Is there a way to import a preset made in FM3 into AX8?

strings4v

I made a preset with FM3 (all stock stuff that are available in AX8, I think. I also used 2 cab models and blending which I think is not on the AX8 though?)
and I'm wondering if there is a step to take to make it loadable in AX8 as well.
I printed an .syx file but a friend told me that he couldn't put it on his AX8 due to "a compatibility issue with the firmware"

FracTool would be the go to tool for preset conversions, but looks like you can't go from FM3 to AX8.

" FracTool can convert Axe-Fx III/II/XL/XL+ presets and AX8 and FX8 presets, to make them load in the FM3. Backwards conversion is not supported. "

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=FracTool#FM3

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ultitool-for-fas-devices.112538/#post-1345767

What about converting an XL+ preset based upon amp-matching to the AX8?

Would I lose the amp-matching?

I was thinking about purchasing some for the XL+ and then use them for both the XL+ and AX8 but I thought that I should check here before doing the purchase.

The ax-8 does not have the tone match block, but these can be converted to IR's that can be converted to the ax-8 I think. not sure how they would translate though, converting backwards quite often leaves something to be desired.

They may just be matched by ear, or they may be tone matches from an axe fx II changed into an ir. hard to tell exactly reading the description.

They are on sale right now for 40% off the usual price of $72 but I am not sure if I should even chance it since they are non-refundable.

I wish they had a sample one to try out and hear how it sounds.

Could you not just load the FM3 preset manually into the AX8?
Last night I watched a Youtube video of a preset for an FM3 being constructed and sat myself in front of the TV screen and duplicated the settings into my AX8 as best I could. I just followed the video and loaded the same amp, cab, delay etc, and ended up with a pretty good sound. It took about 10-15 minutes to do as the YT video was in a foreign language that I did not understand. :) It might not be ideal but it worked for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom