Is there any legit reasons why only playing in one key on every song is a bad idea?

There is no harmonic minor key per se, as Key usually refers to the tonic i.e it dosent describe anything else, however you could debate that, as we usually say, in the key of C <add scale description here>

There is a harmonic minor scale though ;)

1. Ionian .......... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2. Dorian .......... 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
3. Phrygian ........ 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
4. Lydian .......... 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
5. Mixolydian ...... 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
6. Aeolian ......... 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
7. Locrian ......... 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

6. Harmonic minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7 8

Harmonic minor actually differs from Aeolian by the 7th and Phrygian by the 2nd and the 7th

However im sure we are all aware of this

"It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why."

There is no harmonic minor key per se, as Key usually refers to the tonic i.e it dosent describe anything else, however you could debate that, as we usually say, in the key of C <add scale description here>

Oh! OK. You're right. No harmonic minor KEY. Yes.

Dude why would I change my name? Imposter? Only a fool would think someone was the real yngwie just because of a screenname. Besides as if yngwie would ever take part in a online forum. If he was the guy kinda guy that gets involved with fans etc like that he would have spoken on some of the marshall forums by now since thats what he always has endorsed. Many people choose screennames based on what they like, whats important to them. I choose yngwie malmsteen because hes more important than jesus christ. Yngwie is a living god and I worship him. Literally. So I chose yngwie. Plus I love his attitude and personality. So imposter is wrong choice of words, ive never claimed to be yngwie. But hey, whatevs.

YjM
Tbh, I don't give a fuck about your reasons. We have had quite a bunch of real pros posting in these forums. It's disrespectful to everyone. And it doesn't help that you even signature your posts with "YJM".

And besides: considering your former announcement that "Yngwie and Cliff will soon get to know the true Romeo Rose", I can only say that you are venturing into dangerous territory with this. How about you behave like a sentient being just once in your life and try not to be a special snowflake for a change? Just fucking MAN UP! And go see a psychologist when you're at it. Your obsession is not within healthy levels.

PS: I apologize to the community for this outburst.

Last edited:
Huh? There most definitely IS a harmonic minor scale. And a melodic minor scale. They're different from the phryigian or aeolian modes due to the 5th, which like all real scales is dominant, so it has a major 3rd instead of the minor third in those modes.

There is a harmonic minor scale, and a melodic in the classical sense and a melodic in the jazz sense. What I wrote was that there is no harmonic minor key. People use the terms interchangeably and they don't mean the same thing.

Last edited:

1. Ionian .......... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2. Dorian .......... 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
3. Phrygian ........ 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
4. Lydian .......... 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
5. Mixolydian ...... 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
6. Aeolian ......... 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
7. Locrian ......... 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

6. Harmonic minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7 8

Harmonic minor actually differs from Aeolian by the 7th and Phrygian by the 2nd and the 7th

However im sure we are all aware of this

And it's also extremely cool to look at the flavours all these scales and modes give you. For instance the leading tone in harmonic minor gives a very arabic feel. Dorian mode is slightly happier, and add the two together and you get jazz melodic minor which is only sounds non-major when you hit the third. It's interesting to bear these in mind when writing melodies as you can drift between tonalities at the drop of a hat over a static minor chord. Bach was a DUDE with all of this. His Boureé in E minor uses these elements (using the melodic minor in the classical sense though - melodic ascending, natural descending) in the first three bars alone..... I have an erection. ;)

Yes, I am that sad.... ;)

And it's also extremely cool to look at the flavours all these scales and modes give you. For instance the leading tone in harmonic minor gives a very arabic feel. Dorian mode is slightly happier, and add the two together and you get jazz melodic minor which is only sounds non-major when you hit the third. It's interesting to bear these in mind when writing melodies as you can drift between tonalities at the drop of a hat over a static minor chord. Bach was a DUDE with all of this. His Boureé in E minor uses these elements (using the melodic minor in the classical sense though - melodic ascending, natural descending) in the first three bars alone..... I have an erection. ;)

Yes, I am that sad.... ;)
Also, it's sometimes fun to analyze music for the theory behind it, especially when searching in places you'd never expect to be so sophisticated. Like Rammstein.

"Sonne" for example switches between phrygian (sad, dark) and lydian (happy) mode in the chorus in exactly the opposite direction to what is implied by the song lyrics. It's one of my favorite examples for modes, as it's so simple constructed, yet so effective.

Why should one need to change keys to change colors as you put it though????

Couldn't you change colors by just using the seven different modes while staying in the same key???

No. This has already been responded to multiple times. Diff keys evoke diff emotional responses. If you can't feel that, perhaps you lack the necessary musical sensibilities. "Why not just play everything in Em" yeah I could see a robot asking that question, but not a human.

Cliff, this guy's way more badly in need of a firmware upgrade than the Axe-FX.

I definitely agree to a point, but there is still truth to it, and it probably more applicable to classical guitar music. Outside of the piano and a few other instruments, most instruments do alter pitches slightly depending on the key, harmony, direction of melody, etc.

I definitely agree to a point, but there is still truth to it, and it probably more applicable to classical guitar music. Outside of the piano and a few other instruments, most instruments do alter pitches slightly depending on the key, harmony, direction of melody, etc.

yeah agreed. I have a friend who has played violin and cello in serious orchestras and she was telling me how the strings will use the true temprament on certain notes when they can. must be a mind F... to think about . give me frets anytime

Back
Top Bottom