les paul serial number.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 45
  • les paul front.jpg
    les paul front.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Les paul neck joint.jpg
    Les paul neck joint.jpg
    985 bytes · Views: 190
  • Les paul rear.jpg
    Les paul rear.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 58
Norlin years were known for being kinda' wacky, but there are a few flags on that guitar IMO.
(1) That's the first LP I've seen with the model name printed on the rear of the headstock, and I haven't seen many (any?) with that font.
(2) I thought the Khaler thing was more of an 80's feature?
(3) cutaway looks too deep, but could just be the pic/angle.
(4) same thing with the neck joint.
(5) 40yo guitar, I get it, but those cavity covers look REALLY (and suspiciously evenly) worn.

Look in the control cavity and under the pickups for tell tale signs. Also check along the sides of the guitar that it's actually a one piece body and not a couple veneers on plywood.

It's definitely been modded with that Kahler and sculpted neck joint. Not sure what that does to the value, but Kahlers are kind of a love/hate thing to many folks. What are they asking for it?

Those kahler's where in the mid seventy's or so( ok 81 ,35 years ago i did it I'm old :D) ,I put one on my les Paul about that time,pickups volume pots ,caps I'd check,can also ck the head stock logo,is the finish checking ,cracks in the finish.So hard to tell these day.if your paying serious money I'd have it authenticated,doesn't look like a mahogany body.does look like one piece

Last edited:
The headstock (front) is also a good way to tell. Scammers seem to always mess up the logo. I mean it's only 6 letters. Check that, I remember one way back where letters were a 1/2" too low.

Took a good eye to catch it, among other things. wasn't my eye.

will need more pictures. Wouldn't mind pictures of the headstock and the interior routing.
Gibson did print the serial number during the 70's
I looked up that serial number, it seems legit.

Ok, had to do a bit of digging...

but it looks like it may be legit, albeit with mods.

UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - Les Paul Standard, but DELUXE on the back of headstock!
1975 1976 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Cherry Sunburst - Guitar museum
1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Serial Number - MyLesPaul.com

Keep in mind, just because it looks old, has a "right" serial number, and has some relatively popular mods done to that model at the time, does not necessarily mean it's genuine. That said, Norlins aren't really popular targets for counterfeiters... because, I mean, why bother? All the same, I'd strongly suggest taking it in to someone you feel is qualified to give you a definitive answer so they can inspect it in person.

Thanks for all the replies! What am I looking for in the pickup and control cavities? The guitar has been for sale for a few months now. Started at $1,500 and is now at $1000.

Thanks for all the replies! What am I looking for in the pickup and control cavities? The guitar has been for sale for a few months now. Started at $1,500 and is now at $1000.

Gibson Guitar Music News: How to Spot a Fake, Gibson Leads Industry Fight Against Counterfeit Goods

How to spot a fake LP

Mr Glyn's guitar repair: Spotting a Fake Les Paul

EDIT: Obviously, if this one is a legit Deluxe, then the pup cavities are going to have additional after-market routing, so cleanliness of the route job may not be a factor here. One thing you can ascertain, assuming it's genuine, is the competency of the person who did the routing - did he make sure the neck poles would align directly under where a 24th fret would be? If so, you may see additional routing (that is, seems like more routing than necessary) that's actually the combination of the original routing for the P90's threads and the new routing to mount standard sized HBs. If you see that, odds are it is legitimate and the tech that did the work knew what he was doing.

...but we're still talking about Norlin era, so all bets are off. Some great guitars came out of the Norlin era, I'm not saying they're all bad of even that they have a high percentage/probability of being "bad," but rather that measurements were inconsistent at the time (i.e., you may have two identical models with different neck profiles).

Last edited:
It's real- but not worth anything...
is it worth $1000? maybe/probably
but if you don't want it in a few days- It would be difficult to get another person to pay $1000

it bluebooks between 825-900 and that's in GOOD condition
I would say those mods/etc- would make it less than good- perhaps 600-800

although p90s were available between 1969-1971- i'd still say- even though the earlier ones go for a preimum 1000-1600-

date it from the pot codes- 2 digits after the 137.

either way you're safe at 500-700 i wouldn't buy it for 1000
(i also probably wouldn't buy it for $500- but i'm cheap- and like saying no)

Thanks again guys! Sixstring that's been my thought throughout this as well. Jeries...I didn't realize they booked so low. I've never been a Les Paul guy so I've only seen the asking prices through the years that freak me out...weird how some years, etc. are worth buku bucks and others "worthless".
Thanks again for the links and ideas they were VERY helpful!

Take a pic of the side of the guitar.....is it a pancake body? If so, it's likely real.
I have owned a few Deluxes from that year, and they're all pancake body.

And yes, the back of the headstock does say Deluxe (on a real one).

Sounds like a pretty good clue right there that its not.

I don't think price is unreasonable based on the mods.
I have a 75 Deluxe that was a gold top, and sanded have a natural top. I bought it for $1200.
I also bought a 75 Deluxe Cherry Burst, modded to have full size humbuckers and a switch installed for phase reverse....$650 on Craigslist (granted, that one was a gift and a half).

Back
Top Bottom