Is there much difference between Redwirez and Recabinet?

guittarzzan

Inspired
I haven't done a ton with the importing of ir's etc, but am curious why there's a lot of talk about Redwirez and not much about Recabinet. For those of you who've tried both, do you feel one does a better job at getting a real cab sound and feel? Are they both pretty much the same, but just different flavors...or what?

thanks,
Steve

They're made a bit differently. The main difference seems to be that Recabinet uses 6L6 and EL34 tube power amps, and the Red Wire cabs use a pretty flat and transparent solid state power amp. The result is that Recabinet has a bit more power amp coloration, and the Red Wire cabs have a cleaner and more untouched cab sound, which (at least in theory) works better for the Axe-FX since it already has good power amp modeling. The Recabinet cabs seem to have a bigger low end, as well (I haven't really done any A/B testing, but I just seem to remember the Recabinet impulses having a big low end). I have both products, and they're both great.

I'd say the difference is huge. Recabinet is very dark almost like it has a blanket over the cab, might be due to tube power amp used in the chain. Redwires sound more authentic to the cab,mic and distance of mic chosen. No phasing issues when mixing the Redwires either, even when mixed with the stock cabs.

I'm sure Recabinet works well for some here or with other modelers but I just found them to be too dark to use, IMHO.

I bought and own both collections in full. I use Red Wire almost exclusively. Works better for me and for my purposes.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The reason I posted this was because I have Recabinet and although I've only spent a little time trying different ir's with the Axefx, I honestly felt like they weren't any better than most of the stock cabs. Most of the ones I checked out didn't sound as good to my ears as the stock cabs, but there were a couple that I liked.
I keep reading all this stuff about redwirez etc and wanted to get a feel for the difference between the two cab ir collections. I didn't want to spend more money on just more of the same, but RW sounds like a better-suited product for the Axefx due to the methodology/gear used in capturing the ir's.

thanks guys,
steve

Steve,

You won't regret purchasing them. IIRQ, you can get a refund if your not satisfied after a certain time period.

Clarity for Redwire.
Recabinets are not better than a lot of free IRs that you can find on the net.

i have some redwirez irs (mesa and marshall 4x12s) but never liked them better than the stock irs. they have less oomph and sound pretty "calm" and often muffled. no good for metal.

Back
Top Bottom