Is there any software available to eq IRs?

666was999

Fractal Fanatic
Hi there,

I searched the net for any software that allows one to make some corrections on existing IRs including eq-ing.
That would be a great tool, I could taylor the eq to my needs. Is there something alike out there?
I couldn't find it, some allow to nomalize and whatever but not eq-ing.

The Fruity Loop Convoler has an eq function, but I couldn't understand what it actually is for, there is no eq curve of the existing IR displayed anywhere, so I guess it's not what I'm looking for.

Any other software out there with such functions?

Last week I quickly tried the following with some success, I haven't had time since to do more testing. My goal is to mix and eq IRs while monitoring the mix.

If you have Voxengo's Deconvolver or Axe-O-Matic DSP you can use a DAW to create a new IR that is EQ'd or mix multiple eq'd IR's.

EQ single IR:
Run the Axe, without cab block, into your DAW. Record a clip of the Axe without cab. On this track use a convolution plugging to load your IR, then an EQ plugin. Run/loop your clip and do your eq'ing, when your happy replace the Axe clip with a sine sweep clip from Deconvolver or AxeOMatic, render the track to a wav file. Now deconvolve your new wav against the sine sweep wav using Deconvolver or AxeOMatic DSP. AxeOMatic (free or DSP) can convert the resulting wav IR to an Axe IR.

Mix and EQ Multiple IRs:
If you want to mix multiple IRs and EQ that mix then you can send the Axe track to multiple bus tracks (don't send the Axe track to the DAW output), each bus track running an IR in a convolution plugin (and an EQ on each bus if you want), then send each IR bus to another bus with an EQ plugin to EQ your IR mix. Run/loop your Axe clip, mix and EQ your IRs, then replace the Axe clip with the sine sweep clip, render and deconvolve.

Last edited:
Oh, that's crazy stuff. Complicated. Thank you for showing me how else I could get my IRs.
For now I don't plan to do something that way. I hope to find a software to avoid sending signals at all.

You could run output 2 of the axe into your DAW. Run the output of your audio interface to input 2. Load an IR loader up in your DAW something like mixir or lecab2. Open the ir that you want to eq. Add an eq next in the signal chain. You should then be able to capture the IR right into the axe using the method in then user guide.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You mean I could use the IR capture feature of the axe-fx? I guess that could work for me. I should give it a try. There are some things that I'd need to try then, I need to check the phase, the volume and the lenght of the IR then, since that process would create a new IR instead of manipulating an existing one.
Thank you!

You mean I could use the IR capture feature of the axe-fx? I guess that could work for me. I should give it a try. There are some things that I'd need to try then, I need to check the phase, the volume and the lenght of the IR then, since that process would create a new IR instead of manipulating an existing one.
Thank you!

By using the AxeFx's IR capture, you get some good processing in regards to the result being phase compatible with the other FAS IR's too.

This may not be helpful but you could do it in the axe-fx itself using the tone-matching block I think.

I *think* you could setup a cab block with an EQ after (or before... or both) and then use tone matching to make a new IR like that.

This may not be helpful but you could do it in the axe-fx itself using the tone-matching block I think.

I *think* you could setup a cab block with an EQ after (or before... or both) and then use tone matching to make a new IR like that.

OK, I tried the TMA as well. That was one of my first considerations. Still I don't know if a TMA (saved and exported as a user IR) contains all information that a usual IR contains.

My own tries were not satisfying. I captured a user cab with a tonematch and exported it as a user IR. That way I could compare the original and the copy. I took a template with a synth block as sound source for that.

In the pic you can see what I got. The orig and the copy are similar but the copy is lacking details somehow, the corners are rounded.
They are not the same, not in the magnitude window (pic) and not in the IR-plot window (made no pic).
The TMA block has been HiRes all the time and I tried sine sweeps, triangle sweeps and pink noise, short and long measures and whatever with no luck.

Maybe I just haven't found the right trick jet, maybe the TMA isn't thought for that job at all.
Cliff recommended to capture IRs of ones cab first and use the TMA additional for the eq-ing of the amp AFAIK, I guess because the IR capture is more accurate?

Attachments

• Comparation Orig vs synth TMA .jpg
    Comparation Orig vs synth TMA .jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 15
Ok, found a simple way to manipulate IRs. It is that simple, I feel like an idiot not having seen the obvisious way before.

I just took a usual sound editor software that I have on my PC (Nero Wave Editor (great tool included in the nero burning rom suite for free)) and EQd the IR.wav file.
I even used the compressor on it. Even that seems to work. To make it visible for everyone have a look at the pic (Sorry to Clark Kent for abusing your IR for that).

Attachments

• Clarks EQd IR.jpg
    Clarks EQd IR.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Ok, found a simple way to manipulate IRs. It is that simple, I feel like an idiot not having seen the obvisious way before.

I just took a usual sound editor software that I have on my PC (Nero Wave Editor (great tool included in the nero burning rom suite for free)) and EQd the IR.wav file.
I even used the compressor on it. Even that seems to work. To make it visible for everyone have a look at the pic (Sorry to Clark Kent for abusing your IR for that).
Well, i thought doing that but wasnt sure it would work, is it really reliable ? (can a theorical signal-guru like Cliff state something on this ?)

You can EQ an IR WAV file directly in a DAW and it will have the expected result.

However, compressing an IR ... while it does change how the IR sounds
... no, it won't magically turn the cab block into a compressor :D

You can EQ an IR WAV file directly in a DAW and it will have the expected result.

However, compressing an IR ... while it does change how the IR sounds
... no, it won't magically turn the cab block into a compressor :D

Yes, of course it will not add a compressor. It changes the ADSR footprint since it makes the release part louder...for a while depending on the compressors release setting.

New idea: I could put reverb on an IR and look what happens :)

I can recommend Albert A's IR converter tool to make changes visible. Links to it are somewhere here in the froum.
That way you can see if there's anything flawed instead of listening.

Edit: One important thing I forgot to say, never click on batch processing just to try it out. It's a dangerous button, when you don't know what it's for. It could flaw all files in the actual folder, make them useless.

Last edited:
IR can not change dynamics at least for longer than the ms amount of the impulse and I don't think that's something you want to do in the first place.

EQ your IRs in your DAW and use Voxengo Deconvolver to turn them into more accurate IRs. Seems like the tone matching is rounding the IRs way too much.

Back
Top Bottom