Is there a way to protect Factory Presets such that hitting "Save" forces a prompt to "Save As" into a different (empty) location?

Tritium3H

I guess the subject line says it all. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? What I was hoping for is the following behavior:

If a factory preset has been edited, and I hit the "Save" button, a window opens asking do I want to overwrite the factory preset, OR "Save As" to a new location.

There's not, but factory presets just happen to occupy the first 3 banks by default.

The hardware doesn't know a factory preset from any other preset...

There's not, but factory presets just happen to occupy the first 3 banks by default.

The hardware doesn't know a factory preset from any other preset...

Yeah, it think it is the issue of the big glowing "Save" button on FM9-Edit. It is so easy to unintentionally, or mistakenly click on that. I guess I will have to remember to always go to the menu Preset ---> Save As new Preset.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas or creative work-arounds.

Last edited:
Yeah, it think it is the issue of the big glowing "Save" button on FM9-Edit. It is so easy to unintentionally, or mistakenly click on that. I guess I will have to remember to always go to the menu Preset ---> Save As new Preset.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas or creative work-arounds.
You could edit from the front panel ;)

It has a 2-step dialog.

save away! you can always reload the default presets

I know, and fair point. But I am hoping the Fractal team considers modifying the behavior of the SAVE function on FM9-Edit, when a preset has been edited, to act as a double-check -- along the lines of two step process.
Example: When you hit "Save", you get a text box saying something like "Alert -- Are you sure you want to save/overwrite the current preset". You are then given option to Save, or Save As into a new preset location.

I almost always force myself to hit save on the physical hardware and roll the knob to the new location.
It's too easy to overwrite something with hours of work invested.

I know, and fair point. But I am hoping the Fractal team considers modifying the behavior of the SAVE function on FM9-Edit, when a preset has been edited, to act as a double-check -- along the lines of two step process.
Example: When you hit "Save", you get a text box saying something like "Alert -- Are you sure you want to save/overwrite the current preset". You are then given option to Save, or Save As into a new preset location.
This is possible, both in Edit and on the FM9. On the FM9, the setting is found in the Global settings, Prompt on Edited Preset Change. The setting in Edit is in the Preferences menu. On the device, you should have the option to change the location the preset is saved to. In Edit, it doesn't have an option to save to another location, but it's simple enough to right click on "Save" and select a new location.

This is possible, both in Edit and on the FM9. On the FM9, the setting is found in the Global settings, Prompt on Edited Preset Change. The setting in Edit is in the Preferences menu. On the device, you should have the option to change the location the preset is saved to. In Edit, it doesn't have an option to save to another location, but it's simple enough to right click on "Save" and select a new location.

Thank you, JoKer III. I already have the "Prompt on Edited Preset Change" selected in the Global settings. This is certainly helpful, in that it prevents one from accidentally switching to another preset (assuming you have made edits) without first saving.

However, it doesn't solve the big glowing "Save" button. I hadn't realized that there was a "right click" on the Save button functionality. Still, I think the FM-Edit team might consider changing the Save function into a 2-step process, with an alert. If this becomes too bothersome for some, I am imagining they might implement a setting in the Global preferences in which this notional 2-step Save could be disabled.

Maybe just download all the factory presets into banks DEF, then only work with those?
Or, make it a habit to save the preset to a new location before you start messing with it.
This is really just another example of computers "enabling" us.

#breakthehabit
FM9 only has A, B, C, D ;)

Last edited:
This. Always save to a new location before working on anything. Just make it a habit and problem solved :)
Leading to the second order problem, 27 saved versions of the same preset, with not enough labeling to know what's what, and no quick simple way to diff them.

Thank you, all. I very much appreciate the helpful suggestions. I particularly like the idea of getting in the habit of first saving a preset to a new, empty user location, and perhaps appending the preset name with a date or even something as simple as an incremental number in parentheses.
For example:
59 Bassman (1)
59 Bassman (2)
etc.,

However, I still feel that this feature might be accomplished with a relatively minor modification to the FM-Edit code. But of course, I realize that it might only appear a “minor” thing to an outsider, such as myself. If the Fractal team feels it a worthy feature request, perhaps they will consider it.

Thank you, all. I very much appreciate the helpful suggestions. I particularly like the idea of getting in the habit of first saving a preset to a new, empty user location, and perhaps appending the preset name with a date or even something as simple as an incremental number in parentheses.
For example:
59 Bassman (1)
59 Bassman (2)
etc.,

However, I still feel that this feature might be accomplished with a relatively minor modification to the FM-Edit code. But of course, I realize that it might only appear a “minor” thing to an outsider, such as myself. If the Fractal team feels it a worthy feature request, perhaps they will consider it.
Don’t do that, learn to use the Snapshot tool in the editor, it’s made for this. It’s the camera icon.

Just before you begin editing click the camera. Every time you reach what you think is a reasonable improvement click it again. If you don’t like a particular change you can click the reveal triangle below the camera icon and select a previously saved version and it’ll revert to that version. You can jump forward and back to compare versions. When you are happy with the changes THEN click Save. If you want to save intermediate changes, perhaps as a template or for further improvements later, you can drag an incremental change from that directory and save it somewhere else, then import it as a separate preset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom