Is there an easy way get the tones needed for “With or Without You” (U2)

Here it is for II as a bundle on Ares 2.0, it should be able to convert to III with fractool. To make this work you need 2 expression pedals. EXP1 at each note for the Ebow (a deviation from the Yek patch) in scene 1, and the other one for adding the shimmer effect. I haven't used this patch for years now as these songs got played to death by radiostations (RTL2 in France...) over here. It got quite forbidden, like playing Sweet Home Alabama or Highway to Hell in a music store...Compared to the version on axechange I notably changed the amp to a AC30TB. It was made for use with humbuckers so maybe push a bit input trim, close to 2 if you use a single coil guitar; depends on the PU you use.

Attachments

• LL With or without U2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for answer
Thibault is also french so we can discuss .... there s the patch for 8 U2 songs in his pack but I don t know if it s the one you re referring to

The With or Without You chain in U2’s last few tours is the following:
Custom strat with built in Fernandes sustainer > af2 2290 mod delay sim (iirc 405ms, about 5 repeats, mod speed around 2.5khz, depth around 50-55, wet/dry mix 45%) > vox1 (ac30tb) and fender1 (tweed deluxe edge signature with blue alnico speaker). Fractal Shimmer on a parallel path (shifted plexi + reverb) mixed in and out via exp pedal.
Btw, I will publish the Joshua tree 2019 pack for af3 in mid January.

Is everyone using the "legacy" cabs for Edge's AC30 style cabs? Are any of the "factory" cabs alnico blues?

There is no way to get the WOWY sound of Edge, except to be Edge himself and own his stuff and guitars. The best thing you can do is get a few WOWY patches on the axechange and adapt them progressively until the sound is good enough to your ears. If I may recommend you one thing : don't be afraid to push a bit your strings, guess Edo can express much much better about that.

Is everyone using the "legacy" cabs for Edge's AC30 style cabs? Are any of the "factory" cabs alnico blues?

If you're after the recent tone, I suggest to try the class-a NTB 58b (F1 - 899). If you're after older tones (pre vertigo tour), try class-a 57a (F1 - 893 & 835).

There is no way to get the WOWY sound of Edge, except to be Edge himself and own his stuff and guitars. The best thing you can do is get a few WOWY patches on the axechange and adapt them progressively until the sound is good enough to your ears. If I may recommend you one thing : don't be afraid to push a bit your strings, guess Edo can express much much better about that.

It's not so much about pushing the strings, I'm taking for granted you both know that 80% of edge's tone is in the pick he uses, right?
Anyways, this is a tutorial I made a while ago using my preset, based on the chain I suggested a few posts above.

I saw that edo guy...very good but not for 3....Any idea how to get close to that fairly easily?

btw I did release a couple packs for AF3, and since coronavirus forces us to stay home (at least in Italy), I'll probably release a few more packs in the next couple weeks..

Hi Edo - any timing estimates on the Ares 2.0 pack updates for the AFX2 please?

cheers Gilesy

I just released the Extras Vol.1 update. Tomorrow I'll release Extras Vol.2 and hopefully this week everything else (as long as my daughter lets me finish!)

I just released the Extras Vol.1 update. Tomorrow I'll release Extras Vol.2 and hopefully this week everything else (as long as my daughter lets me finish!)

How do we claim our updates? Just email you with our order number?

Back
Top Bottom