Is there a way to drop tune a 1/2 step?

naka2112

Inspired
We need to tune down a couple tunes a 1/2 step. Is there a reliable way to do this with the pitch block? Which type of pitch block do I use?

I realize it won't be perfect, but for a couple of tunes it should be better than having to have another guitar tuned down, or another pedal

Thanks

I use it for playing around, but in a performance I would tune a guitar down. for playing at home the whammy or detune will drop you 1/2 step. if you know the key and stay in it then the intel or custom scales can be used. there are many ways to do it. just have to see what works best for you. I could never get over the tracking issues to use it live.

I use the DigiTech Whammy DT Drop Tuning Pedal ($300.00) and it works really well with little to no tone loss. It also pitches up, so no need for a capo. Very convenient to have when you have different tunings in your set-list as we have. What a time-saver, no need to retune or swap guitars. I've gigged out many time with the unit, and it sounds great. DigiTech also makes the Polyphonic Drop Tune Pitch-Shift Pedal ($180.00) but it's a down shift only pedal and no whammy.

Dave

I used it in the same way as the instruction in the link in an earlier post, but went up a semi tone instead of down. We had a first dance request that was in Bbm and it was lovely to play with open strings ringing in Am so I just used the pitch shift up. It did give it a bit of a chorus type effect but that was good for this particular ballad anyway.

We need to tune down a couple tunes a 1/2 step. Is there a reliable way to do this with the pitch block? Which type of pitch block do I use?

I realize it won't be perfect, but for a couple of tunes it should be better than having to have another guitar tuned down, or another pedal

Thanks
Use the "Down Full Step PRE" factory preset, A5, and change 'Voice1 Shift" to -1.

EDIT: You could then save it as a Pitch Block Preset and use it in whatever preset you create.

Last edited:
Great posts!
My experience. The tone shifter up/down works great. I agree that is is mainly good for practicing and rapid change. On my MarkV:25 going 1/2 up or down on the FX8 kills the clean "sparkle" and deadens the life of the tone. On the dirty channels it is not very noticeable for my ear. So if you are live make sure and play around with if you want the FX8 or not to shift the tone up/down and my either look into other pedals or re-tuning the guitar for your gig.

Any tips on how to maintain the life/magic of the tone if you are are the clean channel on your amp and use the pitch shifting features?

Thanks everyone. I found the fixed harmony setting in the pitch block quite useable after a couple tweaks.

First thing is make sure your amp is loud enough that you can't hear your guitar acoustically. Sounds obvious, but even the slightest sound from your guitar directly will make it sound like there are weird tuning/tracking issues which are not really there.

Secondly, I turned the 2nd voice completely down in the mix. I only had the first voice tuned down to -1 with 100% mix. Sounded really good with great tuning. Small amount of latency, but useable. Having the 2nd voice off removed the flanged sound.

Great posts!
My experience. The tone shifter up/down works great. I agree that is is mainly good for practicing and rapid change. On my MarkV:25 going 1/2 up or down on the FX8 kills the clean "sparkle" and deadens the life of the tone. On the dirty channels it is not very noticeable for my ear. So if you are live make sure and play around with if you want the FX8 or not to shift the tone up/down and my either look into other pedals or re-tuning the guitar for your gig.

Any tips on how to maintain the life/magic of the tone if you are are the clean channel on your amp and use the pitch shifting features?

Most of the default Pitch block settings bring the High Cut parameter down significantly. You'd want to do that if you are pitching way up and blending it with the dry (like a 12-string emulation).

But if you have the mix at 100% and you are pitching up or down just a half step or so, then you don't want the Pitch block to filter at all. So bring HICUT FREQ back up to 20K, and make sure LOCUT FREQ is at 20.

I think the Pitch block results are very usable for Eb tuning. I just messed around with some quicker chickin picken stuff and the response was keeping up. If you have one or two songs that need it, this beats bringing an extra guitar.

Back
Top Bottom