Is there any point in buying a traditional amp after owning a II.

I have one tube amp left...haven't turned it on in over a year. Recently I was re-arranging my sound cave and was bitchin' about having to move it around.

Don't miss the tube amps at all.

Axe II->Carvin 1504->CLR....done.

I'd maybe consider a decent small combo for messing about with, pick up and go stuff ..... but then again I'd probably 'need' a few stomps in front and a delay in the loop or I'd think I was missing out.

I think for now the Axe will do!!

I've kept my Peavey 6505 head/Mesa Recto cab just for a backup. I think I've only played it once or twice since I've had the Axe and that's been a year!

The problem for me is that modellers including this one never quite get there in terms of live tone through a cab. It's extremely damn close but not quite as punchy or clear as a valve amp in my experience and I also have a slight paranoia of digital amplifier gain :D

However, it's 90% there, and that is something you'd be mad not to trade off with unless you've got someone lugging your gear around for you, not to mention maintaining it. Audiences are highly unlikely to tell the difference if us guitarists can barely tell the difference. Also, how else would I get my 5150 to morph into a 65 fender bassman!

Last edited:
i still want a Mark V, Friedman BE-100, Friedman SS-100, Marshall 410JS, PRS DG Custom 50watt 4xEL-34's 2 rectifiers. if i could afford them.
I am certin the AxeFx2 has all these amps in it expet for the DG Custom. its in there somewhere. too. its just an adiction

Ok- I guess there is a reason to hook up a Mark V...because it is just too good to pass up! Axe II- ridiculous. Mark V- monster...I guess that will make my rig a ridiculous monster....I got 99 problems, but tone isn't one of them.....thanks for the comments!!

Depends on the height of the cabinet. If it's the right height it would make a good stool or end table. Otherwise.... nah.

Every gear head needs a minimum of one kick ass tube amp, Axe Fx or not. I love my Axe Fx, but there are days when I see some old school rock footage (Free, Black Sabbath, ACDC...) that I just want to plug my SG into my Marshall and crank it up. I plan on keeping it that way, variety is the spice of life. :)

as mentioned earlier, it really boils down to preference. but since the op asked :) , i run my ultra with a mesa 2:100 through a pair of cabs sims off and a direct signal with sims to a mixer. this has caused me to abandon my triaxis/2:90 rig, which will probably be sold or traded towards another axefx II.

Last edited:
I have a MkV head and an oversized Boogie 4x12...haven't plugged it in once since I got my Axe 2, 1-1/2 yrs ago.....want to do some tone matches on it though. Don't think I could ever sell it.

You know, they are two different things. I had a chance to play and listen to someone play through my two modded vintage PA heads (a Bogen J330 Bassman and a McGohan M204 Plexi) this afternoon, and it was a blast. Different than playing through the Axe, and a nice change. It really was a lot of fun, because it's been a while. Still, the Axe does everything I need, and sounds great. I'm going with just the Axe for a while, but I've not given up on tube amps. Maybe when the kids are older...? lol

no need anymore here ^^ sold my marshall and my engl is gonna be sold the next month.

after doing the test axe II only amp into real cab vs amp into the exact same cab, side by side with my old marshall jcm800, engl powerball and a mesa dual rectifier i just dont need real amps anymore .. for the powerball the sounded the same at "normal" volumes. for the mesa it got too loud for basemant work (but even then the axe sounded the same after some minor tweaking amp eq and gain) and even louder for the jcm to reach sweet spot .. with my axe i can have the sweet spot of hundred amps all at normal levels .. even at night playing through a good pair of headphones.

after paying inear for some while now i just cant imagine going back to tube and cab, lifting my ass off instead of placing my little 4HE rack on stage, plug it in and insta have my perfect sound ^^

only thing is that i have a very little fear of axe II failing in a live situation .. but before getting a backup amp i rather get me another axe II for the same or lower price :D

i do regularly use my tube amps. i suppose, to me, it's somewhat like having a classic car. you don't use it every day, but it's still got certain charms...

It does go beyond that not quite sure what it is but there is just something about having a box behind you that has lights glowing in and around it and making a sound that effects you in such a way that compels you to create a sound that ether puts a smile on your face or strikes an emption deep with in you .

I could never relate to it like that. To me, an amp is just a box with some electronics in it. It's always been me, the guitar and the sound.

If guitar amp modelling is ever completely deserted in the future for some absurd social/political reason, I'll get a custom one built to sound just like my Axe II ;) just to please the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom